Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Broad Lough, Wicklow

Options
  • 14-08-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, Can anyone provide a few fishing tips in Broad Lough, Wicklow?
    Such as what kind of fishes and what kind bait to use etc?
    And is there any regulation in fishing there?

I was walking passing there a couple times and saw fishes in the water every time with naked eyes. Thinking that might be a good spot.
    Thanks for the advices in advance.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

The fish you are seeing is most likely mullet I've only ever walked past it myself, tactics for mullet are very simple small spinning rod / small reel with light line around 6lb - 8lb, bubble float and size 8 trout hook with flakes of bread or mackerel skin as the bait, you will need to ground bait the area and have lots of patience, or if you able to fly fish you could try using various buzzers and nymph fly's

good luck catching them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shanghai_stin

peterk19 wrote: »
    The fish you are seeing is most likely mullet I've only ever walked past it myself, tactics for mullet are very simple small spinning rod / small reel with light line around 6lb - 8lb, bubble float and size 8 trout hook with flakes of bread or mackerel skin as the bait, you will need to ground bait the area and have lots of patience, or if you able to fly fish you could try using various buzzers and nymph fly's

good luck catching them

Thank you very much peterk19!
    I'll definitly try the small hooks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

plenty of good flounder up there to, just before the bridge,

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Anyone got some more tips for fishing this spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Not sure
    But there must be sea trout in it?

jack01986 wrote: »
    Anyone got some more tips for fishing this spot?

• Advertisement

Potentially sea trout, was thinking of some flounder potentially.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There certainly are sea trout in Broad Lough. Mostly they are bound for the Vartry.
    Of course, you will need a state salmon license to fish for sea trout and the season is now closed.
    There are some enormous mullet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Thought as much
    The trick now for you is finding the marks !!
    slowburner wrote: »
    There certainly are sea trout in Broad Lough. Mostly they are bound for the Vartry.
    Of course, you will need a state salmon license to fish for sea trout and the season is now closed.
    There are some enormous mullet there.

I thought as much. I wouldn't be looking to catch them either, would prefer something flatter.

Advertisement