Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Villiers School, Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Mr. K wrote: »
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    And because they're smothered in school when they get to college they often don't sucked because they can't take control of their own learning.

Exactly. Obviously some can adapt, but I'm sure it's a jarring change. Those places are ridiculous, I wonder if they've struggled since money got tight?

A girl who was in presentation the same time as me went to tutorial for her LC year. She only got about ten points more than most people in her year in pres! Was that really worth the seven(correct me if Im wrong??) grand for tutorial!

And everyone i know who went to schools like that all over the country are struggling in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

A girl who was in presentation the same time as me went to tutorial for her LC year. She only got about ten points more than most people in her year in pres! Was that really worth the seven(correct me if Im wrong??) grand for tutorial!

And everyone i know who went to schools like that all over the country are struggling in college.

That's because they're spoonfed every answer and learn it word for word. They have no idea how to locate and process the information they need! They expect it to be done for them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I had a similar experience. At that money, you'd expect them to be get at least 100 more points than people in normal schools.

...are we going off topic here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I went to the GC (back in the day). I have to say that at the end of school I had a very good level of spoken Irish - mind you i've never used it since leaving! I just want to clear up some things :
    There is a chapel on site in the school. Students are expected to go to mass during the school year and mass is part of the school graduation.
    While there may not be pass classes for certain subjects, students can indeed take pass papers in the state exams. When I was at school there were pass English and pass maths classes.
    Most students don't sit there exams in English but do take the English translation of the papers as well as the Irish one just to make sure they have the translation right.

Both GS's have very good reputations. The only thing I would say about the other GS is that they don't seem to have big school grounds so i'd wonder about their focus on extra currricular activiters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Crea wrote: »
    Both GS's have very good reputations. The only thing I would say about the other GS is that they don't seem to have big school grounds so i'd wonder about their focus on extra currricular activiters.

I passed it everyday for six weeks and the kids were always outside in trackeys with rugby balls or hurleys and stuff after school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

One more point - LHGC - the term for JC is now back from 4 yrs to 3yrs - just like their friends doing the exams through English. Not sure of that situation over in Villiers tho.

Also I think that there is talk that the extra points allocated for doing it through Irish are also being revoked. Obviously it didn't happen this year. Ref http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bunty_singh

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Considering Villiers amongst others for my daughters second level education. I am keen to send her to a Gaelscoil but if that doesn't work out I was thinking of Villiers.
    Has anybody gone there / sent their children there and is it a good school to consider, would you recommend it?

I've been to Villiers, and I have no complaints about my education there. I finished in 2006. One of their best qualities is that the teachers are happy to give grinds to students who need it, the class size is small in comparison to other schools so there's more attention per student. Also, when it came to studying for the leaving or the junior cert I found it helpful that I was able to stay in school until as late as 11pm to get my study done. Finally, villiers has a couple of extra curricular clubs, classes and activities that are great for teenagers interests, such as sport (huge emphasis on hockey), art, pottery, acting, metal work, caving, journalism, IT, music classes for any instrument, singing classes etc.

Personally, my interests were in art so I was often asked to design sets for fashion shows etc. That was very empowering.

All in all I don't have any bad memories from villiers and I would not have gone to another school if I had to have faced the choice again.

Also in terms of Irish, there were 3 very good Irish teachers when I was studying there. Two of which I'm sure are still there. I know a couple of people from my class who are still able to speak fluent Irish. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Hope that helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Also, when it came to studying for the leaving or the junior cert I found it helpful that I was able to stay in school until as late as 11pm to get my study done.

I forgot about this, it was really handy. The school doesn't close as early as others, since it has boarders.
    journalism, IT, music classes for any instrument, singing classes etc.

I'm nearly finished a Masters in Journalism, the school newsletter was my first experience of something like that. Villiers really got me interested in music too; there were lots of amps and instruments available to use, as well as opportunities to perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anonymous.

