Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

barrel length

Options
  • 14-08-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

ok i have a cz 527 in 223 now i stored my rifle after cleaning with the silencer on, the crown of the barrel and about half an inch of the barrel itself is after becoming pitted (thats fair enough, my own fault) now i was told it was recrowned before so the barrel was cut back already,my question is how short would you have your barrel before getting a new barrel. thanks in advance, g84

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Depends how long you want the barrel in the first place. What length is it now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

CZ527 in 223 usually come in with 24" barrels. If yours has been cut back already so there is either a 1/2" or 3/4" cut back to allow for new threading.

Saying that if there is a fault/damage cutting it back again would not be a problem. Another 1/2" or 3/4" will not effect overall performance. So in total you'll have lost between 1" and 1.5" leaving you with a 22.5-23" barrel. You will not loose any if much performance from most any factory round with this shortening.

I always apply copper grease to the threading. It keeps the threading/mod lubricated, has a high temp tolerance so will prevent over tighening from heat, and will help prevent further pitting. Trick is to clean the excess every now and then and apply a new coating while the rifle stored with the mod off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gunning84

thanks eridax much appreciated!

Advertisement