Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for Gaming + Stuff!

Options
  • 15-08-2011 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭

Story lads, I was told this was the go to forum for any PC building questions :P So i've currently got a decent enough laptop I use to play a few games and do other bits and bobs, but I really wanna upgrade to a desktop. I also make gaming videos as a bit of a hobby, but with this laptop render times in Sony vegas can take ages and the software can be very laggy at the best of times.

Basically I just want a PC that'll be good for gaming, tear through renders etc. and besides that it'd just be internet/music etc I'd use it for.

A friends of mine who's into this carry on a lot more than me picked out a few things for me on a website that comes well recommended here apparently. I was just wondering what ye lads would make of this? Any areas it could be improved upon? I'd probably be willing to spend up to 600 or 700? This setup is around the 430 mark, any areas you'd think it'd be good to spend a bit more on?

Any feedback is really appreciated, cheers lads!

darrenpc.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Cheap rig you got there, nice but you have some extra € to spend right?

2500k :eek: usb3, sata600, z68, runns everything now.. just add another ATI 6850 next year for an upgrade then..

full
    hv1_15082011.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

With freestyla's build, I'd bump up the PSU to an XFX 650W
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39875

Watch the case stock if you're ordering soon.

While the black WD drive is very good, the Samsung F3 1TB can be had for the same money.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28152

You could probably save some money with slower RAM as there's so little difference in performance on the Sandy Bridge platform.

Edit: 4GB 1333MHz RAM. http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38487
    You can get 8GB kits for about €40.

from what i've been reading here lately ,

would the Core i7 not be a better bet for the op as video rendering is required?

am curious on the answer to this as a friend might be building a new spec soon(ish) and he's a user of Sony Vegas also

Good point, looking around this software does make use of hyperthreading but it's hard to find how much. I thought the budget was €600 but if it's €700, I'd get an SSD over the 2600K to be honest. Given that line of work 8GB of RAM would be the way to go, especially given how cheap it is now.

Don't forget about an operating system Kersmash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Monotype wrote: »
    Good point, looking around this software does make use of hyperthreading but it's hard to find how much. I thought the budget was €600 but if it's €700, I'd get an SSD over the 2600K to be honest. Given that line of work 8GB of RAM would be the way to go, especially given how cheap it is now.

Don't forget about an operating system Kersmash.

This benchmark suggests getting the cheaper i5-2500k (and overclocking )would the way to go alright as the HT'ing i7-2600k doesn't appear to have much of an edge at stock speeds on the Vegas 10 benchmark.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1501/15/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Um... Mono... a decent 450W PSU would do, maybe 550W if it was very heavily overclocked :o

Bear in mind that a stock 2500k uses ~65W and a HD6850 uses 90W, and if you upgraded to a HD6870 for just a few pennies more even that takes 110W IIRC :p

Not a fan of the case either. And is that HDD really that much better than a SATA2 Samsung F3?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If its mainly for gaming then I would consider this the best value for money at the moment. While SSDs are nice, they don't help with actual game performance except in a very few cases. Bumping up the graphics card is better. With 8GB of RAM the 2500k and you won't be bothered by slow rendering.

Total build cost: €662.22 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €175.58
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €42.83
    Xigmatek Asgard II Midi Tower - black/black, ohne Netzteil €31.61
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €34.67
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €92.81
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.04
    Club 3D Radeon 6950 1024MB, AMD Radeon HD 6950, PCI-Express €188.59

To be honest, first time I just scanned over the OP, read freestyla's post and I saw a mention of mention crossfire with the not so great gamer edition superflower.
    If crossfire is not on the books, scrap the idea of a high power PSU.

I suppose a 550W would even do crossfire 6850s/powerful single card with overclocking if you want a middleground.

Advertisement