Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom email not working at weekend

Options
  • 14-08-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a name@eircom.net email account but eircom is no longer my broadband provider.
    I am using windows live mail and when I check my emails I'm told 'no new emails'. I know this is not the case. This has happened the past 2 weekends and both times it worked again on monday but there was no sign of the missing emails. When I log onto the eircom site there's no mail there for me either. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

snailsong wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a name@eircom.net email account but eircom is no longer my broadband provider.
    I am using windows live mail and when I check my emails I'm told 'no new emails'. I know this is not the case. This has happened the past 2 weekends and both times it worked again on monday but there was no sign of the missing emails. When I log onto the eircom site there's no mail there for me either. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi snailsong

Are you still having an issue with your eircom net e-mail?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Mark, It started working again just after midnight as it did for the last two Mondays but there's no mail showing for saturday or sunday, possibly friday too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Mark, It started working again just after midnight as it did for the last two Mondays but there's no mail showing for saturday or sunday, possibly friday too.

Hi snailsong,

Good to hear email is working again.

If you've lost email from Friday - Sunday and using Window's Live or another email client, it will difficult, if not impossible, to restore these mails. They could be stored on your computer.
    As it's only a couple of days, I would advise that you back up your email files right away, just incase you have the same problem. Possibly contact those you think may have sent you an email over this weekend, and ask them to resend their email, if they had sent any.

Let me know if you need any more help on this.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Hi snailsong,

Good to hear email is working again.

If you've lost email from Friday - Sunday and using Window's Live or another email client, it will difficult, if not impossible, to restore these mails. They could be stored on your computer.
    As it's only a couple of days, I would advise that you back up your email files right away, just incase you have the same problem. Possibly contact those you think may have sent you an email over this weekend, and ask them to resend their email, if they had sent any.

Let me know if you need any more help on this.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Ant,
    Thanks for your attention.
    Its not really practicable to contact everyone who might have mailed me.
    The missing emails are ones I never received from the eircom server so backing up will not help.
    I was hoping someone might have some idea what was wrong, in my uneducated view it would seem there's something wrong at your end.
    There is no indication that the problem is solved, as I said above the mail stops working on Friday and works again on Monday. I would prefer to know its fixed than wait for Friday to find out.

Ant,
    Thanks for your attention.
    Its not really practicable to contact everyone who might have mailed me.
    The missing emails are ones I never received from the eircom server so backing up will not help.
    I was hoping someone might have some idea what was wrong, in my uneducated view it would seem there's something wrong at your end.
    There is no indication that the problem is solved, as I said above the mail stops working on Friday and works again on Monday. I would prefer to know its fixed than wait for Friday to find out.

Thanks again,

Please PM your email address and I will ask Technical Support to confirm if your email account is working correctly.

Technial Support have also advised :
    Eircom cannot restore mails once they are downloaded via a client like Outlook Express, Window's Live mail, etc.

You should call into Tecnical Support if you need further confirmation. However, as suggested if you are unsure how many emails you received over this 2 day period, then you should contact anybody you believe that might have sent you an email. Generally over a weekend it is often quiet and you shouldn't have too many emails. Alternatively, you will need to do a complete search of your computer(s) for your emails.

I would also advise that you change your email password immediately. This will ensure that no other computers sources are accessing your email. For e.g. If I leave my computer on at work, it will automatically download my emails to my work computer. Hence I won't be able to access my emails at home. Please see link below (Password Changer).

http://autoreg.eircom.net/passwordchange/

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Let me know or PM your email address if you need me to have your email account checked.

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

You should call into Tecnical Support if you need further confirmation. However, as suggested if you are unsure how many emails you received over this 2 day period, then you should contact anybody you believe that might have sent you an email. Generally over a weekend it is often quiet and you shouldn't have too many emails. Alternatively, you will need to do a complete search of your computer(s) for your emails.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Let me know or PM your email address if you need me to have your email account checked.

Regards,
    Ant
    Comments like this are really not very helpful, maybe you can see why.

I clicked on the link and was told the my access was restricted as I was not using an Irish ISP. This is untrue, I have an irish ISP (vodafone). I also note I was advised to connect using eircom broadband. etc.
    ss

ed, I pm'd you my address

Comments like this are really not very helpful, maybe you can see why.

I clicked on the link and was told the my access was restricted as I was not using an Irish ISP. This is untrue, I have an irish ISP (vodafone). I also note I was advised to connect using eircom broadband. etc.
    ss

ed, I pm'd you my address

Hi snailsong,

Thanks for your Pm and for the opportunity to help you with clarifying your email problem.

I have checked your email account with Technical Support. They advise that they have tested this and it is working fine. Your mail box however is currently almost full. They advise that you will need to delete some of your emails /or back these up so that the mail box allows new emails to be downloaded.

When you have deleted these emails in your inbox, and other folders, then you will be able to download your current emails and any outstanding or larger emails that you haven't yet received.

The easiest way, I have found, to do this is to use the following Webmail website. Select the messages you wish to delete or save the emails you want to keep.

www.mail2web.com

Once you open the website (above), enter your full email address and password and log in to your email account through mail2web.

At the bottom of the 'mail2web' website, you will see an option to select 'ALL'. Tick this box.

You can then select 'Untick' and this will deselect the email's that you wish to keep.

I have advised Technical Support to upgrade your email account from old eircom Webmail to eircom's New Webmail. This will allow you to store up to 5GB and give you more options for customising your eircom Email Account. Please see FAQ's and New Webmail Tour LINKs below :

New Webmail - Tour

New Webmail - FAQs

This may take a few weeks. If your eircom email is not upgraded to eircom's New Webmail in 4 - 6 weeks, just let me know, or call into Technical Support.

Eircom cannot restore mails once they are downloaded via a client like Outlook Express or Window's Live Mail.

Technical Support have also advised that you change your current email password, using the 'Online Password Changer', below. However, if you are not connecting to the Internet through eircom, simply give Tech Support a call on the phone number below :

If you need further help or any clarification on your email account please call into Technical Support :

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up. Alternatively, let us know and we can chase this us as well with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If your having problems locating emails downloaded using Outlook Express or Thunderbird, just PM and ill help you out. Its not Eircoms fault, and its easy enough to get them back generally. :)

Thanks, Ant
    I will try what you suggest. I tried earlier but rceieved an err, time out message. I'll get back to it now.

Sully, thank you for your kind offer of help. I really don't believe the lost emails are on my computer but if nothing else works i'll contact you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks, Ant
    I will try what you suggest. I tried earlier but rceieved an err, time out message. I'll get back to it now.

Sully, thank you for your kind offer of help. I really don't believe the lost emails are on my computer but if nothing else works i'll contact you.

If you download emails from an application, they are stored on your computer in a hidden folder with a file you sometimes cant open. I'm fairly sure even if you delete them, they can still be found. :)

If the emails were sent but your third party application never received it at all, its very likely you wont see them again. If the eircom mailservers were down, the emails are either lost or will arrive later (generally the mailserver its sent from will try again over a period of days/weeks before giving up in the event the receiving server was down.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement