Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning question of no consequence

• 15-08-2011 8:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Something I have always wondered:

Beneath platforms where DART services the station, there is a little slider with several settings.

What does that do and is it ever changed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Something I have always wondered:

Beneath platforms where DART services the station, there is a little slider with several settings.

What does that do and is it ever changed?

Your question is vague, but it may be axle counters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

It seems to be some sort of reference point for measuring the camber, curvature, position, etc of the track. If you look closely you'll see words like 'CANT' and 'radius of curve' inscribed on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

LLU wrote: »
    It seems to be some sort of reference point for measuring the camber, curvature, position, etc of the track. If you look closely you'll see words like 'CANT' and 'radius of curve' inscribed on them.
    But what is interesting is that they only seem to occur on electrified stretches. You'd think that such measurements are equally important on diesel only sections.

It does make sense that if the slider part, which looks like a mixing desk's slider were to stay still and the platform sunk then it could be easily detected but then would those be the best markings rather than just a distance measurement.

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Are they at every Dart station ? I noticed one in Lansdowne Road or thereabouts. Wouldn't mind finding the exact answer myself ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

is it that they were installed when the Dart was rebuilt and will be installed at any other stsation re-built? Are they on the WRC for instance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Close enough ;). Its to measure the clearance either from the platform or the overheads it would say on it what its for.

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Close enough ;). Its to measure the clearance either from the platform or the overheads it would say on it what its for.
    To measure the clearance from the platform or the overheads to what?

And why would they not use numerical measurements?

I think I may not have explained myself fantastically but I can't think of any other way.

It's not just at platforms. There are quite a few between Pearse and GCD.

corktina wrote: »
    is it that they were installed when the Dart was rebuilt and will be installed at any other stsation re-built? Are they on the WRC for instance?
    I've never been to the WRC so couldn't say.

To measure the clearance from the platform or the overheads to what?

And why would they not use numerical measurements?

I think I may not have explained myself fantastically but I can't think of any other way.

It's not just at platforms. There are quite a few between Pearse and GCD.

To the track. Its a gauge so they know when packing what the distance from the overheads should be.

Sorry to harp on about it but this is a picture of what I mean, in case there was a lack of clarity. It isn't in Ireland but it is the same idea.

WP_000034.jpg

Is that a measurement of the track from the unit?

• Advertisement

Its a gauge, the block is level with the rail. Its to measure the Cant etc. It will say on it what its for.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

It's a Datum Plate. The position of the track relative to the plate is recorded. If the position is altered by tamping/lifting etc then the plate should be altered to reflect the new position.

You will probably be see the Cant and RE (Running Edge to block) measurements along with the Datum Plate reference number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I used to think that these were speed restriction units that slowed the DART down while it was entering the station.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I used to think that these were speed restriction units that slowed the DART down while it was entering the station.:confused:

Thats done (well, enforced) using ATP via the track circuits.

Advertisement