A great Gael Scoil is Collaiste Naomh Eoin on Inis Meain. I am currently attending the school and must say that the very low student teacher ratio is great. I my year there are less than five student though there are years that are as big as ten. The school offers a wide range of subjects: maths, english, irish, french, science, geography, home economics, woodwork, technical graphics, art, business, music, sport, C.S.P.E, S.P.H.E (all through irish) for junior cycle. There is a scholarship offered for boarding students and also a half scholarship. I am not certain but i think the price without a scholarship is around 10,000 a year but as i said before i am not sure. Students on the scholarship generally go home every second weekend either by boat or by plane. There is a huge discount on both for students on the island. Both of these services also provide a bus to Galway City. Overall this school of 25 students is in my opinion a great option for anyone with an interest in Irish who is willing to put in the work.-Junior student of Collaiste Naomh Eoin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 ifellover

I didn't go to Villiers myself, but I haven't heard great things about it. Generally speaking the Leaving Cert results in Villiers are far behind that of Laurel Hill Colaiste and Ardscoil Ris. I've heard very few good things about their principal, look up ratemyteachers.ie and see the comments about him.
    Saying that the school has great facilities.
    Another criticism is the fact that foreign students come and go. Not having a great level of English and not really working towards a Junior or Leaving Cert just brings down the whole class. My sisters went to Laurel Hill and they never had this issue.

Also, a school that doesn't put much emphasis on the Irish language and plays hockey and bans GAA really pisses me off. Its another example of Protestants not wanting to conform to mainstream Irish culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ifellover wrote: »
    I didn't go to Villiers myself, but I haven't heard great things about it. Generally speaking the Leaving Cert results in Villiers are far behind that of Laurel Hill Colaiste and Ardscoil Ris. I've heard very few good things about their principal, look up ratemyteachers.ie and see the comments about him.
    Saying that the school has great facilities.
    Another criticism is the fact that foreign students come and go. Not having a great level of English and not really working towards a Junior or Leaving Cert just brings down the whole class. My sisters went to Laurel Hill and they never had this issue.

Also, a school that doesn't put much emphasis on the Irish language and plays hockey and bans GAA really pisses me off. Its another example of Protestants not wanting to conform to mainstream Irish culture.

I could sorta see where you were coming from up til here...

Meh, most of the city schools don't put much effort into GAA, seems unfair to make it seem like Villiers is an exception. Indeed, apart from Ardscoil now, and Sexton street up to about a decade ago, do any Limerick city schools really have much of a GAA history? Sexton street seems to be more of a soccer school now (won a few All Ireland's over the last few years, iirc?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Laurel Hill Colaiste - which would be considered a very Irish school in its academic side has never had much GAA until this last 12 months. Hockey has always been its main sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

And because they're smothered in school when they get to college they often don't sucked because they can't take control of their own learning.
    Skintwin wrote: »
    That's because they're spoonfed every answer and learn it word for word. They have no idea how to locate and process the information they need! They expect it to be done for them! :rolleyes:

I went to one such school for 2 years and I am currently about to finish a PhD. Spoon feeding goes on in every school and it continues in a lot of college courses too. In my experience (having worked as a college tutor for 3 years) the whole system is being dumbed down to the point that 1st year college students with 400+ points are incapable of writing a coherent essay, with many not even capable of structuring a sentence correctly. The whole system needs a revamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Clements when I was there was all GAA and little or nothing for the "english" sports such as soccer and rugby - i think it was down to the principal though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

My sister goes there. The emphasis in the school isn't on high academic achievement, the school's ethos is a lot more focused on producing well-rounded individuals.

As for the principal you mention, I'm guessing you're referring to Hardy? Who's no longer there. In any case, I'll put more stock in the numerous opinions I hear from students and parents than those few looking to vent anonymously online.

What?

Complete arse. That's a very misplaced perception that still lingers, unfortunately. There is no more emphasis on religion in Villier's than any other school in Limerick; certainly less so than the two colleges you named. Incidentally we as a family aren't religious in any way.

The sister loves the hockey. More sports you get to play, the better.

And tbh, getting 'pissed off' about something so banal says more about you than the school's approach to education.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    My sister goes there. The emphasis in the school isn't on high academic achievement, the school's ethos is a lot more focused on producing well-rounded individuals.

As for the principal you mention, I'm guessing you're referring to Hardy? Who's no longer there. In any case, I'll put more stock in the numerous opinions I hear from students and parents than those few looking to vent anonymously online.

What?

