Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacuum packing for move

Options
  • 14-08-2011 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Just wondering do people think it is
    a bad idea to use the vacuum back bags ( similar to http://goo.gl/86nUZ ) to pack for a move down under.
    It would reduce the volume of clothes greatly and have the bonus of being waterproofed
    The only problem I can see is if you have to open them for customs, how would you re-seal them? Are all bags opened by customs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Where are these bags? Your personnal bags or are these in a shipping container?

If they are in a container just vac pac them. As long as you are extra carefull not to bring plant goods it should be fine. We fell foul of some christmas pine cones.

Customs will do what they do anyway.

If its your carry on baggage probably best not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It will reduce the volume but not the weight which is the issue when flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

True. My girlfriend done it and you end up with more space in your case which will turn into more weight. Plus all your stuff will be in a ball of creases. Just pack what you can fit in normally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I've used them before to shrink clothes to make everything fit into my carryon when I flew Ryanair to London for a few days and didn't want to pay for a bag. I couldn't get everything to fit in my carryon but could this way and I took it up to 9.5kgs just under the 10kgs limit. I had to get the maids hoover in the hotel to shrink stuff back down on the return part of the trip and I think she thought I was weird when she saw what I was doing, she didn't speak much English but when I said Ryanair she laughed and I think she understood the plan! Lots of wrinkly shirts, but I tend to fire everything into a normal case so that would be normal anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Aren't there these type of bags where there is no actual hoover needed? I think you roll all the air out of the bag. May not be as effective but reduces space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement