Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelset change

• 15-08-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Just wanted to know what other people do in regard to changing wheelsets - I was thinking that I should get a new cassette on the new wheels (Ksyrium Elites / GP4000S 700x23), and assume that this would mean getting a new chain. I could then put thicker winter tyres (Ultra Gatorskins 700x25) on the old wheels, but does that mean I should also change the cassette on those as well because of the new chain? Also, my current cassette is a SRAM PG-950 11-26, 9 speed with Tiagra gears - Am I right in thinking that Mega 9 cassettes are incompatible and there is no way of going up to 10 speed without swapping out the whole groupset?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

kennyb3 wrote: »

So go with a new cassette on new wheels, new chain and keep the old cassette on the old wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

aquanaut wrote: »
    So go with a new cassette on new hoops, new chain and keep the old cassette on the old hoops?
    Any amount of options depending on how much you want to spend.

Assuming chain isnt worn no need for a new one. You can get a cassette for the new hoops if you like as it make changing instant or if you have one and are handy with a whip tool you can change the cassette and you dont have to spend another cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Put a new cassette on the new rear wheel - changing it over every time you change wheels is too much of a PITA. As kenny says, you don't need a new chain assuming the old one isn't too worn.

And stop calling them "hoops";)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

How d'ya loike me new hoops, boyo?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    How d'ya loike me new hoops, boyo?!?

I'm not from D4 or Wales ! ;)

Advertisement