Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitor Messages visibilty

Options
  • 14-08-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a little confused about this...

under 'profile privacy' I have my VM visibility set to friends.

under 'edit options' I have visitor messages enabled and I have the box to receive VMs from only mods and contacts unchecked.

I thought that this would mean only friends can view my visitor messages but that other people who are not on my friends list could still send me visitor messages, they just couldn't view my visitor messages......this seems not to be the case?

If I log out and view my profile I don't see any VMs but also there's no place to post them AND if I go to a friends page that I have sent a VM to while logged out I can still see all my visitor messages there.

Were some settings changed or something coz I've definitely come across before where it will show up on some peoples page that you don't have access to the VMs they posted but you can still see what's posted on their page.

More confused about this than anything since I was under the impression all along that with choosing those settings, anything I posted in a VM would have been private except to those on my friends list.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

It's visitor messages on your own profile that you control who sees. If you have it set to Friends, that means only your friends (and moderators) can see and post visitor messages on your profile. No else can see or post a VM on your profile page.

When you post on someone else's profile, it's them that decides what privacy the VMs get. so if you post on someone else's profile, what you post there isn't controlled by your privacy settings.

As for non-contacts/friends being able to post, afaik it's whatever setting is higher that takes preference eg if Profile Privacy is set to Everyone, while that box about Contacts & Mods is ticked, the box settings takes preference. but if it's the other way round (box unticked, profile privacy = friends) then it's only friends that can post and see VMs on your page.

Afaik posting and seeing VMs are both tied to your settings. you can't separate the two, i *think*. when i look at your profile page, the VM tab isn't there.

btw, when you're logged out, there's no option to post VMs on any profile since that's something only members can do.

i might be wrong in some of this, just so you know. this is just based on my own profile settings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Ye I guess it works fine that way, just I definitely remember seeing someone's page before where you could still see what was posted on their page but if you clicked to view the conversation you could not see the replies of the other person, as in it was like their VMs could be blocked everywhere. I may well be getting confused about though, anyway I suppose I'm fine with the settings the way they are.

Also your sig is reminding me I was supposed to start that series! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

The "You do not have permission to view this page" means that one of those users have VMs set so it's not public, like if you had a conversation with someone, i wouldn't be able to view that conversation since i'm not in your contacts. i'd still be able to view the other person's profile (if it was public)

And you're not the first person to mention that to me about the Dark Tower series :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

but you would be able to view it on their page.

anyway was just something that was brought to my attention since someone pointed out that I posted on their page but they couldn't post back because of not being in my 'friends'. Just never thought of that.

I've been renewing the first book at the library forever :o I'm gona steal your sig and put it on my desktop :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement