Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New burrito take-away beside Searsons

Options
  • 15-08-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Only on Baggot Street would they try charge €9 for a burrito.

Surely not even D4-types are gonna pay €9 for something that costs less than €6 everywhere else. Or maybe they will ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is this the place of which you write-?

http://www.pablopicante.ie/baggot_street.html

Can't see anything on the menu even approaching €9 if it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Just FYI I went on the big burrito taste test recently and tried Pablo Picante, Boojum and Burritos & Blues.

Pablo Picante was the most expensive with the smallest portion and slowest service but pretty ok.
    Burritos & Blues was the worst IMO.
    Boojum was the all around winner, best burritos, best price, best service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just FYI I went on the big burrito taste test recently and tried Pablo Picante, Boojum and Burritos & Blues.

Pablo Picante was the most expensive with the smallest portion and slowest service but pretty ok.

And you havent sampled Little Ass yet. Good overall rating above though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I didn't think Little Ass sounded that good, so I wanted to go to the 3 popular ones first... but being disappointed with 2 of them I think I would try Little Ass.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Tolteca is this new place, Pablos is further up.

Ventured down last night.
    Nice airy spot, seats outside, and pretty big burrito (although a bit square :confused:).
    They were also doing 2 for 1 on them last night (until end of Sept I think).
    Burrito itself was fine. Nothing to write home about tbh.

Though they say they use all Irish ingredients, beef was stringy.

However, the menu is big, and there was a good queue, so will be back for another try.
    Won't be back after September though. 9 ****in quid is eye watering for a burrito, particularly when you can get a Pablo Picante up the road for about €2.50 cheaper.

This place does open till late though, which could be a lifesaver.

Here's their Facebook: www.facebook.com/ToltecaIreland

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

listermint wrote: »
    And you havent sampled Little Ass yet. Good overall rating above though. :)

Yip Little Ass is good.
    Great beer and good coffee too.

New place on Abbey St aswell I hear, Burritos and Orange it's called for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

They do juice as well as burritos, hence the name. Burritos and Orange. :)
    Pretty decent. Between 12 and 3 its 4.95 for a burrito and bottle of water. I only have taco taco in the Epicurean and Boojum in the Italian Quarter to compare and they were favourable.
    One thing I liked was the big pot of coriander, I love coriander and the others usually only have it in their salsa, in burritos and orange you can have as much extra thrown on as you like. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Prefer Pablo's to Boojum myself. I can get a student discount there. :)

Where's this Little Ass place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I only had Pablo Picante once and it was OK. Have had the other two many times and quite frankly the quality seems to vary from burrito to burrito - every time I think I have a particularly nice one at one place, the next time I go there it's mediocre.

I just don't think there's anywhere in Dublin you can be guaranteed a really good burrito :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

What's Burritos and Orange like on Abbey St?

They have a daily deal today that looks good at: http://livingsocial.com/deals/72708?msdc_id=1482&ref=Deal081611_1482_6063email

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What's Burritos and Orange like on Abbey St?
    Just had lunch there today. The service was slow the first two times I was there but it was much quicker today.
    I quite liked my burrito and at €4.95 (incl. drink) it's definitely good value.
    More specifically there's more meats to choose from (minced beef, pork, chicken, and beef pieces). Rice is added to this as is bean paste (whereas nearby Boojum use actual beans like pinto beans).

After that you've three sauces: mild, medium and hot which are composed of about five things in turn (such as corn, salsa, etc. Can't recall them all). The hot one had chilli peppers and habaneros and was suitably fiery.

Then add in some lettuce, onions, etc. The selection here is better than most others and there's no limit with the offer. I chose chilli peppers, onions, and cheese for example.

Finally there's sour cream if you want.

It was all packaged up quite neatly and was as filling as required.
    There's plenty of seating too so I was quite happy with what I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

ill try it out for sure.. pablo's is my favourite personally. boojum is great too. The fact they serve beer is a really big thing that separates them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Have tried them all, and Boojum still wins. Tastes great everytime, some of the others can be a bit hit & miss.
    Service in Boojum is good too, staff always look happy and enthuastic somehow, even tho they are just putting same crap into a burrito!

Its my after work Thursday treat to head there and enjoy one with the hot sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I have been sorely disappointed with the burritos in Dublin to be honest. In London I much preferred the system where it is a bar and you go up and they build the burrito infront of you in stages so that you get to choose exactly what goes in with little hassle. I find the way the menus are here is that they are really inflexible and if for some reason I want something else in my burrito they don't know how to price it.
    Is there anywhere in Dublin that has the bar style system?

*sniffle* missing Chilangos and Ponchos so much right now. London, imma coming back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Larianne wrote: »
    Prefer Pablo's to Boojum myself. I can get a student discount there. :)

Where's this Little Ass place?

Last time me self and a mate, both mature students, went to Pablo's to get the student special, the cheeky fecker behind the counter said we were too old to be students. That and the average burritos wouldn't make me go back in a hurry.
    Boojum all the way, the ingredients in the burritos and the staff are way nicer than Pablo's or Burritos and Blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have had Chilangos quite a bit in the UK. Also had Chipotle a few times in the States - London as well.

From memory, Chipotle in the States was the best but I really really like Boojum. I prefer to have peppers in mine so anywhere that doesn't have them, Pablo Picantes for example, is a no no.

