Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young lad needing advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gabberific

dean27 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't have arts down on my list of courses. I have law down in my choice of courses, which my guidance teacher is sure would enable me to go on and do a masters in journalism after. From what I heard, law courses consists of a lot of writing, so this would keep me in the swing of things. Also a law degree certainly isn't a bad degree to have.

Too true that a Law degree isn't a bad one to have, and for journalism it's a good basis. That said, there's more writing in an English one. Maybe if you don't get Law, and you decide to reapply with the same points next year, you could consider an Arts course knowing that you can get into an MA in Journalism with it too. In some Unis in Ireland you can do Legal Science (Galway anyway) as part of Arts which you could combine with English if you're hard set on the whole Law/ Journalism route.

Good luck with the offers, and remember there are many more ways into your chosen career than you may have initially realised :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dean27

Thanks all for your advice and support. So it looks like I will be doing law for the next few years. Who knows, maybe the land down under will still be a possibility in a few years time. Saying that, not too sure If the demand for law degrees is any greater in Oz than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

Congrats Dean27, I did law in college and it is a great course. Should be helpful if you decide to pursue journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good man Dean.

No real demand here for any Degree here. Australia imports skills which is more a mix of Degree/Qualifications and experience.

So they look for Barristers as opposed to people with Law degrees.
    Skills list for Migration , note there are state sponsored lists as well.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

Advertisement