Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lidl 22nd August Cycling kit

• 15-08-2011 8:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-7DF6E047-7713DAA6/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=12764

Cycling kit back in lidl on the 22nd, one thing they say - Kids’ Cycling Helmet With Light , these is a chance there will be normal helmets as well as sometimes lidl dont seem to say everything they will be selling in some shops as we all know
    Full finger cycling gloves 5e
    Men's Cycling Shoes only 20e
    and much more im not going to post it all you can go look!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Whitehawk wrote: »
    track pump 8e (thats a damm good deal!)
    Not if it's not any good. IIRC the track pumps previously on offer have been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

true but for 8e its worth a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The shoes look like they might be worth getting for the winter. If I put SPD pedals on the hybrid it might work...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

kenmc wrote: »
    Not if it's not any good. IIRC the track pumps previously on offer have been poor.

I have one of the pumps they sold early this year (feb/march), I can't recall how much I paid, but the seals have gone in it now, so most of the air escapes around the bottom of the pump:(. I was looking in my local bike shop, and the cheapest one they have is €45. My lidl one was only used maybe a maximum of 10 times. I think I will bite the bullet and buy from the LBS. Then again.... I could go to Lidl and buy 5 of them and hope that together they last as long as a proper one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nope, I can vouch for the base's inability to remain attached to the shaft.

With track pumps you need where the shaft attaches to the base to be secure. These are aluminium -> abs plastic and if there is any sort of movement from side to side (as generally happens when you go to higher pressures) then the threads just shear.

• Advertisement

Ok well then on that info alone i would say dont get track pump, ill edit first post above and remove pump!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

I have two of the track pumps for ages now, treat them gently and they'll last. For the money they are well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

johnam wrote: »
    I have one of the pumps they sold early this year (feb/march), I can't recall how much I paid, but the seals have gone in it now, so most of the air escapes around the bottom of the pump:(. I was looking in my local bike shop, and the cheapest one they have is €45.

Yeah, agree the lidl pumps are poor. You don't need to spend €45 at the lbs. Get one online.... you will spend 30 but its a good investment:

www.chianreactioncycles.com
    www.wiggle.co.uk

free shipping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have one of those track pumps from feb / march timeframe. Working absolutely fine for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This is the track pump I've had for the past three or four years

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Those that are saying the pumps are working fine, what kind of pressure are ye using them for?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

The shoes and gloves look quite decent. Will have a good look at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Khannie wrote: »
    I have one of those track pumps from feb / march timeframe. Working absolutely fine for me.
    What are you pumping ?? a football !! :pac:
    Seriously tho, I've had both Aldi/Lidl pumps and both were threw into the bin after a week or two. It'll be interesting how 'good' this pump is. Much better idea to get a proper one online in a discount/sale.
    Ths Lidl sale is well timed tho, ahead of the SeanKellyTour, great for picking up things like jerseys, gloves, socks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Not worth a shot. Put 15 quid to that and buy a proper one. It will last 10 times as long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Not worth a shot. Put 15 quid to that and buy a proper one. It will last 10 times as long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i used one for 2.5 years eventually the rubber in the connector gave out ( 110psi) the BBB one i bought to replace it lasted 6 months (and cost 3 times as much, but i got a new hose and head which cost more than the lidl one at least working now.

ii had a zefal hp one which was great but the feet broke off it after about 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Mrs Rat got the base layer vests recently very good apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

has anyone got experience of the cycling shoes? would they last long or what weather are they good for etc? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'll be buying the cycling shoes anyway...i hope they fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Do not buy the lidl pump. I got one last year and as I was pumping up a child's armband it exploded. The handle blew off and bruised my arm quite badly. Somehow the explosion managed to set fire to the bottom of my curtain and quickly spread to an important flower arrangement my girlfriend had left on the window sill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The website won't load for me - are the cycling shoes SPD compatible? Do they have recessed soles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

The website won't load for me - are the cycling shoes SPD compatible? Do they have recessed soles?

They do say they are SPD compatible, but "Pedal system and plates not included". They are not clear about the cleats being recessed, and I couldn't say definitely that they are from the picture, though they could be, just not clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Yes:

"Choice of: high or low cut styles
    Easy-care synthetic and textile blend upper
    Padded tongue and ankle for extra comfort
    Synthetic textile lining and insole
    SPD® system compatible for optimal power transfer
    With reflective details for enhanced visibility
    Convenient hook & loop fastener for a secure fit
    Durable non-slip TPR sole with reinforced forefoot
    Easy-to-remove sole section for inserting a plate
    Pedal system and plates not included
    Men's Sizes: 7-11

Back to overview
    "

ROFL at the happy tramp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Idleater wrote: »

With track pumps you need where the shaft attaches to the base to be secure. These are aluminium -> abs plastic and if there is any sort of movement from side to side (as generally happens when you go to higher pressures) then the threads just shear.