Complete arse. That's a very misplaced perception that still lingers, unfortunately. There is no more emphasis on religion in Villier's than any other school in Limerick; certainly less so than the two colleges you named. Incidentally we as a family aren't religious in any way.

The sister loves the hockey. More sports you get to play, the better.

And tbh, getting 'pissed off' about something so banal says more about you than the school's approach to education.

As for Hardy ratings on ratemyteachers.ie, yes angry students do vent their frustration but still Hardy has one of the lowest ratings I've ever seen. I've never heard any Villiers student say a good word about him.

Yes, Villiers does get it fair share of foreign students who come for a while, who obviously don't have our level of English which brings the standards of the class down. Its the nature of the school they're fee-paying and accept boarders.

As for Villiers not being open to GAA and the Irish language, Protestant schools never seemed to open to Irish culture which again in a way reinforces that divide in that has existed in Ireland between the two traditions for centuries.
    There was even a case in 2006, where two Catholic students from Adare weren't allowed on a Villiers bus simply because they were Roman Catholic. It's like being in Alabama in the 1960's.
    Ciaran - why don't you condemn this?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/catholic-parents-anger-over-vec-bus-pass-ban-83182.html

Overall, Villiers isn't a good school. Forget about being 'well-rounded', whatever that means (does that mean being a reasonable hockey player?). We live in tough times and if you don't do well in your Leaving, you're fúcked, seriously you're FÚCKED!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

As for Villiers not being open to GAA and the Irish language, Protestant schools never seemed to open to Irish culture which again in a way reinforces that divide in that has existed in Ireland between the two traditions for centuries.

The majority of the movement to keep knowledge of Gaeilge and Gaelic culture alive in this country between 1760s and the 1850s was carried out by Protestants. Indeed, the foundation of the GAA and the Irish literary revival involved the work of Protestant Irish men as well. I know that's not the topic of this thread, but I do think it's important to address this misconception.

I'm currently editing an anthology of essays, poems and short stories for a college publication. The majority of the students who wrote for it would have had 480+ LC points, but the material itself is barely above Junior Cert standard. Villiers may have a its detractors, but the way Irish is taught everywhere (and indeed, the whole education system, as RonMexico said yesterday) requires a major re-working.

The majority of the movement to keep knowledge of Gaeilge and Gaelic culture alive in this country between 1760s and the 1850s was carried out by Protestants. Indeed, the foundation of the GAA and the Irish literary revival involved the work of Protestant Irish men as well. I know that's not the topic of this thread, but I do think it's important to address this misconception.

I'm currently editing an anthology of essays, poems and short stories for a college publication. The majority of the students who wrote for it would have had 480+ LC points, but the material itself is barely above Junior Cert standard. Villiers may have a its detractors, but the way Irish is taught everywhere (and indeed, the whole education system, as RonMexico said yesterday) requires a major re-working.

Unionist politicians have consistently opposed funding to the Irish language. The DUP even boasted how it defeated the Irish language bill in Stormont.
    Protestant schools didn't even teach Irish for the first 30years of the foundation of the State.
    Trinity College doesn't require you to pass Irish in your Leaving.
    You should Orange Order members, many of whom are from the South what they think of the Irish language.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So you're refusing to recognise the positive contributions because of the negative actions of other elements of the same demographic. Tarring them all with the one brush, as it were. Suit yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm currently attending Villiers, so if you want to ask any questions please feel free to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Unionist politicians have consistently opposed funding to the Irish language. The DUP even boasted how it defeated the Irish language bill in Stormont.

Different country.

Different country.

Irish Protestants.

So you're refusing to recognise the positive contributions because of the negative actions of other elements of the same demographic. Tarring them all with the one brush, as it were. Suit yourself.

How come you haven't commented on that 2006 bus incident not allowing Catholics on?

How come you haven't commented on that 2006 bus incident not allowing Catholics on?

Because it has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make about language. Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Yes, Villiers does get it fair share of foreign students who come for a while, who obviously don't have our level of English which brings the standards of the class down. Its the nature of the school they're fee-paying and accept boarders.

2. As for Villiers not being open to GAA and the Irish language, Protestant schools never seemed to open to Irish culture which again in a way reinforces that divide in that has existed in Ireland between the two traditions for centuries.

