Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waking up again - help!

Options
  • 15-08-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Our 4 month old started sleeping through at 9 weeks. Well from 12 until 6am, but we were ecstatic and felt human again. Two weeks ago we moved her out of her moses basket and into a travel cot as her proper cot wouldnt fit in our room. Since then she now "wakes" hourly and cries until I give her the soother. Not sure shes actually awake but she is crying. By 4am I usually give in and take her into my bed because as my husband works nights I look after her most of the time and would do anything for some sleep! So question is do I blame the cot or is there a sleep regression thing at 4 months? We thought it was teething but other than a little dribbling and chewing her hands a lot Im not sure its the cause.

Any advice welcome, feel like a zombie these days :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

That sounds quite tough, its terrible when you can't get sleep :( Can I ask why the decision to put her into travel cot instead of her own cot? Is it because it's in a different room?

I know lots of people have different views and feelings on when to put the baby in their own room. My sister told me to do it before she (our baby, not my sister!) was old enough to notice - so she went in about 4 and half months. Would have been 4 months but we were going on hols and she was in our room for that so didn't want to do it until we came back.

Have to say it was best thing ever! :D First night I was hopping in and out like mad. But that was more me anxious than her complaining!! Maybe try your little one in their own room if you feel it might be time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It could be 4 month sleep regression or teething or the cot or a combination of all of them. The 4 month regression was terrible for us and have to say the 6 month one isn't much better.

Are you using a playpen style travel cot or one that you can raise the base up? I used a travel cot when I was away recently and after two nights of screaming I gave up and put him in the bed with me. He's nearly 7 months but he was lost in it and was at the bottom of it so I can understand why he hated it.

We got a mini cosleeper as we couldn't fit a coy in our room either and are moving him into his own room this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

theLuggage wrote: »
    That sounds quite tough, its terrible when you can't get sleep :( Can I ask why the decision to put her into travel cot instead of her own cot? Is it because it's in a different room?

Not ready for her to go into other room yet, was thinking 6 months. As she was looking for the soother a lot i though it would be painful having to go in and out to her. Also her cot doesnt fit in our room and had to buy a travel cot anyway.

Are you using a playpen style travel cot or one that you can raise the base up?.

Its a Graco On the Go that has a raised bassinet.Im not convinced its totally comfortable though. She moves a lot around it and manages to turn 90 degrees by the morning! She sleeps well when we take her into our bed and barely moves.

mrsberries wrote: »
    As she was looking for the soother a lot i though it would be painful having to go in and out to her.

+1 on this! It can be I have to say though ours is mostly good at heavy sleeping, the lazy article! ;)

Just had a quick thought - how is she sleeping during the day? Maybe it's a case of sleeping too much? Although I have to say I subscribe to don't wake a sleeping baby! Sorry can't be more help...

• Advertisement

theLuggage wrote: »
    +1 on this! It can be I have to say though ours is mostly good at heavy sleeping, the lazy article! ;)

Just had a quick thought - how is she sleeping during the day? Maybe it's a case of sleeping too much? Although I have to say I subscribe to don't wake a sleeping baby! Sorry can't be more help...

Shes not a great sleeper during the day. Has about 3 10 - 20 min naps at the most.

Maybe look at getting a cot divider so she doesn't have so much room to move around and she feels a little more snug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Have you tried putting the moses basket into the travel cot for a few nights to see if it makes the difference.. it could be going from a small space to a huge one has freaked her out a bit.. if that makes no difference it could be teething, you wouldn't notice it so much during the day but at night they've nothing to distract them.. a little calpol will rule out teething.. ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    Have you tried putting the moses basket into the travel cot for a few nights to see if it makes the difference.. it could be going from a small space to a huge one has freaked her out a bit.. if that makes no difference it could be teething, you wouldn't notice it so much during the day but at night they've nothing to distract them.. a little calpol will rule out teething.. ;)

Teething has crossed our minds alright. We have calpol in the house but afraid to give any until we know for sure it is. She drools a little and chews on her hands a lot but it really doesnt sound like a painful cry.

We use the Teetha granules - think Nelson make them? Find it calms our one down when she's fussing. If that doesn't stop her then we go to Calpol. Likes your little one, she never sounds in pain but something is definitely bothering her.

• Advertisement

I actually have the teetha granules too. They work as well as glycerine and aniseed does to calm her down - we call it the baby prozac :D

We tried an experiment last night and didnt give her the soother going to bed and just hushed her when she started the crying. She definitely woke up a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

It could be the fact she is moving from a little snugg moses basket to a big huge cot, also the mattress is new and will feel different to her so that also mught b causing the upset. I cant think of the name of them right now but you could try getting one of those inserts for the cot, it has a roll on either side of the baby so they dont roll over into the bars, but it could help her feel more snugg and secure.

mrsberries wrote: »
    I actually have the teetha granules too. They work as well as glycerine and aniseed does to calm her down - we call it the baby prozac :D

Ha! Yeah I know exactly what you mean, she gets really chilled out after a dose of teetha :):D

Well we got two nights of sleep with the no soother approach but we're now back to her waking up screaming. I reckon its the teeth. She wouldnt take her last feed last night which is extremely unusual and shes been a little whingier than normal when we are out - shes usually a street angel :D Dont want to be dosing her up with calpol unnecessarily so Ive got some teetha gum gel that apparently complements the teetha granules. Wish me luck tonight ;)

Our little fella has been waking up screaming recently too and it's definitely teething. It's very unlike him and usually if he wakes he just goes back to sleep after a while.

I just gave him calpol on those nights because he's obviously innpain. I'd give calpol in the afternoon, more before bed and again around 1am if he needed it. That's in extreme cases like this week, normally I'd just give him calgel. Teetha never really did anything for him unfortunately. My husband had some teeth taken out recently and was on painkillers. Even
    he said he couldn't imagine how he'd
    have coped with the pain without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Travel cot mattress are not comfortable. We always bring a cot mattress that fits into the travel cot when possible. Must be like sleeping on the floor for the child without. Ours definetly sleep better when with the mattress in the travel cot

Advertisement