Mine only lasted a few weeks before it started leaking around the base.
    Epoxied the two parts together and it's been fine since.
    I'm happy enough to get two years service from an €8 pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

only up to size 11 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

So for those of you who have purchased items before, what are the "must buys" from this current offering based on past experience, quality, price, etc...

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

eoghan84 wrote: »
    has anyone got experience of the cycling shoes? would they last long or what weather are they good for etc? thanks

i bought a pair in scotland about 3 years ago (actually in kirkwall on orkney)

they are sitting under my desk now as my commuter shoes been using them for years, the soles arent very stiff (compared to a racing mtb shoe for instance) but for shortish commutes (id upto about 10km in mine i have done a lot more)

now for the disclaimer obviousley these arent identical to the ones that will be instore on monday as i bought them 3 years ago. just my experienceof lidl mtb shoes (i found the much better than the aldi ones for instance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I bought several sets last autumn, to discover that they were non flashing. They sit in the shed unused, as I consider the flashers (white and red) to be way more effective at providing visability.
    Perhaps the 2011 models are different, but do check.

Before anyone asks about the lock - don't considering buying if using as a primary lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So for those of you who have purchased items before, what are the "must buys" from this current offering based on past experience, quality, price, etc...

Thanks !

gloves and under vests excellent

poolboy wrote: »

Thanks for the insight ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No shorts, and the shoes don't come in a women's version or in a small enough size for me. Officially - meh. :pac:

What about the light. Anyone gotten one before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Got them for my sisters bike which was being left outside in a bad part of Dublin everyday. They're so bad even the worse knackers wouldn't rob them from the bike.

eddiem74 wrote: »

Thanks !
    poolboy wrote: »

Just wondering what about the socks? Or would Pennys be as good. :confused:

• Advertisement

Not a fan of the socks. I got them last time. They're kinda sweaty (though they did do really good running socks before, so it might be worth having a feel when you get there).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

I keep one at work as a second pump. It does the job... the rubber would probably wear down quickly if you used it every day, but as a spare pump it's perfect. Used it probably once a week for the last 2 years... no problems getting 110 into the wheels...

Just to remind all that only 2days till this stuff is on sale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Anyone any views on the mini pump? In the market for one, but I reckon I should just spend the cupla punt more and get something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 gunnerman1100

think i'll be making a trip to the one in coolock tomorrow morning so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

Just to remind all that only 2days till this stuff is on sale!

cheers
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Going to go for a vest, a jersey, the shoes and a pair of gloves. I have no long-sleeve cycling gear so I'll be needing some anyway. All my gloves are fingerless, so may as well try these ones out for the colder days that'll be along soon enough. Was thinking that the shoes might be useful if I stuck SPD pedals on the hybrid for when the weather gets really rough. Worth a shot at the price imho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Gonna pick up a jersey, mini pump, socks, and maybe the lights set.

I'm unsure whether I'll get the shoes, I'd prefer a pair of road shoes but if they're light enough I might have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

Does anyone know if the shoes would take cleats for Look Pedals, I current have Shimano r077 Shoes with Looks Cleats fitted, Im new to all this

Also think ill get a foot pump and a Jersey for the winter and some gloves! They are cheap enough not to worry about it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

tech wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the shoes would take cleats for Look Pedals, I current have Shimano r077 Shoes with Looks Cleats fitted, Im new to all this
    They won't. Keos are a 3 bolt system, the shoes there seem to be 2 bolt, SPD type ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

How much are spd cleats ? I mean roughly. Think ill pick up the shoes if they fit.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

How much are spd cleats ? I mean roughly

I'm heading for the shoes and a jersey.

From what I can see cleats are just under €20 (on wiggle and CRC), but just make sure you get the plate for the shoes with the cleats. I don't think you usually get it with the cleats (could be wrong on that though), but the Lidl site says it doesn't come with the shoes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭civilnug

Picked a pump, body armour, a pair of gloves and a jersey for the missus.

No mens jerseys in Ballincollig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Kevin dublin

Picked up a pump, gloves & a jersey + shoes.

Pump seems OK, looks like its well supported at the base, time will tell:D

Normally take a 10 in a shoe, had to get an 11 as the 10's where way too tight.
    Only had the larger sizes in the boot style.

I think for somebody like me, a casual cyclist, this stuff is great value.

Kevin

• Advertisement
Advertisement