Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl mixed fruit juice

Options
  • 15-08-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

lidl have mixed fruit juice on offer this saturday for 80 cent/litre. says 100% fruit content. what would this be like for a turbo cider or how would it turn out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

First hit on google for lidl mixed fruit was about brewing!

not sure if its the same
    http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1303052571

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

think its the same stuff used for a wine,
    cheap enough offer so worth a try anyway :D

heard some one adding malic acid to give a more appley taste, where can this be bought,

anyone else going try some of this tomoro :pac:

got 40 litres of this stuff on saturday :eek:
    anything else i should add to it for a nice turbo cider :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have seen a lot of recipes for turbo cider, and some seem kind of messy i.e. adding more fruit juice after fermentation has become less vigorous. (Aren't you exposing your brew? Can't you just use another fermenter and leave the space?)

One recipe that I noted blended the fruit juice with water and regular sugar - about 2 litres of juice to 1 litre of water.

Also one trend I see is people making rocket fuel out of TC. The apple juice on its own has an SG of 1.042 or thereabouts, which will result in a respectable potency at FG. Using sugar for flavour on the other hand (like honey, dark sugar etc.) seems okay to me.

Some of the TC recipes I see call for introducing malic acid (via crab apples), avoiding lemon juice and even adding in strong tea (for tannins - thought that was only used with Turbo Wine, but I have seen it used in TC recipes).

If you have a lot, it might be worth using several demijohns and experimenting with natural companions to apples. A pinch of cinnamon or cloves might be interesting. However, the word here is pinch. Tiny amounts of spice can totally dominate/ruin a brews flavour.

• Advertisement

opened a carton today to sample it in its raw form :)
    it has a real dark carrot colur and quite a strong vitamin smell :eek:
    will try a 25l batch in the next day or so :pac:
    have made a few batches ot TC with lidl apple juice now and they turned out lovely.
    is there anything else other than crab apples to use for malic acid

Advertisement