Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Jane Austen Society in Ireland!?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello all,
    I've just been in contact with the Jane Austen Society (UK) to see if there is a branch in Ireland.
    http://www.janeaustensoci.freeuk.com/

Unfortunately, there is not. Do you think that there would be interest in such a group?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SamCov

I had a look at this a few years ago too - nothing in Ireland. But instead became a Festival Friend of the Jane Austen Festival which is a fantastic week in Sept every year in Bath. JA's Regency World is their mag which can be bought through their website www.janeausten.co.uk it's a really worth while publication.

There is a definite interest in setting up a Soc in Ireland and so many reasons to set one up (the new book, May, Lou & Cass, Jane Austen's Nieces in Ireland by Sophie Hillan, Tom Lefroy, Fanny Burney...the list goes on!). I know at least 5 people who would sign up immediately!

SC

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rosemalin

Hi Samcov,

I'd love to buy that magazine, thanks for the link. I agree that it would be wonderful to have something set up in Ireland.
    I received some information from the Jane Austen Society (guidelines, difference between setting up a group and branch) etc.. and a contact email for a lady who would assist in setting up something if I so wished.

Since my initial query re whether there was a branch in Ireland or not, I have had a baby and started a totally un-related project outside my work which will have to be my priority. Lazy as it may sound, I would still be delighted to be a member of a group if it is set up but probably not on a committee.

I would like to send you on the email which I received from the Jane Austen Society - maybe, if you think it encouraging, a group of us could begin one here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MistyAiya

Just to reply to an old thread, you might be interested in this: https://www.facebook.com/JaneitesIreland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 austen society ireland

Hi all - still interested in a Jane Austen society here in Ireland? Interested in getting involved? Meetings, talks, study groups, book club gatherings, trips to Chawton and Bath? We've made a start. See here: Facebook: www.facebook.com/theJaneaustensocietyofireland
    Email: janeaustensocietyireland@gmail.com

Advertisement