Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VEC pay

• 14-08-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

Just wondering do VEC's pay every fortnight?
    I am starting a job at the end of August (maternity leave cover), so when should I expect my first pay check to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

Most VECs pay monthly but you can apply for a mid month advance. When I started in a vec I got my first pay on Sept 30th and was able to apply for mid month advance after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some VECs pay fortnightly. Your best bet would be to give the VEC you are working for a quick ring and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

oat wrote: »
    Most VECs pay monthly but you can apply for a mid month advance. When I started in a vec I got my first pay on Sept 30th and was able to apply for mid month advance after that

In both VECs I've worked in, the mid-month advance was automatic, with pay on the 15th and the last day of the month. It'd be no harm to ring and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

I am an NQT and recently secured a job in a Voluntary Secondary School! I was wondering whether this Thursday or next Thursday is a payday? I just wanted to know when I would be likely to be paid?!

sjms wrote: »
    I am an NQT and recently secured a job in a Voluntary Secondary School! I was wondering whether this Thursday or next Thursday is a payday? I just wanted to know when I would be likely to be paid?!

It's next Thursday is payday but it's paid in arrears so you probably won't be paid until the middle of September if they have got their paperwork up to scratch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

sjms wrote: »

What date is on your contract? I very much doubt you'll get paid this Thurs. As Rainbowtrout said, you'll be paid in arrears so at the very earliest it'll be 2 weeks after school officially starts, probably Sept 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rehab11

Just started in a VEC school (maternity cover) and theres talk that we wont get any pay until the end of October because we missed the deadline for September pay (we werent hired before the deadline) Is this right? I though teachers get paid every two weeks no matter what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I know I'm paid in arrears so I will only get paid for the first two weeks in September as the submission deadline is the 2nd Friday of the month

Thanks,

just think the end of October is very late!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

end of October! That's awful, I was hoping for the end of Sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

deemark wrote: »
    What date is on your contract? I very much doubt you'll get paid this Thurs. As Rainbowtrout said, you'll be paid in arrears so at the very earliest it'll be 2 weeks after school officially starts, probably Sept 15th.

Contract says 29th of August so I think I will be paid on the 8th? If 25th was the last payday for secondary teachers?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

rehab11 wrote: »
    Just started in a VEC school (maternity cover) and theres talk that we wont get any pay until the end of October because we missed the deadline for September pay (we werent hired before the deadline) Is this right? I though teachers get paid every two weeks no matter what!

My first teaching position was in a VEC a few years ago. I didn't get paid til the beginning of November. I was so poor by time it came in. Just be prepared for a wait. I'd definitely ring them and ask.

Give your VEC a ring and ask. No one here will be able to give you an answer. Just like everything else I assume some VECs are more efficient than others.

Cheers! Between waiting for my first pay check and waiting to get paid for correcting exams it looks like it'll be a quiet two months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Thanks,

just think the end of October is very late!

It is very late but if you are paid in arrears that is when your first wage will appear.

I had three years of that before I got an PRPT contract.

From my experience, maternity leave cover is paid in arrears and there is no pay for the holidays (but your rate of pay is higher from what I believe)

Spoke to the VEC and yes its true...no payment until the last Thursday in October :( the joys of starting a new job eh? 8 weeks and counting...

Advertisement