Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bjj questions

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't know plenty of my judo sessions have been nearly ghost towns, any time I've gone to BJJ it's jammers. Could just be the club though.

Lads I'm on a little stay-cation in Courtown and really can't get too involved in the forum until next Monday.

Doug, in Dublin at least its true to say that Judo is in the doldrums.

It's combination few things.

Judo is genuinely tough, and the learning curve is steep and as an older generation stops training Judo just isn't as sexy to younger generation whose introduction to martisl arts is the UFC (or 'cagefighting).

The style most closely associated with the UFC is BJJ.. So young lads are naturally drawn to it..

I'm on a mobile so it's really hard to follow the discussion too closel, sorry.

Bjj is fantastic, so too is judo.. They are very similar, the difference is in the application as they're scored very differently.. What WILL kill off judo in Europe is the new rules regarding leg grabs.

I nEurope judo is massive, and the UFC is still in it's infancy.. But as the UFC grows in Eutope, and the new rules make applying judo hard in an MMA context there will be less and less judo on display - hence Paul saying it's no longer as sexy as bjj.

Damn, this is hard with a hangover and typing into a phone.. Sorry if it's hard to read.

Did someone imply I'd just found Bjj?.. My first intro was with John Kavanagh when he'd his club in a small shed on the top of the North Circular Road, many years ago.. I think he was a blue belt then.

Speaking of whom, best quote I've heard re. Judo and bjj was from JK 'they are opposite sides of the same coin'..

I think it would benefit us all to train in both IMO.

BACK TO MY HOL's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Damn, this is hard with a hangover and typing into a phone.. Sorry if it's hard to read.
    No worries, you're just about legible. Just.

Enjoy the holiday. I'll try not to burn the place down while you're away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

People thinking BJJ = UFC proves my point people don't know what BJJ is, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

Can someone explain these new judo rules, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

peteclarke wrote: »

lots of the leg grab techniques have been taken out so wrestling aspects of it have been knocked out, im sure a judo person can explain better than me on this

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70080744

Try above link to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

At the risk of like I'm giving you a short answer, visit judoforum.com and try make them out yourself, if you can then fair play to ya.

They're so complicated and risky that most clubs now are just avoiding them.

They are IMO hugely detrimental to judo.

But Lukeyjudo or 'illegalheadbutt would be better qualified than me to break them down for the forum.

Speaking of which, the lads younger brother Adam is currently training full time with Team GB I believe - I think we should extend him the forum's best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

cowzerp wrote: »
    lots of the leg grab techniques have been taken out so wrestling aspects of it have been knocked out, im sure a judo person can explain better than me on this

Thats it really, i ranted on about this when the rules originally changed.

BJJ now in essence has more throws than judo.

Neither of them are "sexy" though lol

MMA is so hot right now.

Advertisement