Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Utd - Monday 15th

Options
  • 14-08-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Good news from the Hawthorns today:-

Rio out for 6weeks, Vidic out for 2weeks, Rafael out for 10weeks.
    De Gea looked nervous too, West Brom were unlucky not to take a point.

They will have a make-shfit defence with Jones and De Gea both making home debuts.

Bodes well for the Spurs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Good news from the Hawthorns today:-

Rio out for 6weeks, Vidic out for 2weeks, Rafael out for 10weeks.
    De Gea looked nervous too, West Brom were unlucky not to take a point.

They will have a make-shfit defence with Jones and De Gea both making home debuts.

Bodes well for the Spurs!

Agree it all bodes well for Spurs, but this game is rigged.
    If we get anything out of this game I'll be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

This game always seems to be a waste of travel expenses. Really hope we can end this appalling run but I'm not optimistic. United always do us over at OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Agree it all bodes well for Spurs, but this game is rigged.
    If we get anything out of this game I'll be amazed.

Agree. Chronic record at OT, something always happens, ie we throw one in, or they get a dodgy decsion or a controversial incident. Tell me HW is not the ref :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hah yeah this is the one game of the season that you can chalk us down for a loss on day 1. Something always conspires (step forward Mr. Webb and Mr. Clattenburg) to ruin any chance of competing. That and the obvious lack of mental strength lacking in the team when playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The optimism is infectious lads;)

United are gonna struggle to put a defence together, and this is as good a chance as any to do them over! Jones, Evans, Smalling and Fabio are their only defenders not injured, plus one suspect keeper...

That said, we'll probably get Defoe sent off in the 12th minute and concede a penalty in the late on;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'll be the Battle of 2 Keepers next Monday i'd say.

Not that it matters. We'll get some decision against us, that will cost us. It always happens. Hell of a 1st game of the season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I Never expect anything off united but by god i'd dance if we did come away with a win. i'm saying an ambitious draw. even in pre-sean I didn't think much of De Gea.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a goalkeeping error cost Utd the game for a change :P

Saying that, i hate seeing goalkeepers make mistakes, so i'd prefer a comprehensive win.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

I for one will be laying Us at around 5-6's...
    We can NEVER win at Old Trafford!

Mite as well make money from our misery :D... We could nick a draw tho'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

What a great game to open the season with, can't wait!

Not expecting to get anything from the match, not through any fault of our own though, the old Trafford fixture always seems like a cruel joke. Still, it'll be great to see our new striker in action, whoever that may end up being.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if a goalkeeping error cost Utd the game for a change :P

Saying that, i hate seeing goalkeepers make mistakes, so i'd prefer a comprehensive win.

The only thing that would make me happier than that would be if the ref contributed in some crazy way to a win for us - undo all the wrongs committed against us over the last few years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maynoothspur

Cant see us picking up anything from this game. That said this is probably our best chance in years to get one over on them but we need the lads to show some steel. Any word on VDV & Gallas for this one? At least were getting it outta the way early so it won't become a stumbling block later on and mess up a good run.

Lee Probert is the ref.

Not inspiring... Fluffed his lines at OT before and handed the gooners two penalties against us last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

We have a chance in this i reckon lack of confidence in there back line. its a bit all over the place and De Gea and home will be a nervous wreck id imagine. We can all hope i suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I reckon we'll end our old trafford jinx in this one with a win.
    we seem to be going under everybody's radar at the min.i reckon we could shock a few people this year.

Modric not playing tomorrow. Niggling injury but his head isn't right, according to Harry on Talksport this evening.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Modric not playing tomorrow. Niggling injury but his head isn't right, according to Harry on Talksport this evening.

Head isn't right? That sounds like a pretty lame excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

BAE on facing United: “What’s his name? Yeah, Ashley Young. We used to play against him when he was at Aston Villa and we did alright." <<< Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Heading to the boozer tonight for this one and how I would love us to get something from this game. Once again i will be surrounded by horrible Manu fans and i would do anything to just once be able to wipe the smirk from their faces - think back to the Mendes incident, Carricks dive for the penalty, Nanis handball and consequent allowed goal last season etc.

I think tonight we have a chance. A back 4 of Smalling, Jones, Evans and Evra should be weak enough for the likes of VDV, Bale and especially Lennon ( who has the beating of Evra) to create a few chances tonight.
    If our back 4 can handle their forwards we may get something. A draw would be great, a win would be bloody marvelous.

COYS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

10/1 for the likes of vdv and 16s on bale for 1st goal aint bad bets !

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

1-1 with Utd equalising in the 94th minute with a penalty scored after five re-takes

:rolleyes:

RichMc70 wrote: »
    1-1 with Utd equalising in the 94th minute with a penalty scored after five re-takes

:rolleyes:

I think we'll score alright, I just really worry when Gomes is put under serious pressure, which he will be for a phase tonight.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I think we'll score alright, I just really worry when Gomes is put under serious pressure, which he will be for a phase tonight.

That's when I worry least about him :D

It's when there's zero pressure that I get nervy...will he somehow do a bicycle kick into our net while trying to take a kick out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I'm quite confident about tonight, although I am a bearing in mind how we tend to do in OT. Stuck a tenner on VDV to score first, fingers crossed it works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

BAE on facing United: “What’s his name? Yeah, Ashley Young. We used to play against him when he was at Aston Villa and we did alright." <<< Legend

FFS *face palm*

Well there goes any chance of a result tonight.
    Wait and see BAE give away a stupid free kick/penalty/handball/own goal/* in the 91st minute tonight.

* = insert your own ridiculous-slash-comical piece of play in here where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Getting the jitters already about this match, both sides like to attack so it’s going to be an entertaining game. We just need to take our chances when presented with them, Defoe has that glint back in his eye.

Nerves building!
    ITK on tweeting Modric will start....! Mind games from HR?!
    COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Fancy us to do the job tonight. They have a new untried nervy defense and we have a fully fit Garry bale n Lennon to cause serious problems for Evra, who doesn't seem like he's fully fit or at least match fit. Thinking this is our best chance for years to get one over on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    Fancy us to do the job tonight. They have a new untried nervy defense and we have a fully fit Garry bale n Lennon to cause serious problems for Evra, who doesn't seem like he's fully fit or at least match fit. Thinking this is our best chance for years to get one over on them.
    Every match v united I say this is our best chance in years :pac: :(

Advertisement