Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning Aer Lingus points with Qantas

Options
  • 15-08-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Does anyone know how many Aer Lingus points I could typically expect to earn with Qantas on a return flight to Australia (Sydney)?

I've tried looking both on Aer Lingus & Qantas websites, but the latter only gives information on how to work out how many points Qantas frequent flyer members can earn if they fly with Aer Lingus.

I'm hoping that since an Aer Lingus trans-atlantic flights typicalls equate to 600+ Aer Lingus points, that a flight to Australia will equate to quite a bit more than this.:D

Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

My guess would be you won't earn anything on the LHR-AUS leg.

Also depends what class you're travelling, ticketing code etc.

Aer Lingus exited the Oneworld alliance some years back though there have been talks about rejoining it or Skyteam.

Best to join an alliance member such as BA, AA or Qantas, as their reach is greater and their FF programs are more generous than Gold Circle.

I'm a KLM Flying Blue member and use Schipol a lot but earn zero on AL Dub-Ams route as it's codeshare only.

An AF/KLM or BA/Iberia acquisition of Aer Lingus would be welcomed by many I imagine.

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

Correct,you will earn none.
    Best bet is to join the ba exec club,their frequent flyer programme, as they allow you to redeem miles on Aer lingus transatlantic flights.

They allow miles redemptions on all routes operated by partners including those that aren't code shares.
    Aer lingus only BA codeshares on the UK routes but that qualifies it as a partner meaning you can redeem their miles for Aerlingus flights.
    Only over the phone via one of the BA call centres mind you,as their website only allows one world member flights to be booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

My guess would be you won't earn anything on the LHR-AUS leg.

Aer Lingus exited the Oneworld alliance some years back though there have been talks about rejoining it or Skyteam.

Best to join an alliance member such as BA, AA or Qantas, as their reach is greater and their FF programs are more generous than Gold Circle.

I'm a KLM fling blue member and use Schipol a lot but earn zero on AL Dub-Ams route as it's codeshare only.

An AF/KLM or BA/Iberia acquisition of Aer Lingus would be welcomed by many I imagine.

No, I will earn Aer Lingus points on the correct fare on qantas, as it specifically says so on the Aer Lingus website. I'm just wondering how much.or how it's calculated.

I'm a member of both skyteam & Star Alliance too, although I'm not sure why you don't seem to earn points in your situation... because I do (depending on who I book with). If I book with KLM then i use my flying blue num and its credited accordingly. Likewise if I book with Aer Lingus & use my gold circle num, it's credited. Don't think I can earn points with either if I book with one & then use the FF program of the other.

I do hope Aer Lingus re-join an alliance. It was mad to leave one! I suspect it wont be skyteam though as all their airlines (from what I can see base on those I've travelled with) are full-service airlines (i.e. free meals/snacks & offer business class in Europe). So unless Aer lingus plan on changing their business model & upping their service, I'm afraid I don't think sky-team would have them.

So I suspect it might be star alliance or possibly re-joining one-world, as you say.

Correct,you will earn none.
    Best bet is to join the ba exec club,their frequent flyer programme, as they allow you to redeem miles on Aer lingus transatlantic flights.

They allow miles redemptions on all routes operated by partners including those that aren't code shares.
    Aer lingus only BA codeshares on the UK routes but that qualifies it as a partner meaning you can redeem their miles for Aerlingus flights.
    Only over the phone via one of the BA call centres mind you,as their website only allows one world member flights to be booked.

According to Aer Lingus website:
    "As a Gold Circle member you can earn points on any eligible flight operated by a partner member airline. Eligible flights also count towards the maintenance and advancement of tier status.....

Airline: Qantas

Fare:
    First: F,A
    Business: J,C,D,I
    Economy: Y,B,H,K,M,L,O,Q,V,N

Yeah but Quantas is not currently an aerlingus partner

http://www.aerlingus.com/aboutus/alliances/airlinepartners/

• Advertisement

Yeah but Quantas is not currently an aerlingus partner

http://www.aerlingus.com/aboutus/alliances/airlinepartners/

That link is shows code-share partners i.e. Flights that Aer Lingus operate on behalf of another airline. This is a different arrangement to a partnership:

"Aer Lingus has codeshare agreements with the following carriers whereby flights are operated using the flight number of both airlines but the flight is operated by Aer Lingus"

Qantas flights aren't code-shared with Aer lingus (as Aer lingus don't fly to oz)