3. There was even a case in 2006, where two Catholic students from Adare weren't allowed on a Villiers bus simply because they were Roman Catholic. It's like being in Alabama in the 1960's.
    Ciaran - why don't you condemn this?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/catholic-parents-anger-over-vec-bus-pass-ban-83182.html

4. Overall, Villiers isn't a good school. Forget about being 'well-rounded', whatever that means (does that mean being a reasonable hockey player?). We live in tough times and if you don't do well in your Leaving, you're fúcked, seriously you're FÚCKED!!!

1. Yes there are foreign students who attend Villiers but I am also aware of students who have attended there who were the offspring of local Limerick people who emigrated. The majority of students who attend Villiers are Irish. Boarders and Day Pupils.

In relation to Laurel Hill, you will also find people attending the English speaking school who do not have English as a first language.

Roughly 20% of all children attending primary schools in the country at the moment don't have English as a first language.

2. Until about 10 Years ago, Laurel Hill did not have GAA either. The main sport was the sport that seems to exercise you quite strongly - HOCKEY. In fact Laurel Hill have had a reputation in the past and continue to maintain a reputation for being very strong hockey players. Many Laurel Hill players have represented the country internationally at hockey.

The standard of Irish in Villiers is no better or no worse than any other school. You conveniently forget that there are school inspections by the Department of Education who insist that standards be met.

3. Its not like being in Alabama in the 1960s. The reality is that it was the Department of Education, not Villiers School who legislated on this bus. There is a rule, that if your nearest appropriate school is within 3 miles of where you live, then you don't get free transport to attend another school further away.

You will find that people living further than 3 miles from the nearest Gael Colaiste will get free transport. This used to happen with people from Castletroy going to Laurel Hill Colaiste. However with the Gael Colaiste near Barringtons, this is now their nearest Gael Colaiste.

Each person is entitled to attend a school run by their own religions denomination. So, for example, if these people in Adare had been Catholics travelling to a Muslim School outside Adare, then they would have been refused free transport as well. If you had two Church of Ireland Schools in Limerick: one being Villiers and the other in Castletroy, then Church of Ireland students coming from Caherdavin would not be entitled to get free transport to the school out in Castletroy.

4. If you look at the local statistics a little bit closer, you will find other schools in the area that fall flat according to Irish Times Statistics (I assuming your information is based on the Irish Times listing which was issued in November). These schools are run by Catholic orders.

The leaving certificate is only one exam. If you don't do well in the Leaving Certificate there are lot of different options. FETAC being one of them. You'll also find that the majority of Plumbers and Electricians don't get 600 points in their Leaving Cert and many of these guys are doing VERY well indeed.

Ifellover, you should get your facts right before you start pontificating. Or perhaps you don't like facts getting in the way of your own perceived realities.

The leaving certificate is only one exam. If you don't do well in the Leaving Certificate there are lot of different options. FETAC being one of them. You'll also find that the majority of Plumbers and Electricians don't get 600 points in their Leaving Cert and many of these guys are doing VERY well indeed.

Ifellover, you should get your facts right before you start pontificating. Or perhaps you don't like facts getting in the way of your own perceived realities.[/QUOTE]

Plumbers doing well? Its not 2006 boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Two more incorrect facts:

1. I've had plumbers turn town work in the last 12 months because they weren't interested in small jobs. I've heard stories of plumbers charging €500 to fix small issues with radiators during the last big freeze.

Any of the plumbers I know are doing very nicely.

2. I'm not a boy.

A recession doesn't effect ones need for running water, as crazy as that may seem. This side tracking isn't helping or harming the OP's opinion of Villiers.

Bicycle wrote: »
    Two more incorrect facts:

1. I've had plumbers turn town work in the last 12 months because they weren't interested in small jobs. I've heard stories of plumbers charging €500 to fix small issues with radiators during the last big freeze.

Any of the plumbers I know are doing very nicely.

2. I'm not a boy.

Wow, a couple of examples = proof.

Yep tradesmen are raking it in, that's why they're all emigrating

• Advertisement

The Emigration of tradesmen has even been discussed in the Dáil.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1952/02/14/00009.asp

I believe there is a forum for this. Get on topic or if you really wish to pursue this, take it to PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement