Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next step 223

Options
  • 14-08-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi guys

Been shooting for about a year and love it. I first got a .22 and then soon after a shotgun. I do both target/clays and hunting.

I'm looking to move up after many attempts of shooting rabbits that bit far away with my .22.

So what 223 should I go for?

What type is best for both targets and hunting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Tikka tac;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Tikka tac;)

Yes did get a chance to handle one, was a bit on the heavy side for hunting.

Anyone currently using one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

i use one
    hard to beat ,they are a bit heavy alright ,especially with a mod on

brilliant gun though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

defib wrote: »
    Yes did get a chance to handle one, was a bit on the heavy side for hunting.

Anyone currently using one?
    Not sure if any one shoots them here but have shot one myself ......Very accurate ;)Unless you go down the custom road it going to be hard to find a light hunting rifle thats accurate enough to target shoot as well .What had you in mind when you say target shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Anything heavy enough to be good and useful for targets is going to be a bear for hunting, but it'll be manageable anyway. Any of the Sako/Savage/Tikka/Remington varmint type builds will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tomcat220t and It wasn't me have it on the money. You will not a rifle thats great at both, but for the money and performance the Tikka is the best option.

Excellent action, heavy barrel (a must for target work, but not so much for hunting), usually a 1:9 twist (but not always) so can handle the heavier 75gr rounds for that bit of long distance stuff.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭podge.243
    Paul Murphy

Well defid, the lad's are dead right Tikka is the gun you shud go for:) lovely gun to fire :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I didn't find the Tikka Tac heavy at all, very well balanced I thought :confused: Then again, my own rig is a little bit heavier I'd imagine at 14lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

i was in the very same boat as yourself sold my 22lr and bought a tikka lite with stainless barrell in 223 and i love it, i wouldnt part with it for anything and i know you will be the same if you make the move up.seriously accurate gun !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

johngalway wrote: »
    I didn't find the Tikka Tac heavy at all, very well balanced I thought :confused: Then again, my own rig is a little bit heavier I'd imagine at 14lbs.

Little bit heavier? It's like lugging Lead around bog!!! (with some stones attached to the lead)

I've just bought a VSSF (fluted) myself.... Not looking forward to the weight, at all! I hope the extra weight is worth it....

• Advertisement

Glensman wrote: »
    Little bit heavier? It's like lugging Lead around bog!!! (with some stones attached to the lead)

:pac: Decent feed of porridge in the morning and you'd never even know it was there, sets ya up for the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

I got a tikka tac just under 2 months ago and Im sorry now that I did. In the shop I knew it felt a bit heavy but I told myself Id get used to it. Already Ive cut a few hunting trips short because the weight kills ya after a few hours. I'd strongly advise against it.

But..... if you do decide to plough on then youd be hard pushed to get one as close to new as mine (reciets and all to prove age) and less than 50 hornady vmax put through her... open to offers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That's the problem with a gun that is designed to be used from a static position by a fit young soldier or member of a civilian TFU.

They are heavy. On purpose.

Over in the USA last month I got to handle a brand new rifle. The 30" barrel was wrapped in carbon fibre, with a Kevlar stock and a titanium/receiver action. It had holes in the bolt handle and the bolt knob was hollowed out, even the action was relieved down the left-hand side. The barrel was crowned with what I sincerely hope was a very effective muzzle brake.

Why hope?

Well, it was only availabe in one calibre - 7mm Remington Magnum.

...and it weighed in at exactly five pounds.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Tikka tac all the way. I had one for about 1 & half years and I brought it everywhere with me. Up mountains threw fields.

Sure there are lighter rifles out there but if you want a good target/varnent rifle you can't beet it for out of the box accuracy. The only reason i sold it is because I went down the custom rout which is the only way to match the tikka for all round performance.

And for all the 12 year old girls up ther that say that it's to heavy well what do you want. A little light barrel mountain rifle is only a bit lighter and it won't be any good for target shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Don't overlook the brno/cz if you're only going to be popping foxes with a bit of informal target work , they are very well made and great value for money , also why go for a heavy barrel if you don't need it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Arthur.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    And for all the 12 year old girls up ther that say that it's to heavy well what do you want. A little light barrel mountain rifle is only a bit lighter and it won't be any good for target shooting.

Well if you want to go tikka tac try this.

My tikka tac fully kitted comes in at exactly 17.1lb... Get yourself an auld hurley or something. Wrap it up in 17lb of lead (and dont forget to throw an extra 9 or 10lb on your shoulder for your battery pack) and go for a 5 hour walk around the fields (or however long you hunt for). If your happy with all that weight, then great... go for a tikka tac. If your not happy then I guess your in the girl club with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Got a Tikka a little while ago. Great rifle. I got a 3 point sling for it so now it carries itself :D

Highly recommended! I am a n00b at rifles but I hit a lucozade bottle at 320 yards the other day. (yes I was zeroing before anyone has a fanny attack :P Now I know how many clicks I need for 320 yards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Arthur. wrote: »
    Well if you want to go tikka tac try this.

My tikka tac fully kitted comes in at exactly 17.1lb... Get yourself an auld hurley or something. Wrap it up in 17lb of lead (and dont forget to throw an extra 9 or 10lb on your shoulder for your battery pack) and go for a 5 hour walk around the fields (or however long you hunt for). If your happy with all that weight, then great... go for a tikka tac. If your not happy then I guess your in the girl club with the rest of us.

poor baby, maybe its a golf cart you need:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

My .223 HS Precision stock Glass and Pillar bedded,24" Varmint contour truflite barrel with Burris Tactical extreme mounts, NF 8-32x56 NXS, Harris 9-13" Bipod and ASE S5 weighs in at 14lb.

Very accurate, but light enough to be usable in the field

My .223 HS Precision stock Glass and Pillar bedded,24" Varmint contour truflite barrel with Burris Tactical extreme mounts, NF 8-32x56 NXS, Harris 9-13" Bipod and ASE S5 weighs in at 14lb.

Very accurate, but light enough to be usable in the field

That means mine will be a similar weight when she arrives. She has 26" varmint fluted barrel with the ASE Northstar...

• Advertisement

Glensman wrote: »
    That means mine will be a similar weight when she arrives. She has 26" varmint fluted barrel with the ASE Northstar...

:D :P

johngalway wrote: »
    :D :P

I know... I'm dreading the weight! I'm hoping the fluting on the barrel is going to magically make it a LOT lighter! (Fooling myself, I know, I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I use one of these for the stalking rifle it puts all the weight of the rilfe on your waist. $50 well spent.

http://www.gunslingercorral.com/blog.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

clivej wrote: »
    I use one of these for the stalking rifle it puts all the weight of the rilfe on your waist. $50 well spent.

http://www.gunslingercorral.com/blog.asp

Good one - I like that.

tac

Advertisement