Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Utd - Monday 15th

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

My only highlight..our lads chanting at nani " your just a sh*te michael jackson"....quality :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Terrible performance in the 2nd half. 1st was decent, but we did absolutely nothing good after that. Midfield was all over the place, and defence wasn't much better. I thought Kaboul was at fault for 2 of the goals, as he constantly let his man get behind him which caused Dawson to have to come across to try and cover him. Our forwards were exactly what we've come to expect from our forwards. Only good point of the night was that Friedel had a great game, and should have cemented his position as number 1.

Overall, no surprise though. We were never going to get anything at Old Trafford. We've not moved on at all from last year, and it showed tonight. How we've not brought anyone in this off season is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

The level of fitness and/or speed in midfield was worrying tonight.
    Exceptions to the rule, Livermore, Defoe, Kaboul, Ekotto, Lennon and Bale.
    Niko good passing but not slick enough in final third. Knew he would be over run in 2nd half.
    Vdv, what can I say. Not quick enough, disjointed the team and several times he could have played in Defoe. Super sub material not 90 minutes.
    I think we need to give more youth a chance like Andros Townsend and Jake Livermore as we have got to cover the pitch.
    Looks like Mod is gone, so will have to be replaced.
    We need a Silva type player. Creative and box to box.
    Won't get to negative yet though!
    Signings surely to come.
    Fair play to United.
    Lost a fiver to a United Fan, even had the benefit of the draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Our decision making in the final third was shocking. Lennon, Bale, VDV and Defoe all took the wrong option almost every time. Kranjcar and Livermore got overrun in the 2nd half as was to be expected. You cannot go to OT playing those two in CM and two out-and-out wingers. We lumped far too many balls up to Defoe which just came straight back, on the rare occasions that we kept it on the deck I thought we troubled their back four.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

We had a power-cut here from the 8th min till the 84th min:mad: not a happy boy here.don't think il even bother watching the highlights oh well..

Arent you lucky....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ok, first game of the season, Utd had 8 days prior to this game and we had to travel home from Scotland within 4days and play again.

Lets not knee-jerk too much....! Knee-jerk if we can't put Citeh to the sword!

What gets my goat is the interview by Harry after the game “We need one or two and we need some characters and I’ve said this for a long time to the chairman. I know exactly who we need and if the chairman can help me get them then we’ll be a better team”

PS.. It's all Daniels fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

marty2002 wrote: »
    Arent you lucky....

Not really was really looking forward to watching it had a few beers in the fridge ready to go then bang nothing..it came back on we were two down and the missus wasn't helping either with her usual sur its only a game there will be another one on tomorrow crap..arrgh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Kiith wrote: »
    I thought Kaboul was at fault for 2 of the goals, as he constantly let his man get behind him which caused Dawson to have to come across to try and cover him.
    I disagree, need to see it again but i defo think dawson was marking wellbeck for the first goal, but was too far away. I think kaboul and one other were man on man in the box. Dawson just gave him too much room. Likewis with the rooney goal, daws was taking him up, just too far way. You could see daws reaction after the third, he knew was caught out badly. Superb header by rooney though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

BREAKING NEWS. Harry Redknapp announces he is to leave his post of talking to Sky Sports & Talksport and take over the managers job at Tottenham!

Whats the wheeler and dealer advert! Media Whore!
    http://youtu.be/cRwalxQIkuw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

BREAKING NEWS. Harry Redknapp announces he is to leave his post of

I read that far and got excited :o Tonight further showed why we need a new manager, United were there for the taking yet Harry seemed incapable of taking advantage of the situation. We need a manager who actually can implement a few tactics, other than "just run around for a bit".. The sooner The FA come calling the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

First game of the season against Utd was inevitably going down as a loss. We as Spurs fans have waited a long time to get one over on them and always believe this season we’ll finally do it, suppose we’re just going to have to wait a little while longer.

We’re short of match fitness, the midfield ran out of steam in the 2nd half. Few new faces to spruce things up and we’ll be okay. Friedel's performance showed why he’ll be number 1, he didn’t deserve to concede 3 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    . Friedel's performance showed why he’ll be number 1, he didn’t deserve to concede 3 goals.[/FONT]

+1 on that

He pulled off some great saves, defo didnt deserve 3 goals past him

Reckon it would have been 5 if Gomes was in.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Our biggest problem is VDV .. he's just not a striker. He's also lazy, make daft tackles, gets stupid bookings.. I could go on. Totally unbalances the team. Offers nothing in the last 15mins of any games. We need a proper target man.

Lennon was muck, decision making was poor. But thats lennon; he's either hot or cold.

Yes there a case for new players but thats not going to resolve everthing. With the players we have and the ability/potential we know they have we should be doing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

In a way its better that we lost comprehensively and where so out played. I'm almost gald we lost 3-nil properly rather than going down 1 nil to stupid own goal/poor ref decision or something similar.

That would have just masked the result but now its plain for all to see that we have gone backwards in the last 2 years.

We are no where near ready to challenge for any title and we'll be lucky to mount any sort of a top 4 assault.

