Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway bike trail

• 14-08-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hey was thinking of taking up mountain biking in the trail out in oughterard, can you ase any ole bike or what, i got one from smyths has dual suspension etc would that be any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably. The peeps in Cycling will know best about what bike etc to use.
    From Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Hey was thinking of taking up mountain biking in the trail out in oughterard, can you ase any ole bike or what, i got one from smyths has dual suspension etc would that be any good?

Stick up a pic of the bike - chances are if it came from Smyths and cost less than 300 it will manage the less technical parts of the trail but will be a bit heavy for the rest of it. There are plenty of forest trails and off road runs where your bike will be fine - the Western Greenway in Westport is brilliant.

<EDIT> You could always rent a bike from the lads in Moycullen (MTB? MKB? MBA? MBS?) and that way you can try out the trails and you won't wreck your new pride and joy (or at least you can ride it on the road and get a bit fit first).

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

I would say no. It's very technical at parts and I've had mates up there with bikes twice as pricey that fell apart. Though they have flattened and smoothed out some sections in the last few months.

Up to you really but it is risky. I'd go very easy and make sure you've supplies as you might be in for a bit of a walk when or if your derailleur snaps.

Oh, and I would somehow doubt that your Smyths bike has any suspension. Cosmetic only.

Head for Portumna forest instead if you want a spin. Flat, fast, short and good fun. Official coillte trails as well. Also have Rosshill woods or Clarinbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Ah the suspension is suspect to say the least! was only a cheap bike dont want to go spending a fortune on a bike if i dont get into it, cheers for the referals but where in clarinbridge??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i usualy ride it with a front suspension, though i do have an old bike with neither its doable but when it gets very wet the bike with suspension seems that bit more forgiving.

Id suggest you give it a go, it will answer it for your own ability.

Its an enjoyable route.
    Although i prefer going up to the mast in oughterard and working my way along the forestry routes there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

cheers for the referals but where in clarinbridge??

Kilcornan woods. Its on the left as you travel towards kilocolgan. There's a big high stone wall and you can see the forestry behind. If you have fields on your left you've gone too far. Woods start at the Brothers of Charity on the last bend out of the village entrance is down a bit from there.

Advertisement