Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New burrito take-away beside Searsons

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 burritoking

To be honest, I looked at the Burrito and Orange menu when I was around there the other day and one thing instantly spoke out to me and said "If you want good mexican food, don't eat here." This thing was the fact that along with Mexican food on the menu they have Full Irish Breakfasts.. You can keep your Burritos and Orange thanks very much..

Boojum is the absolute best Burrito in Dublin. Always consistantly good, staff are always friendly and there's never any hassle substituting items from the menu.. the atmosphere always seems good and I don't know if it's me but it seems to be mostly young-ish people filling it. Love the loyalty card too, just 2 more meals and a free burrito for me ;)

Oh yeah, Burritos and Blues? Overpriced, tiny portions and dirty. I'll stick to Boojum thanks.

I would have to agree... Burritos and Blues used to be (in my eyes) the dogs B****** ....they got sloppy, smaller, stupidly greasy ; accompanied with a sauce that a mexican wouldn't entertain.

Ive had Littleass and to be honest they have gotten alot better since their launch and theyve upped their spicefactor(which primarily is the reason why i enjoy burritos so much)...

Boojum is amazing... although they often run out of their homemade hot sauce which is delish!

Boojum all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

This week I tried Burritos & Orange and Pablo Picante on Lower Baggot Street for the first time. Verdict on the veggie burritos:

Pablo Picante - not terribly tasty, but hottest hot sauce yet. Still not burn-off-your-mouth hot though, which is what something called "Super Picante" should be.

Burritos & Orange - hot sauce less hot than Pablo Picante's, but very good burrito otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Pablo Picantes is my favorite followed by Boojum. I find all of them to be very inconsistent though. I've had the same hot sauces that would blow your brains out one day and be very mild the next day. Also the rice can be brutal sometimes too. I also quite liked the new Burritos and Blues but agree that it's not a patch on the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Are there any La Salsa take aways in Dublin? There's a few in Galway who do amazing burritos and all sorts of mexican

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Are there any La Salsa take aways in Dublin? There's a few in Galway who do amazing burritos and all sorts of mexican
    Not that I've heard at least. Any around eyre sq? I've a stag that direction in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Nevore wrote: »
    Not that I've heard at least. Any around eyre sq? I've a stag that direction in a few weeks.

There's one at the cross st end if shop street and there's one that you'll see on a corner if you are down CP's or Halo direction

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tried Burritos and Orange on Abbey St yesterday. Had the Nachos. Not impressed. The nachos were tiny, triangular chips about the size of an old 10p piece. Not big enough to scoop the food up on. Napkins were in short supply, so I scooped the toppings onto the chips with a fork to keep my fingers clean. The chips were so so thin, they snapped in two the minute the fork touched them. Very frustrating. The beauty of nachos is to scoop a good sized and varied amount of food up on a chip. You can't do this here. The chips are way too small and thin for the task.

The way the nachos were prepared was very weird. Mounds of rather tasteless chicken were slopped onto a plate. Then topped with nachos. Then grated cheese. The plate was then put into a heater to melt the cheese. Fair enough. That's how it is done in the States.Then more toppings were put on (salsa, sour cream, lettuce, cilantro, jalepenos etc) and then it was back under the heat AGAIN. Lettuce and sour cream and most cold, salady type topping do NOT react well to heat. The lettuce and cilantro went limp, and the chips went soggy from the excess heat and all the soggy chicken juice they were sitting in. Will go back once more to try the burritos as I have a life long love affair with burritos. Have recently relocated here from the US so I know how this kind of food is supposed to be prepared. They better up their game next time around or they can kiss me goodbye as a customer.

They get an A +++ for service. They were very nice and friendly towards me when I was there. As I was eating, a guy came in and insisted on their explaining in great deal what exactly nachos, burritos and tacos are, and how they are made. I wanted to get up, smack him in the face and tell him to shut the eff up, but the lady he was speaking to couldn't have been nicer or more patient with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

All ill say is Taco taco.......

None of the fancy over the top stuff u get in the hipster burrito joints.

Just a well made great tasting burrito that is good value and good quality :).

Im fecking dying for one been way to long!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Pretty bland IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Tried Burritos and Orange on Abbey St yesterday

I was there a while ago, I liked the burrito I got, very very tasty and you're right about the staff, super friendly. AWFUL decor and shiny gold coloured plastic plates... so bad I sort of like it.

Anyone been to Mexico so we can get a direct comparison or are all these places Tex-Mex? what I had was lovely, but it could be pretty far from the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 caramel21

kmoon wrote: »
    Only on Baggot Street would they try charge €9 for a burrito.

Surely not even D4-types are gonna pay €9 for something that costs less than €6 everywhere else. Or maybe they will ...[/
    Quote]

I'm all for the cheap feeds but canteen-style slop served in that place actually made me sick all day yesterday. So take from that what you will. Staff serving the slop with long hair falling down around their faces and gone-off cheese in the nachos. I have been to Mexico and it's about as close to a proper Mexican feed as chicken balls are to Chinese dinners .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

caramel21 wrote: »
    I have been to Mexico

Right, it's your job to go to all the Mexican joints in Dublin and report back here. :)

Sorry to hear you were sick. I hope you let them know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Gae wrote: »
    Pretty bland IMO

Dunno what you got but usually tastes great any time ive had it or anyone i know has.

Even the rice tastes better i find some places the rice ruins the burrito.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I was there a while ago, I liked the burrito I got, very very tasty and you're right about the staff, super friendly. AWFUL decor and shiny gold coloured plastic plates... so bad I sort of like it.
    Aye, I've enjoyed the burritos I've had here and I've been a number of times. Started here when the queues for Boojum became too long without enough seating.
    It's tacky inside but there's enough tables / chairs and they're quite good at filling up the burrito with different salads without charging more (for most of them).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

None of the fancy over the top stuff u get in the hipster burrito joints.

Just a well made great tasting burrito that is good value and good quality :).

Im fecking dying for one been way to long!!!!.

I remember back over a decade ago when the Epicurean food hall was new and Taco Taco was the only place in Dublin you could get a burrito to go.

Back then, it was okay. I was at Taco Taco lately and the burrito I had was so disgusting - dry and full of chillis and cheap rice that I vowed never to return there again.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Taco Taco is still tasty in its own way but I wouldn't put it in the same league at all as places like Boojum and so on. I'd visit Boojum far more regularly as well.

The one thing that Taco Taco does do that no other burrito place does is fries... quite nice with sour cream. I know fries are not strictly Mexican but I would like the option of having fries with my burrito. Maybe next time I'm in Boojum next I'll try their nachos for once and my want of having fries will be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The one on Baggot Street which this thread is about is round the corner from me. I go there every now and then when I fancy a burrito but don't want to trek into town. It's alright. The burrito is pretty big and the prices does drop if you don't have steak.

Big fan of Boojum though. And they get extra marks for selling Brooklyn Beer & Sam Adam for less than €3 a bottle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Anyone been to Mexico so we can get a direct comparison or are all these places Tex-Mex?

Cal-Mex, more like.

Advertisement