Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there many full time finishers on here

• 15-08-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Is there many full time finishers on here and are ye making a good living lads, or is there any part time finishers out there and how are ye getting on?..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

full time-yes, good living-no. For the hours that are put in, the money is poor. its more so a way of life!! Serious cash facilities are needed to run the business. All animals have to be bought in so lots of money moving. Lots of guys at it are only managing to survive from day to day, if your into willy waving you will soon be left with nada

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Do you mind me asking what part of the country are you in bob..Im sorry for all the questions now but my problem is i used only farm parttime along with my job in plant hire but my problem now is there is no work out there my situation has changed abit so if i could make any few pound out of farming i will work for it but i just cant make it out of sucklers..Any ideas..

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

we used to buy cattle around a year and over and finish them not in big numbers, only part time farming, by the time you went and bought the replacement you would have nothing to show for it, i bet if you sold all the cattle one day and paid all the bills for that year silage buy replacements etc it would frighten you when you see how little would be left, but when its all dragged out its harder to see the real cost,
    we are trying buying calves and bucket feeding them this year so we'll see if we can get more out of it that way, at least on a year like this you could sell them rather than finish them,
    you mentioned sucklers, if you have them already i'd reckon you might have more chance of getting more out of them longterm, at least the cow has a calf every year and if you can make it a quality one, it should leave you a nice few pound at what ever stage you move it on

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

if your into willy waving you will soon be left with nada

Never heard that one before, but your right about being either in it fully or else dont bother and stick with the sucklers, Im full time and and upto this year would of finished/nearly finish around the 150 or so bullocks and heifers and unless your well up with what stock to be buying/ watching dates/ages out in the marts regularly and going through big enough numbers i wouldnt recomend it, Im changing to sucklers myself because there was so little out of it and the amount of time spent buyin and sellin stock, But then again whats good for da goose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

alderdeer wrote: »
    Never heard that one before, but your right about being either in it fully or else dont bother and stick with the sucklers, Im full time and and upto this year would of finished/nearly finish around the 150 or so bullocks and heifers and unless your well up with what stock to be buying/ watching dates/ages out in the marts regularly and going through big enough numbers i wouldnt recomend it, Im changing to sucklers myself because there was so little out of it and the amount of time spent buyin and sellin stock, But then again whats good for da goose :D
    Ya im thinking maybe sticking with what i have and trying to perfect that rather than spending all my time on money on something thats completely knew to me..Do you mind me asking what kind of cattle your getting into and what kind of bull you are running with them?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement