Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan Landmarks

Options
  • 14-08-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I was down in Lucan village today and took a couple of photos of the old fountain.

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=10366

It doesn't work anymore, but it has been freshly repainted in black and silver. Just a while ago it was black and gold and was looking a little shabby. But when I was young it still worked and it was painted green.

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=10365

In fact there were two of these fountains: the one here close to St. Mary's BNS and another at the far end of Main St., outisde where the first Ulster Bank was.

When was the other one removed and what became of it? And when did it/they stop dispensing water?

The manufacturer was Glenfield & Kenndy Ld. of Kilmarnock.

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=10368

According to this museum it was known as the Kennedy's Patent Self-closing Fountain and according to the manufacturer's website it was a fire hydrant. Presumably it was both and fire hoses could be attached via what are probably valves around the brow of the head.

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=10370

So, anyone else remember using these? :)

Even better, does anyone have any photos of other old Lucan features and the stories behind them, especially of ones that are unfortunately no longer with us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

King John's bridge - the oldest bridge in Ireland

griffeen_bridge.jpg

King John's Bridge

The remains of a ruined bridge span the River Griffeen parallel to the present day Esker Bridge at Lynche's Lane. Proudly acclaimed to be the oldest bridge in Ireland, it is perhaps the most important archaeological structure within the park. This bridge, which is recorded on 18th century maps, was commissioned by King John at some time during his reign between 1199 - 1216, and is known as King John's Bridge.

King John was renowned for building many bridges duringhis reign and is often known as the 'Bridge-Minded Monarch'. The bridge probably fell into disuse between 1780 and 1816. Only one arch remains of the original three arches of equal span. The stonework and construction is described as being of high quality and probably involved the skills of a master craftsman. There was a water mill situated a little upstream from King John's Bridge and a second one was a little upstream again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I used to think people were messing when they said it was the oldest bridge in Ireland! There you go!

Here is a photo of the fountain that I took a while back:

picture.php?albumid=1189&pictureid=10408

It was painted (at least partially) red at some stage and you can even see some of the old green.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

There's a statue thing of St Mary in Dodsboro, how long has it been here does anyone know?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    There's a statue thing of St Mary in Dodsboro, how long has it been here does anyone know?

According to the Lucan Newsletter it's been there since 1954. People from The Burra (Dodsboro) call it "The Statue" or "The Grotto".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So, anyone else remember using these? :)
    Yes :)

There was also a hand pumped one in Sarsfield Park. It wasn't like this one but was taller and had a long handle.

However, you missed out on another of these fire hydrants/fountains. If you take the Lock road from Bob Carroll's (Courtney's) towards Newastle, there's a small 'stream' on the right hand side, halfway between Carroll's and the newcastle road and N4 junction. This stream of water seems to have been manually diverted into this concrete drain at this point. There used to be one of the water fountains there and I remember drinking from it as a kid myself :) (Don't know if I've described the location well at all there but you get the general idea, I hope).

Three cheers for Google Street View :) See here. You can see a metal post where it used to be :)
    Even better, does anyone have any photos of other old Lucan features and the stories behind them, especially of ones that are unfortunately no longer with us?
    Unfortunately not :(

Yeah, the statue in Dodsboro is still there and I remember having to go there in May for novena's with my Mam when I was really small (in the late 70's).

Unfortunately many of the 'landmarks' are gone :( The cinema is gone years and Big J's at Hillcrest/Woodview is also gone but was a 'landmark' meeting point for many people.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yes :)

There was also a hand pumped one in Sarsfield Park. It wasn't like this one but was taller and had a long handle.

However, you missed out on another of these fire hydrants/fountains. If you take the Lock road from Bob Carroll's (Courtney's) towards Newastle, there's a small 'stream' on the right hand side, halfway between Carroll's and the newcastle road and N4 junction. This stream of water seems to have been manually diverted into this concrete drain at this point. There used to be one of the water fountains there and I remember drinking from it as a kid myself :) (Don't know if I've described the location well at all there but you get the general idea, I hope).

Three cheers for Google Street View :) See here. You can see a metal post where it used to be :)

Where was the one in Sarsfield Park? I don't remember that one. I don't remember the one on the hill there where that strange bit of stream is either. Old age and all that!
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    Unfortunately many of the 'landmarks' are gone :( The cinema is gone years and Big J's at Hillcrest/Woodview is also gone but was a 'landmark' meeting point for many people.

Yeah, it's a pity that cheap digital cameras were not around back in the 80s. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mikefitznyc

I remember a friend's father telling us years ago to take photographs of Crowe's Corner, as it wouldn't be there much longer, well it's not there now at all! Anyone got photos of that area? It was close to the old road up towards the Spa Hotel. Also, how long has Carrolls butchers been vacant, have not lived in Lucan since the mid '90s, did the family move out?

Advertisement