With the fixtures we have coming up we could be in for some testing times if we dont turn it around against city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

THFC wrote: »
    I read that far and got excited :o Tonight further showed why we need a new manager, United were there for the taking yet Harry seemed incapable of taking advantage of the situation. We need a manager who actually can implement a few tactics, other than "just run around for a bit".. The sooner The FA come calling the better!

united are never there for the taking at old trafford, anyone who thinks that is fooling themselves.

people think we did well in the first half, thats true but its only cos united were coasting and had several gears in reserve as we saw in the second half. it could have been 5 or 6 except for poor finishing by them and friedal making good saves.

we are miles behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I thought we were atrocious once we approached their half of the pitch, absolutely no creativity, defoe just ran with the ball for a bit, ran out of ideas and kicked the damn thing away. He's useless! Lennon wasn't much better, he showed some great pace and then.... nothing, no end product.

I was very dissapointed with dawson too, normally solid, he was at fault for 2 of the goals. Friedal was the only positive in that game.

We need to ship Modric NOW and get at least 1 good striker in. I thought the last 2 transfer windows were frustrating but this takes the biscuit. What the hell is going on here? It's blatantly obvious that the current squad is lacking in key areas.

Another dissapointment was Harry's tactics, central midfield couldn't hack it, there seemed to be a big hole there at times with nobody breaking up runs from united players. We need to get the finger out before its too late, although I think it might be too late already at this stage especially with the dicking around with modric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

mushykeogh wrote: »
    I disagree, need to see it again but i defo think dawson was marking wellbeck for the first goal, but was too far away. I think kaboul and one other were man on man in the box. Dawson just gave him too much room. Likewis with the rooney goal, daws was taking him up, just too far way. You could see daws reaction after the third, he knew was caught out badly. Superb header by rooney though.

Im wrong and i say im wrong!
    Kiith wrote: »
    I thought Kaboul was at fault for 2 of the goals, as he constantly let his man get behind him which caused Dawson to have to come across to try and cover him.

First goal: bae bale and Livermore i think, are wide right covering 2 utd players, in the box, Kaboul has Wellbeck, daws has Rooney. Nani(i think) has crept into the box unmarked behind bae et al. Kaboul moves forward to cover this, ball is crossed and kaboul is caught between wellbeck and Nani, Daws tries to get across to Wellbeck but its too late. Hard to blame but id possibly go with Livermore, was too eager to close down cleverly, 3 spurs on two utd which created the space in behind. In fairness to Kaboul,if he stayed with wellbeck and cleverly plays it into Nani, its prob still going to be a goal.

second goal: Well, Anderson had a free run through the middle so one on the CM's has to take a bit of flak. Kaboul rushes Anderson who plays in Wellbeck, Wellbeck backheels it back to Anderson who kept running, kaboul had stopped! It was given away by Corluka up in their half originally and they just over ran us, BAE was also way out of position but thats what happens when you chase the game.

Third goal: Harsh but Daws just a little too far away from Rooney, Giggs was also given acres of room at the edge of the box to cross it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For the 3rd goal, I'd blame the two people who let Giggs through. Can't remember who it was exactly, but there's no way Giggs should have been given as much time as he got.

Either way, it was a poor performance in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spurskiely

Bad night at the races . Brad Fred only player who can come out of this game with head held high . But if we get result against City Sunday not too many will remember last nights game . Bring in Lass and Adebayor for Sunday game and have a right go .

Bring in klinsmann as manager i say.. he's available at the minute.
    Im getting sick of harry whoring himself to the media every other day its starting to get embarrassing at this stage.it might be a knee jerk reaction but if i was levy id be seriously thinking about sooner rather than later.everyone knows as soon as the England job comes up harry will jump ship straight away..do it levy you know it makes sense..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Bring in klinsmann as manager i say.. he's available at the minute.

He just got the USA job a month or so ago. I'd say he'll be there till after the next World Cup barring any major slip ups. Its a pity. Happy for him though :)

thudd wrote: »
    He just got the USA job a month or so ago. I'd say he'll be there till after the next World Cup barring any major slip ups. Its a pity. Happy for him though :)

No way never heard that oh well there goes that idea anyway..happy for him too he'll always be a legend at the lane..who would you like to see coming in if say harry went?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Difficult to single one manager out at the minute really. Ancellotti could work, then again he's always had very strong sides that most managers could do well with. Then there's Benitez, not sure if all his tinkering around and overly tactical approach would work for us.

Feck it, if Harry was to go, give me the Chris Hughton & Gus Poyet combination!

good shout there with chris & gus..im thinking the dortmund coach can't think of his name atm but watching then last season he had them playing some fantastic football and he's fairly young too..
    jurgen kloop he's called..or the mad genius as they call him in germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I like Redknapp, and would like him to retain his job for as long as he chooses. We’ve been through the managerial roundabout far too often.

Just have a look back over our league positions since the premier league started. We played the champions and got spanked, so will the majority of clubs who travel to OT.

Advertisement