Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water under floor boards

Options
  • 15-08-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I am currently renting an apartment in town near one of the canals. We are a ground floor apartment and have always had issues with condensation and mould on windows and walls, however we have been able to keep it at bay.

However the last two weekends I have been away and when I arrive back on Sunday the floorboards in the hall are squishy and when you step on them water is coming up through the cracks.

The first weekend I noticed it and contacted my landlord who said I should check if anything was leaking, I did and found nothing and the area dried out and water stopped leaking. However yesterday I arrived back and it appeared to be worse with the water spreading under the floorboards to both bedrooms. You can also notice a rippling of the floorboards due to water damage. I have contacted my landlord again about this, although he is nice he isn't the most prompt responder!!

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? If it is a burst pipe etc will they have to replace the floor to fix it? I am just worried first about our stuff if it gets worse and secondly if we have to move out while they do the necessary repairs! I am wondering if also if it's going to be a big and expensive thing to fix as my landlord might not have the money or want to do it and if so we should probably consider moving!

The strange thing is it only seems to happen when we are away and nothing is being used in the apartment. Even this morning the area wasn't as bad!!

Any help or advice appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It could be so many things.

Any businesses close by that do more business over the weekend such as a pub or club.

Sounds like a burst pipe of some kind. It could easily be a drain and may even be sewage. Any smell from the water?

How old is the property or the surrounding buildings?

Serious issue that needs to be addressed I would look for a new place to rent as it may not be a quick fix. The issue you have described is beyond anything I would expect a tenant to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cin1586

Thanks Ray for the reply and the advice! The apartments are about 12 or 13 years old and we would be close to business so could potentially be that.

No smell from the water and the water that comes up is clear so it's not dirty or anything.

I was afraid we might have to look at moving out :( just cause the apartment otherwise is perfect for us but unfortunately it looks like it might come down to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What type of heating do you have?

I imagine the entire timber floor needs to be removed for the areas affected, the leak found, part of the concrete floor removed and the property ventilated for several weeks. Insurance should cover it.

You would likely have to move out.

So our landlord came over. He said that there was some water under the bath and that might be it and that we shud lay down newspaper and see wat happens. It doesn't really explain why the water is under the floorboards away from the bath or why it accumulates when we are not here though!

He also told us to use our dehumidifier and that would sort out the floorboards although I don't know if that would does anyone?

It doesn't look like he'll be lifting the floorboards to look anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cin1586 wrote: »
    He also told us to use our dehumidifier and that would sort out the floorboards although I don't know if that would does anyone?
    Landlord is a fool. Dehumidifier won't dry under the floor boards.

I presume its your electricity that will be used.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Cin1586 wrote: »
    Landlord is a fool. Dehumidifier won't dry under the floor boards.

I presume its your electricity that will be used.

That's what I thought but we don't really have an option best thing might be to look somewhere else and give him our notice!

Yes our electricity we have to use it alot because of condensation in the apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Being told to put down some newspaper and use a dehumidifier isn't fairly addressing the problem by anyones measurement stick.
    Tell him you're not happy and that you want the situation rectified properly. If he still demurs, move out. Don't bother with notice, he's not living up to his obligations as a landlord and isn't entitled to notice.

Nevore wrote: »
    Being told to put down some newspaper and use a dehumidifier isn't fairly addressing the problem by anyones measurement stick.
    Tell him you're not happy and that you want the situation rectified properly. If he still demurs, move out. Don't bother with notice, he's not living up to his obligations as a landlord and isn't entitled to notice.

I think il do the newspaper and see what he does from there if he doesn't have a proper solution we will look for somewhere else! It's just annoying because the apartment otherwise is so good for us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The fact that the water dries up and returns points to it being a recurring problem. It's a different body of water each time, so the paper might help this time, but it'll more than likely be back after you get this iteration dried up.

The landlord definitely needs a long term plan here, throwing down paper every time it happens isn't going to cut it. Not least because if you already have damp and mould problems this is only going to make it worse.

Nevore wrote: »
    The fact that the water dries up and returns points to it being a recurring problem. It's a different body of water each time, so the paper might help this time, but it'll more than likely be back after you get this iteration dried up.

The landlord definitely needs a long term plan here, throwing down paper every time it happens isn't going to cut it. Not least because if you already have damp and mould problems this is only going to make it worse.

Completely agree if it continues I am going to insist that he brings in professionals to deal with it and if not we will look at moving! Hopefully he will see some sense and sort it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

When I had a leak in the bathroom I didn't notice until it had seeped out under the tiles and the wall and reached the hall and bedroom so it could well be originating from there. You couldn't notice it under the tiles but you will eventually when it seeps up through the grout. My floor had to come up to let it dry out but thankfully there was no other damage.

Can't help on why it's only when you're not there though - sorry.

Advertisement