Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check raise before the river

Options
  • 15-08-2011 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Why do people check raise on the flop & turn :confused:
    I started playing paddypower poker lately and half the players seem to do this (and continue doing it till the river), not even to steal the pot.. on rubbish pots with just the blinds + minimum bet.
    I've played on a lot of diferent sites and rarely seen people doing it.
    Another thing I noticed with pp poker is theres someone bluffing (and usually quite high) 75% of the time... again on fairly low pots that aren't even worth stealing...
    I expected stuff like that on the micro blind tables but i thought there would be some (semi) decent play on the €1 tables, even though it's far from high stakes.
    Anyways I found it quite weird seeing so much of it, fair enough check raising after someone bets a decent amount to steal it but what is check raising a 20c blind to 40c going to do them :confused:

On the plus side... bank balance is looking pretty nice after 2 days of play :D

Edit: I'm not looking for poker tips just a discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

screename?

and why wouldn't they c/r the flop and turn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SligeachBoi

Because they're sandbagging son's of bitches! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

pbowenroe wrote: »
    screename?

and why wouldn't they c/r the flop and turn?
    It's pointless..
    6 player table 10/20c and only the 2 of you call
    so theres a 40c pot he checks you raise 20c then he re-raises €3
    Why not just raise in the first place?
    At least on the river you have the element of surprise, or if someone bets more than 1x bb you get to steal that, but re-raising the minimum bet on the flop seems kind of pointless :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

you're probably right actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bignob7

i started on pp about a week ago and ive now lost roughy 300euro on it,at first i just thought it was bad luck but the more i played the more the same things started to happen.for example i had aq and the flop was 35q,i went all in and got called by pocket nines,by now i know the weaker hand on the flop will 99% of the time beat the stronger hand on the flop on pp and it did,he hit a 9 on the river.this happens over and over again unless you have a small stack and it will let you win.if you can figure out how the site works someone could make a fortune because this site is crazy.in another instance i had pocket kings and someone went all in with q9 the flop was kq3 the turn was a q and the river was a q,this sort of thing happens too often at this site and id like to know if anyone know whats up.im by no means an outstanding player but i think the hands are not random and there are paddypower players playing that have inside info on how it works or something.i think a lot of the calls that are made by people that have no right to call normaly are stooes or something,there is just too many madness calls that end up winning.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

bignob7 wrote: »
    I'm a special needs person .
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bignob7

id say your a special needs person alright,trying to get some info and this is what this twat comes up with,loser.

Wow, I remember when intelligent people posted here. Seems such a distant memory...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

bignob7 wrote: »
    id say your a special needs person alright
    Nice, original comeback of the century.
    Are you like 2 years old or what, in the distant future when you grow up and your balls drop, you might laugh and cringe at the retardedness of your original question.
    If not my assessment above was spot on, either way I'll be right.
    trying to get some info and this is what this twat comes up with,loser
    I'm not the one who can't beat the micros on ipoker and then crys like a little beatch.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

Not trying to be funny folks but Paddy Power has a higher proportion of Irish Players and (in my experience) the Irish like to focus more on deception and bluffing than our American (RIP) or maybe German counterparts.

I really miss the Yanks! So predicatable and so macho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Readyhed wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny folks but Paddy Power has a higher proportion of Irish Players and (in my experience) the Irish like to focus more on deception and bluffing than our American (RIP) or maybe German counterparts.

I really miss the Yanks! So predicatable and so macho.

Second that, used to play on FTP, you could nearly see the players who were playing their way through the full tilt poker academy challenges, and therefore, knew what they were going to do. That site used to pay my credit card off every month.........:(

888 is a bit nuts though, $5 9 handed S&Gs, 5 hands in, usually sees a player or 2 gone, complete fish (Fish are good).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Readyhed wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny folks but Paddy Power has a higher proportion of Irish Players
    No it doesn't. So your whole theory is out the window there.
    Paddy power is a network, not a stand alone site.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

Mellor wrote: »
    No it doesn't. So your whole theory is out the window there.
    Paddy power is a network, not a stand alone site.

Ipoker which is william hill and others.

Most tables I play on have more Irish Players that I see on PokerStars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

PPP is like playing a cartoon, no wonder only chumps and kids play there. Horrible horrible site!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

A check raise on the turn is actually a decent play because your taking control of the pot leading into the river.... whereas a check call you dont have control and on the river looks like your on a missed draw or trapping.... having control on the river is more unpredictable and hard to read from a check raise on turn.... control is everything

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oranage2 wrote: »
    PPP is like playing a cartoon, no wonder only chumps and kids play there. Horrible horrible site!
    Yeah, I mean what kind of self respecting players wants sit there taking money from chumps and kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 justinwillianm

you're probably right actually

Advertisement