Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lidl 22nd August Cycling kit

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Didn't get anything, only wanted the shoes but they were way too tight. I was looking at the size 11, and by the feel of them i would have needed a size larger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Just back from the Balbriggan branch, picked up a jersey, vest, pair of gloves and somes socks. Didn't go to mad as I am only getting started back into cycling and wanted to see how the stuff works out.

In terms of stock there as of 10.45am (based on visual rough guess):

Track Pumps: 7'ish left
    Mini pumps: a few (possibly mixed with locks)
    Locks: plenty
    Socks*: 50 pairs estimate (more womens than mens)
    Jersey*: 10+ mens, more womens
    Vest*: 10+ mens, more womens
    Shoes*: 10+ boxes
    Gloves*: plenty, more pink visible than other colours
    Lights: 15+

* Various sizes...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

just back from lidl clonee, got
    under jersey
    small pump,
    track pump,
    jersey,
    gloves,
    socks,

lots of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Checked out the stuff

The shoes seemed really heavy----so didnt buy
    The track pump seems decent but haven't tried yet
    got the jersy and body armour.
    they seem decent

The gloves seem like they'll do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Chipbutty

Just back from the Castlebar shop, picked up the vest and jacket. There is only a couple of each left, plenty of everything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Picked up a track pump to leave in work. It's sturdy enough for 8euro to be honest.

Grabbed a jersey and a pair of socks too (would have bought more socks but they were all gone in my size bar the one pair!)

Loads of womens gear along with gloves, pumps and locks (wouldn't be too keen on the locks myself). Mens gear is pretty much about 10-15 jerseys in M-L sizes only.

That's Clondalkin village btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I picked up a jersey, socks, pump and lights in the coolock store.

The lights are terrible, don't buy them. The clamps barely fit around the seatpost, and they DON'T fit the handlebars at all. Bringing them back for a refund.

The holder for the pump is a PITA as it holds the pump out sideways on the frame. Pump seems sturdy enough though.

The jersey's are good enough.

Anyone have a clue how the stock is in Rathfarnham (& Rathmines, but going on memory that's usually ransacked early)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Normally take a 10 in a shoe, had to get an 11 as the 10's where way too tight.
    Didn't get anything, only wanted the shoes but they were way too tight. I was looking at the size 11, and by the feel of them i would have needed a size larger.

You had me worried lads! My order was waiting for me when I got home from work. Shoes are a perfect fit. :)
    Also got jersey (seems ok), vest (decent quality) and gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I picked up the gloves in Balbriggan. There's lots of stock of everything there for anyone who's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Got gloves, socks, two of the vests and the shoes (never had cucling shoes before. So went to halfords and bought some pedals. The guy in Halfords at Airside even fitted the cleats to the shoes. Got home and did my regular 20k loop and took a couple of minutes off my regular time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Got the two jerseys, socks, light, saddle, glasses and gloves. No damn vests for men in either in Castletroy or Childers road. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got new helmets for the kids, brilliant helmets for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any review ofthe pumps lads? Seemed fairly solid. Very little left in lidl Portlaoise. About 50 pumps though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Kevin dublin

I've used the pump & it seems fine. I think somebody mentioned that previous pumps failed at the bottom mount, these ones seem fairly solid.

Can't give you a long term review as I've only got the pump a few days!!

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I've used the pump & it seems fine. I think somebody mentioned that previous pumps failed at the bottom mount, these ones seem fairly solid.

Can't give you a long tern review as I've only got the pump a few days!!

Kevin

I think I will pick one up so. I have to get one anyway! Thanks Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I bought 2 (two) of the lidl track pumps last Monday. I tried to use one of them yesterday. It was my second time using it. Basically, the head that attaches to the valve on the tube crumbled when I tried to create a seal. Crumbled. I then went home and applied a small amount of rough pressure to the second pumps head and it crumbled as well. Shockingly cheap plastic. I picked up two replacement heads today, one at my LBS and one online, here. I got both of them for a tenner. I am now 26 euro in the hole for cheap, ****ty pumps. If anything else goes wrong with them, I am going to re-assign the pumps for self-defense, when riots break out in this country, and spend some serious cash online, at wiggle, buying a pump that will last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Didn't realise you could buy spares for pumps. I bought a Lidl pump to replace the pump holder from my Blackburn pump. Threw the pump away and kept the holder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Longsleeve jerseys where the material is so flimsy you could only wear it in a heatwave. I suppose it saves putting sunscreen on your arms.
    Shallow pockets for dumping your stuff out on the road.
    Not great gear.

It is pretty rubbish gear alright. False economy all the way, I think. I will see how the replacement heads hold up, but from now on I think I will save my money up and buy quality stuff from chainreactioncycles.com or wiggle.co.uk. A better bet in the long run I think. I thought I was immune to claims like "Track Pump for only 8 euro" by now. Alas, I have much to learn yet before I can call myself a Jedi Master. A more honest advertising claim would have been "A lump of **** that bears a striking resemblance to a track pump, for only 8 euro!!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

meh my 25 quid bbb one needed the head replacing after 3 months seems to be where the manufacturers save money (my old lidl pump lasted for years)

meh my 25 quid bbb one needed the head replacing after 3 months seems to be where the manufacturers save money (my old lidl pump lasted for years)

I am going to be very interested to see how long the lidl pump will last me now, after replacing the head. The rest of it appears pretty solid. Only time will tell, I guess. Nothing is built to last these days.

Advertisement