Also, you'll see that qantas are listed as a partner airline here...
    http://www.aerlingus.com/goldcircle/earningyourpoints/onpartnerairlines/

Oh I didn't know that.
    You mean you asked a question here to which you already knew the answer :D

No, my question was, does anyone know how the points are calculated (not can I earn points)

I suggest you ring them as their gold circle website faq hasn't caught up with the fact they are no longer in one world yet :eek:
    http://www.aerlingusgoldcircleclub.com/FAQIndex.asp

That might make me question the veracity of whats on the other links posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suggest you ring them as their gold circle website faq hasn't caught up with the fact they are no longer in one world yet :eek:
    http://www.aerlingusgoldcircleclub.com/FAQIndex.asp

That might make me question the veracity of whats on the other links posted.

That specific site is completely out of date and inoperable (try to register for membership for instance). Why they don't take it down I dunno as it causes this confusion

http://www.aerlingus.com/goldcircle/ is the current, up to date site. Where you can apply for membership!

hehe :D
    Oh I've no intention of signing up for them! I'm happy enough where I am.
    They should have a table with the points earning rates for partners though. BA do :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

If multi-leg tickets are booked through KLM, mileage is accrued Dub-Ams but have found it often requires a reminder by fax to be credited.

I should have specified EI flights terminating in Ams obviously don't earn miles on FB. Didn't realise you could earn Gold Circle mileage on Qantas, thought it was the same codeshare dead end as Dub-Ams.

I'd always prefer to earn through Skyteam or Oneworld over AL tbh. Be interesting to see if Gold Circle matched Qantas 1:1.

Article on Aer Lingus potential alliances from the Indo, September 2010.
    By Peter Flanagan
    Wednesday September 15 2010
    AER LINGUS yesterday played down suggestions that it was in advanced talks to join one of the three main airline alliances.

Last night, a spokesman for the company said talks were ongoing -- but added that they were only at a preliminary stage with the three groups.

Press reports had indicated that Aer Lingus was in advanced negotiations with the Oneworld Alliance, as the airline looked at joining after a four-year hiatus.

Oneworld is believed to be the preference for Aer Lingus over the Star Alliance and Skyteam. British Airways (BA) is acting as the Irish airline's intermediary with Oneworld. Willie Walsh, BA's chief executive, is a former head of Aer Lingus.

Christoph Mueller, the CEO of Aer Lingus, said the airline would use whichever alliance made the most sense for them.

Connectivity

"Oneworld, say, might be the best alliance on paper, from the connectivity we gain and cost synergies," said Mr Mueller. "But if we have to pay more for a seat to Melbourne or Hong Kong than I currently pay with KLM, I can be a member of an alliance until the cows come home but my Irish customers will book themselves on KLM."

KLM is acting as intermediary for Aer Lingus with Skyteam.

"We have to discuss what they can do for us and what can we do for them.

"We bring the entire Irish market to the table, so I think everybody is interested in securing that for their alliance portfolio," he said.

A return to an alliance has been mooted since Aer Lingus began to move away from competing directly with low-cost carriers at the start of the year.

Low-cost model

Last week, Mr Mueller confirmed that the airline had abandoned the low-cost model and was returning to the "yield" (essentially the average fare per passenger) business model that most airlines used for decades.

"We abandoned the low-cost model entirely. We haven't stimulated demand with this since January of this year," he said.

Aer Lingus may add a second aircraft on the Washington-Madrid route, its only long-haul service not involving Ireland, after the venture with United Airlines turned profitable in five months, Mr Mueller said.

The chief executive added that he was "optimistic" that demand for flights between Dublin and the US would justify more seats, once the airport's second terminal opens in November.

Aer Lingus's share price closed at 97c, down 1pc.

(Additional reporting by Bloomberg)

- Peter Flanagan

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-may-line-up-walshs-ba-oneworld-alliance-as-partner-2337820.html

yeah you get 20 tier points towards status on BA too if you book the dublin London leg of a ba itinerary as part of the same pnr,it's usually automatic.

I was once delayed in the states and on a cheap separate EI flight home and BA were kind enough to rebook that for me,they had no obligation to do it.
    I got 20 tier points for the rebooked flight because it was now linked and in a tier point earning class.
    Thats the benefit of being loyal to one group or another if you fly a lot for business,they go the extra mile for you :)

Advertisement