Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overshoes v Waterproof Socks

• 14-08-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Hey, sorry to be a bore but I'm looking to order in my wet gear for the winter now so I'm prepared and have no excuse to stop cycling! I'm good for jackets, trousers, base layers etc. What I don't have are overshoes and waterproof socks, if I was to go for these overshoes would there be any point in buying socks too? I know water may come through the pedal section on my shoes but surely it's not that much?

Any advice from those who travel/train in the rain is welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

used to have goretex overshoes, now pearl izumi neoprene. Neither kept my feet dry over a 30 min commute in medium rain. Now just bring a spare pair of socks. You could try seal skinz waterproof socks, but think that a spare pair of normal socks would work just as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tend to get water coming in through the top anyway so on really horrible days (last wed night torrential rain thunder lightening ) i would wear sealskinz and thin overshoes (keeps my feet warm )

Today for instance i had thin socks and thin overshoes feet lovely and warm, wet mind (heavy showers) i find my thick 3mm neoprene overshoes a bit too warm most of the year

sorry thin ones like these
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-endure-h20-multi-fit-overshoes/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I wear the overshoes in the cold and sealskinz when it's raining (with overshoes).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Endura neoprene overshoes. Practically half the world swears by them. Will keep your shoes dry in all but torrential downpours. Even then you'll be wet bu warm.

I wore them last year in the heavy snow with two pairs of socks on, stayed dry and toasty.

Main problem with waterproof socks is that wet shoes take days to dry out properly and they smell. Overshoes dry out quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Full mudguards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Thanks for the responses, I actually have full mudguards on my bike - too lazy to take them off for summer months (I know, I know).

So once I have the overshoes there won't be too much of a need for waterproof socks so unless it's a downpour.

Overshoes with shorts/tights, pointless? I figure if I could get the overshoes really well fitting it should stop majority of water getting in or would it be advisable to wear waterproof socks too in that case?

Again, sorry for schoolboy questions just don't want to spend money on kit that won't benefit me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Hey, sorry to be a bore but I'm looking to order in my wet gear for the winter now so I'm prepared and have no excuse to stop cycling! I'm good for jackets, trousers, base layers etc. What I don't have are overshoes and waterproof socks, if I was to go for these overshoes would there be any point in buying socks too? I know water may come through the pedal section on my shoes but surely it's not that much?

Any advice from those who travel/train in the rain is welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

I have those BBB HardWear Shoe Covers and find them great, they are actually quite good at keeping the water out. The wet runs off the waterproof surface unlike some absorbent overshoes, like the
    Planet X Neoprene Overshoes which are rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    Full mudguards.
    Plus long mudflap on front mudguard.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fenders.html
    Fenders don't extend down as far as they might for maximum protection, because the ends would be vulnerable to damage from curbs and the like. Instead, flexible extensions called "mudflaps" are a valuable addition. Spray comes off the wheel as a "rooster tail", and is ejected almost directly upward if a fender extends down only as far as the "equator" of the tire. A suitable front mudflap which extends almost all the way to the ground will keep spray off your feet and the bicycle's bottom-bracket area.

Makes a surprisingly big difference.

Thanks for the responses, I actually have full mudguards on my bike

What happens to your feet when it rains?

What happens to your feet when it rains?

They get wet... I was only replying to your original post mentioning mudguards.

• Advertisement

They get wet... I was only replying to your original post mentioning mudguards.

In my limited experience there is a massive difference in foot wetness between bikes with no mudguards compared to bikes with full mudguards.

I don't wear overshoes when I walk, so I have this idea that wet feet when cycling are entirely a result of spray from the tyres, which ought to be mitigated by mudguards (with appropriately dorky flap extensions, on which tomasrojo is resident expert).

If you need waterproof socks and overshoes to stop your feet from getting soaking, and you have full mudguards, then I'm surprised. Seems like waterproof socks and neoprene overshoes would be overkill.

In my limited experience there is a massive difference in foot wetness between bikes with no mudguards compared to bikes with full mudguards.

I don't wear overshoes when I walk, so I have this idea that wet feet when cycling are entirely a result of spray from the tyres, which ought to be mitigated by mudguards (with appropriately dorky flap extensions, on which tomasrojo is resident expert).

If you need waterproof socks and overshoes to stop your feet from getting soaking, and you have full mudguards, then I'm surprised. Seems like waterproof socks and neoprene overshoes would be overkill.

Sorry may have done a ninja edit while you typed your reply! Dawned on me what you were getting at. The overshoes would only be for cycling in very heavy downpours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Sealkinz over a pair of merino socks for me -takes care of warmth and waterproofness in one (well, two). I'd stick some overshoes on, but for me it'd only be about keeping the muck off me nice shoes than anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Overshoes are the way to go. I found the neoprene(sp?) wetsuit types to be awkward to take on and off. Look for thin flexible material with placed zips to allow easy on/off. When you are soaking wet in full rain gear you really want to be able to pull off your overshoes with ease.

Consider having a look at the lbs before shopping online so you can try them in person. You can always order online afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Considering moving to Sealskinz myself for this winter, as I got a bit sick of overshoes. Would you recommend the light or the thermal merino wool ones? As rain doesn't correlate with cold in this country (quite the opposite in fact), I'm afraid the merino will keep me too warm most of the time. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Sorry for continuing to hijack the thread, but what about these ones? My instinct would tell me the normal ones would work better, but is anyone familiar with those?

Advertisement