D-Generate wrote: »
    I have been sorely disappointed with the burritos in Dublin to be honest. In London I much preferred the system where it is a bar and you go up and they build the burrito infront of you in stages so that you get to choose exactly what goes in with little hassle. I find the way the menus are here is that they are really inflexible and if for some reason I want something else in my burrito they don't know how to price it.
    Is there anywhere in Dublin that has the bar style system?

*sniffle* missing Chilangos and Ponchos so much right now. London, imma coming back!
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly but Burritos and Orange is an all in one price. If you want guacamole and sour cream and refried beans but no rice, that's fine.
    They also do a pick your own sallady bit. You pick your meat, and your salsa, then choose what salads (onion, cheese, lettuce, jalapenos, tomatoe etc) then they wrap it up and hand it to you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Having spent a summer in San Francisco back in the 90s on my J1, I fell madly in love with burritos and Mexican food. I lived in the Mission part of SF and the range and quality of the nearby eateries and their burritos was fantastic.

It's great to see Dublin now having a few placed where you can get a burrito but having tried most of them, I have to say that Boojum wins hands down. I really really hope that the open another Boojum in town soon. The burritis there are of the best quality and it has a funky and cool vibe.:):pac:

€9 for a take away burrito is outrageous - pure Irish rip off.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

ixoy wrote: »
    The hot one had chilli peppers and habaneros and was suitably fiery.

Haven't been to Burritos & Orange yet but I hope it's hotter than the "hot" sauces at the other Dublin burrito places. I haven't found one yet that I would describe as anything more than "pretty hot".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Pablo Picante is great, although sometimes they don't drain off the liquid from the fillings and the bottom is wet.
    I haven't tried boojum, I'll definitely give it a go. Although FreudianSlippers, you say it's cheaper than Pablo Picante, the few things I compared on their online menus suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I kinda don't get all this Boojum love? We used to visit although the place is underwhelming - faux modern darkness with uncomfortable tall seats. Last time though my OH's steak burrito was revolting, the steak was so nasty and gristly that he couldn't finish it (highly unusual for him). We haven't been back since, the mere thought of this awful steak makes him shudder...

Whoever is looking for peppers, Little Ass guys seem to pack in plenty.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Haven't been to Burritos & Orange yet but I hope it's hotter than the "hot" sauces at the other Dublin burrito places. I haven't found one yet that I would describe as anything more than "pretty hot".
    Ask them to throw in some extra chillis if you're worried about the hot salsa not being hot. They also have tabasco on all the tables if you need an extra shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Are they very bad for you? Fatty, or healthy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The new Burrito's & Blues on Stephen Street is tops. And they make it in front of you there and then.
    Much nicer than the Burrito I had in Pablo's a while back. Haven't tried anwhere else (in Dublin).

Sooopie wrote: »
    Are they very bad for you? Fatty, or healthy enough?
    Depends on the fillings I'd guess. The wrap is just empty carbs, but there's little enough of it.
    If you got a chicken one and skipped the rice and cheese it should be fine. I'd imagine my favorite, a chorizo one with extra cheese, guacamole and refried beans is the other end of the scale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The best place for burritos in my opinion is the mexican place up by christchurch. Can't remember the name of it but it is actually mexican as opposed to just some chain type thing that the rest seem to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Azteca is the place by Christchurch...very good imo but not a specific burrito place.

Ok just for a bit of context- the burrito joints currently popping up around Dublin are following a style of burrito popularized in the Mission District in San Francisco. Thus these would be known as "Mission style" burritos (i.e. with a full bar of ingredients etc...) Azteca is more traditional Mexican cuisine such as cilaquilles, sopes etc....kind of a different thing.

For the record- I am originally from the States and would say I have eaten a ton of burritos in my time. I recently returned from a trip out to San Francisco and ate at some of the "Godfathers" of the Mission style burrito (La Taqueria etc...) IMO the burrito rankings in DUB should go

1. Pablo Picante - I think this mainly for the flavor of the meats they use and for the distinct habanero flavor in their salsa. That being said I have had an "off" burrito or two in their and I think consistency can be an issue at PP

2. Boojum - The most consistent - always pretty decent and the steaming of the tortilla before filling it is a really good thing. The tacos are great there as well

3. The new place on Baggot St. Forgot the name but was down there two days ago- was decent but didn't blow me away. Meat was pretty bland and 9 E for a burrito is redic.

4. Taco Taco in the Epicurian- ok but I find their rice strange

5. Burritos and Blues- very mediocre -

I haven't tried Burritos and Orange but it looks crap from the set up- I also haven't tried Little Ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gdkaufmann

I really liked Little Ass Burritos in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

To be honest, I looked at the Burrito and Orange menu when I was around there the other day and one thing instantly spoke out to me and said "If you want good mexican food, don't eat here." This thing was the fact that along with Mexican food on the menu they have Full Irish Breakfasts.. You can keep your Burritos and Orange thanks very much..

Boojum is the absolute best Burrito in Dublin. Always consistantly good, staff are always friendly and there's never any hassle substituting items from the menu.. the atmosphere always seems good and I don't know if it's me but it seems to be mostly young-ish people filling it. Love the loyalty card too, just 2 more meals and a free burrito for me ;)

Oh yeah, Burritos and Blues? Overpriced, tiny portions and dirty. I'll stick to Boojum thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Starting to like Boojum. Been there twice this week :o due to convenience. They've a student price! Burrito for a fiver or with a can/bottle of water for €6! Pretty good.

Advertisement