Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Running,gear advice...

Options
  • 15-08-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

As i have never ran in winter before i am wondering what gear i need?

Hope to be a 10k runner 2/3 weekly at that point.
    For base layer what is recommended,i see so many types,Nike pro core etc..
    A breathable jacket is needed too i assume?
    Should i go out with a long sleeve base layer and jacket or t-shirt over the base layer then jacket........sorry to sound confusing but hopefully ye get my point!!

Thanks....

EDIT.posted in wrong section,could mods move to Gear & Equipment section please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Concentrate on keeping your core and extremities warm. It's up to yourself how you do that - long-sleeved shirt (doesn't have to be specifically a base layer, any wicking long-sleeve shirt will do), jacket, hat and gloves should do you for most weather. Running tights are good to have when it gets cold, but shorts should do you at least until October/November anyway. A jacket with removable sleeves is nice to have too. Just grab a Penneys hat and gloves, no point in spending the earth because you'll probably lose them quickly anyway.

Things get a bit more interesting if it gets as cold as it did last December - running at -9C through 18 inches of snow can be fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Let me be the first to say that the only gear you need for winter running are your mansuit and can of HTFU :D

(but seriously, you run -> you get warm. If it rains, you won't stay dry anyway. You could switch to a long-sleeved top or tights on really cold days, maybe a hat if it's snowing, but you don't need much)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hat and Gloves essentail really as i aint got any hair,the bit i had a mach 3 takes it off!!

Running through snow.....not for me though rain i don't mind.
    Reflective gear i need also,jacket for that i suppose..do have a high vis jacket for my bike,that might do?
    Not sure about the tights....would rather stick it out in the shorts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I ran in all weathers last winter.

I am a fan of long sleeves and tights but as Ray says - you warm up, you really don't need much more.

Don't forget it does go from 18 degrees to -1 overnight ( well hopefully it wont) It gradually gets colder and
    you can buy what you need when you realise that you need it.

Lots of lights and reflective gear for dark nights and off you go.

I wear running gloves, but need to take them off half way through the run.

A good hat which doesn;t get too sweaty is nice, but RK is right, don't spend too much money, they dont last.

Keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi for good value running gear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Running tights are good to have when it gets cold, but shorts should do you at least until October/November anyway.

Pffft I wore shorts all winter last year, it was great fun :pac::pac:
    Nah seriously you do warm up, I used gloves alright but just used a baseball cap as I found I'd overheat otherwise.
    Things get a bit more interesting if it gets as cold as it did last December - running at -9C through 18 inches of snow can be fun :pac:

May I suggest http://www.yaktrax.com/pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Cabaal wrote: »
    Will be ordering a pair of these myself before the winter, just as a precaution!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hatcho

I tend to heat up quite a bit when running so the most I wear would be a long sleeved wickable top, maybe a technical t-shirt over it and then just a light windproof jacket. Always better off with several light layers than a single heavy one.

Despite being quite folically challenged (egghead!) I dont wear a hat as I just overheat after a while. Might pop a light one on for the first few mins but it always ends up coming off so me head can cool down...

Tights are great in winter as they keep yer leg muscles nice n warm - makes for a more pleasant run (for me anyways). Not everyone likes the 'Men in Tights' look but ye can always throw a pair of loose short over 'em if needs be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Will be ordering a pair of these myself before the winter, just as a precaution!

They are great. Loved running in snow in them, last winter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've not yet got a pair, went to order them last year when I found out about them but they were all out of stock at the time anywhere I tried :(

Getting them early this year :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What's wrong with some screws and cheese graters?

I have now got a pair of Yaktrax but have yet to actually use them in anger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement