Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler Service

Options
  • 14-08-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend someone to do a service on a gas boiler in dublin 15 area? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

seen a note in the gazette or whatever free magazine it is in D15

€89 plus a free carbon monoxide box.. grab a mag at local shop! guy only does D15

I paid €99 with board gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

I can highly recommend a guy called John Reilly (087 2439035), I got his name off boards last year, he's based in Dundrum but will travel. At the time, he was charging half of the cost quoted by Bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Im gonna be real honest here...

I think a boiler service is a waste of money,

I got mine done last year for the first time ever...He opened it up and brushed/vacuumed it down.had a good look and put it back together.It took half an hour max

I know that Bord Gais do a 16 point check but do these things really need to be checked every year?

If it aint broken dont fix it...

Any other opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It depends on the age of a the boiler some do need a service now and then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Kev. wrote: »
    Im gonna be real honest here...

I think a boiler service is a waste of money,

I got mine done last year for the first time ever...He opened it up and brushed/vacuumed it down.had a good look and put it back together.It took half an hour max

I know that Bord Gais do a 16 point check but do these things really need to be checked every year?

I do the same brush down and vacuum with my oil boilder and only get an occasional service, but I wouldnt take the risk with gas. At least with oil you know if your fuel is leaking and it's not as dangerous if it ignites as gas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I get my gas boiler serviced by a guy in Tyrrelstown, think the company is called Alliance (or something similar) - will have to look it up. Seems to be professional and actually advised against a callout when high winds were cutting out the boiler, i.e., it was the weather and not the equipment.
    Kev. wrote: »

I think the servicing is more to keep the boiler at peak efficiency (no blocked jets etc.). Gas prices are rising so I rather every cubic metre of it is used correctly. It might also head off a big repair bill if a failure does happen.

Worth noting too that if you suspect a gas leak just call Bord Gais. They arrived at my door less than an hour after calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

www.grabone.ie have a special on gas boiler service today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just noticed in that ad that it says a "boiler inspection" in the small print, not a service. I'd be wary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

I recommend Lee Purcell 086 4049414, he is excellent and very reasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Hi OP,

Just wondering who you went with in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Macers wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Just wondering who you went with in the end?

I went with http://leinstergasandboilerservices.com/ Shane McMahon he was excellent, punctual tidy and courteous and I would definitely recommend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

CAN i put down my friends details,as well !?
    He is a very good and highly profesional and is going to be so happy having free 'ads' running here ... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

rolion wrote: »
    CAN i put down my friends details,as well !?
    He is a very good and highly profesional and is going to be so happy having free 'ads' running here ... :)

If you've a problem with posts, press the report button.
    Otherwise leave the moderation to the mods.

Hi As evening getting cold, last night I went to turn on the gas boiler from the wall switch after 6 months+. Nothing seem to happen. I at least expected the boiler to try & fire up.... Any suggestions? Does it sound like the switch in the wall is broken & just did not turn on the boiler? Thnaks

Advertisement