Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation fan

• 14-08-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I was thinking of installing a vent fan over the bed opening is there already as alternative to aircon I go to Europe every year and I thought this might be good enough and run off 12v has anyone any experience of this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

the skylights aren't really designed to be open when driving... or is it for when you're parked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hymer514

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    the skylights aren't really designed to be open when driving... or is it for when you're parked up?
    Yes that's what I was thinking was looking at one called fantastic fan 4000 only draws low current but don't know how effective they are can't see any independent reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

hymer514 wrote: »
    Yes that's what I was thinking was looking at one called fantastic fan 4000 only draws low current but don't know how effective they are can't see any independent reviews

They are claiming 478cfm on the lowest setting which for your hymer would be a complete air change in 10 mins sounds like it would be effective if you had it configured to blow air out and had had appropriately located source vent/vents (open window at the opposite end of the van would probably suffice) for external air with an equivalent area. That way you'd be aided by convection.

I'd be wary of their specifications as they are claiming a 1db increase in noise with twice the power and nearly twice the flow rate which sounds like total bull to me.

Seems to be a load of info about these fans online. If you're looking for realworld users a handy tip is to use inurl:forum in your google search usually turns up a forum or two:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=inurl%3Aforum+fantastic+vent

paddyp wrote: »

They are claiming 478cfm on the lowest setting which for your hymer would be a complete air change in 10 mins sounds like it would be effective if you had it configured to blow air out and had had appropriately located source vent/vents for external air with an equivalent area. That way you'd be aided by convection.

I'd be wary of their specifications as they are claiming a 1db increase in noise with twice the power and nearly twice the flow rate which sounds like total bull to me.
    You can take that as a sales pitchI was really wondering would it keep the camper significantly cooler if it was 25 degrees or more if the side window was slightly open air being drawn through the camper I have seen these fans in a few left hand drives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

paddyp wrote: »

They are claiming 478cfm on the lowest setting which for your hymer would be a complete air change in 10 mins sounds like it would be effective if you had it configured to blow air out and had had appropriately located source vent/vents for external air with an equivalent area. That way you'd be aided by convection.

You can take that as a sales pitchI was really wondering would it keep the camper significantly cooler if it was 25 degrees or more if the side window was slightly open air being drawn through the camper I have seen these fans in a few left hand drives

I use a regular desk fan in ours .. I usually set it up in such a way that it draws the air in through the vent over the cab/bed and leave a few windows cracked open...it's really effective.
    I must look at these vent specific ones to save me lugging the fan around!!

It's also worth opening your windows and skylights a bit to ventilate the heat that builds up between them and the closed blinds...even open the windows fully so they are horizontal and clothes peg towels to them to keep the fun off the blinds. This makes a big difference aswell,as heat will inevitably seep in past the reflective blinds if they are being cooked all day!

Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I have an Omnivent which is pretty much the same thing. Two speeds on it and works it reverse too. Grand for fresh air and will cool the place a bit. There's always a few on Ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Wouldnt be much good for a hot day, your only blowing in warm air from outside, to cool the air involves alot more, plumbing etc. Air con takes all the hot air out of the room like how a fridge works, why you need to keep windows closed. No easy answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Wouldnt be much good for a hot day, your only blowing in warm air from outside, to cool the air involves alot more, plumbing etc. Air con takes all the hot air out of the room like how a fridge works, why you need to keep windows closed. No easy answer

If you keep the sun out of the van and a steady airflow through it you'd be surprised how effective it can be at preventing it from hotting up in there. worked well for us in a heatwave last July in France..hit 40 degrees and the van was nice and cool throughout once we kept the shades down and the windows/glazing on the sun side of the van up.
    Same as when you get into your car on a hot day...you open the window and once u start moving the airflow starts keeping it cool even tho it's hot outside.
    Marty.

There's only a vent with no fan at the moment so don't know if it's possible to get power to it for a fan without taking down the headlining etc

Advertisement