Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science v Pharmacutical Science

Options
  • 15-08-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My son is interested in doing Biomedical Science in CIT/UCC next year. He is really interested in science and working in a lab.

Considering the public sector recruitment embargo I would think the job situation must be very bleak at the moment.

Just a few questions, is a Bio Med degree a good degree to work abroad. Are you limited to just working in a hospital lab, or would a pharmacutical science degree be just as beneficial.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

dell33 wrote: »
    My son is interested in doing Biomedical Science in CIT/UCC next year. He is really interested in science and working in a lab.

Considering the public sector recruitment embargo I would think the job situation must be very bleak at the moment.

Just a few questions, is a Bio Med degree a good degree to work abroad. Are you limited to just working in a hospital lab, or would a pharmacutical science degree be just as beneficial.

A biomed degree from gmit, dit or cit carries with it membership of the AMLS which means it is valid throughout the commonwealth. Those from the universities do not carry that membership. I did one year of the four year biomedical science degree in DIT. It was a great course with and I really enjoyed it, but left to do medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dell33

thank you, do many use Bio Med as a stepping stone to medicine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I did biomed sci in CIT/DIT. Great course and you arent confined to working in public labs. Im off to do a phd (as many in my class have done also), and have had jobs in pharmaceutical QC and watertesting.

It's a good foundation degree if you want to do further study, I wouldnt select a college course based soley on current job prospects or perceived narrow career paths

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dell33

Tree wrote: »
    I did biomed sci in CIT/DIT. Great course and you arent confined to working in public labs. Im off to do a phd (as many in my class have done also), and have had jobs in pharmaceutical QC and watertesting.

It's a good foundation degree if you want to do further study, I wouldnt select a college course based soley on current job prospects or perceived narrow career paths

thank for your reply, good to hear that you are off
    to do your PHd. Best of luck with your further studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Hey Dell33,

Biomedical Science is a pretty decent degree to do. Plenty of opportunities exist for graduates. I'm just out of the CIT-UCC degree and it's served me very well and I've gained a wealth of experience. The course itself is intense enough (had 40hours of college for the first two years) but an excellent springboard for post-graduate degrees like a PhD or masters.
    There's a good few discussions about biomed on this forum for example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056287199

A good few of graduate I know have gone on to do medicine, as it's sort of a natural progression. I wouldn't say though that people do it just to get into medicine.
    Hope this helps, if you've any other questions feel free to pm me.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hi does anyone here have any experience with Biomed in UCD? Hours, facilities etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 biomed

Hi, does anyone know if a graduate certificate in biomedical science from university of ulster, coleraine is recognised in the republic of ireland to work/register as a biomedical scientist??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Nope, I've done it and found out after I paid my fees!

Fecked off to say the least however you'd really need to do the masters if you wanted to get anywhere, the certificate is really just something for people who maybe failed a module.
    However, its a brilliant course, fab facilities and totally grounds me in working in a research lab as opposed to a hospital setting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 biomed

Ok thanks, good to know! do u know if the masters is recognised or do you have to do a course in the republic of ireland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

biomed wrote: »
    Ok thanks, good to know! do u know if the masters is recognised or do you have to do a course in the republic of ireland??

Nope, it is definitely not recognised unless you do a recognised biomed undergrad course.

Hope it helps :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement