Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting leaving cert. results

• 14-08-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So I'm 18, but won't be available until later on in the day to collect results. My mam will no doubt go in the morning to collect them, and being incredibly nosy will probably open them and discuss it with everyone else.

Seeing as I'm over 18, could I explicitly ask the principal NOT to allow her to take them or view them? Or does my mam have a right to see them? We aren't close at all, and my life doesn't really involve her.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Mackay wrote: »
    So I'm 18, but won't be available until later on in the day to collect results. My mam will no doubt go in the morning to collect them, and being incredibly nosy will probably open them and discuss it with everyone else.

Seeing as I'm over 18, could I explicitly ask the principal NOT to allow her to take them or view them? Or does my mam have a right to see them? We aren't close at all, and my life doesn't really involve her.

Just ring the principal and tell him/her to make sure your results aren't given to anyone but you and that you'll be collecting them in the afternoon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Mackay wrote: »

you're the person who did the exams so you should be the only one who gets them if you so wish. Just ring your principal and ask him not to give them to anyone but you when you come to collect them later

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Technically speaking, your Mam shouldn't be allowed to get the results. If you really don't want her to see them you should do as LittleMissCiara recommends, but would it make that much of a difference if she did? I probably sound three times my age in saying this; but I'm sure she only has your best interests in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

dambarude wrote: »
    Technically speaking, your Mam shouldn't be allowed to get the results. If you really don't want her to see them you should do as Ciara recommends, but would it make that much of a difference if she did? I probably sound three times my age in saying this; but I'm sure she only has your best interests in mind.

FYP! :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Par'n me m'am.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

they usually don't allow anyone but you to collect them unless you have told the school otherwise... in my school the principal wouldn't give a parent the envelope unless the student had dropped in and asked beforehand for the parent to receive it

to be sure, I'd take Ciara's advice and ring but technically they shouldn't give it to her without your consent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school should only give them to you.

In general though, many of us were not close to our parents as late teenagers, but when they are gone you really regret the small unnecessary hurts you may have caused them.

You don't know for sure your mother will look at them and tbh if she does, is it that big a deal? If she tells people, it's because she's proud of you.

Don't do something you might regret one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Biscuits.

Geez guys, don't jump to conclusions, you have no idea what the situation between this person and their mother is and you're siding with the mother?

My mother rang the school and asked could she collect them because I stayed in my mate's last night and I couldn't make it in time, they said yes, she could collect them and she did. You can ring up though and make sure she doesn't, you have a pin for the same reason -- for privacy and you're completely entitled to make sure nobody collects them whether you're 18 or not, I'd imagine.

Advertisement