Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Intermittent connection (clonsilla d15 area)

• 15-08-2011 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi All,

Since yesterday I am having issues with the line, intermittent connection. The line is constantly dropping, it stays up for a while than goes down, then up again and so on.

I have contacted the tech support different times but I could not get definitive information, so in order to help them as well, does someone else have the same, or similar, problem in D15 or nearby?

Thanks a million for your help

Comments

I'm in the Clonsilla area and I'm not having any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

UPC have had very flaky connection since saturday evening ( at least thats when I noticed it) . I have been on to the customer service more than 10 times . Initially I went through the scipted response of rebooting the modem , rebooting my laptop etc. but then they acknowledged an area wide issue and said that the technicians will be out soon. Since then I have been getting various deadlines (Monday 4:30 pm, 8:30 pm) but the problem persists. Didnt have time to check this morning to see if it was fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

My father was having issues in Huntstown...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

I heard from them yesterday that there was a wide issue in Navan road, Huntstown area, but I actually beleive it takes as well hartstown and nearby areas.

When i called yesterday they told me that before 6 pm everything should have been solved, but it didn't.

This morning I have checked the modem before come to work and all the proper lights were on, but does someone know if the issue is really solved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Well Im in Ravenswood myself and have been having consistent issues with speed.

I had an old Blue NTL modem and had been testing speeds on speedtest.net (I use this as it saves the results for me).

To rule out any other variables like splitters etc I tested at the box outside
    https://plus.google.com/photos/112883109342007018989/albums/5639681937991232785/5639681951349431634?hl=en

My results speak for themselves.. crap
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=27ad77016fe53a2d320558d9fa2c6b64&ria=0

There's actually a good solid block of 25Mbs where I tested at my parents house.

I had the Engineer out yesterday and he gave me a new modem (Cisco 2203) I retested and it looked like the issue was resolved-- a good solid block of ~20Mbs. That is until evening time when my speeds were crap again. I retested again this morning when I woke up and my speeds were normal again.
    Ive asked on UPC on Twitter whether there is a contention ratio and they said no.

Elsewhere I saw it claimed contention was 17:1 (http://broadbandireland.blogs.ie/category/upc/) but this post could be old.

Im still not happy myself with this as Im paying for a 20Mb line --soon to be 25Mb and will be charged €35 per month for the new speed from 5th September.

But Im not getting the speeds Im paying for. I can appreciate some loss at peak times but not to the extent that Im experiencing.

Oh speed tests on UPC and magnet show similar results--they just dont have a record facility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement