Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graveyards in Donore area

Options
  • 15-08-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm doing some research into my family tree and its possible that i have some ancestors from the Dorore area. I have traced it back as far as the late 19th century so am wondering if there are many old graveyards around the area as well as the one thats being used now. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 diaduit73

There is four in the area.

Leck Cemetery - It's on the outskirts of Donore village, a few minutes walk down from the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre. It might be classed as being in a place called 'Roughgrange' but I could be wrong. The entrance is easy to miss. It has really old graves in it, there isn't many but the Slane Historical Society have details of the graves on their website.

I'm not sure if you can't post website links on boards so you can just use google and search for the Slane Historical Society and you'll get it. On their website click on 'Headstone Inscriptions' along the top and it's listed in there.

Then there is 'Knockcommon' cemetery, this one I'm sorry I have no idea how you get to it. I've never been to it. Once again the Slane Historical Society website has the grave details.

There is the new cemetery which is the one being used at the moment.

The fourth one is just what is known these days as the 'Old Cemetery'. It's in Tuberfinn on the outskirts of Donore. There used to be two roads but now I think there is only one. Coming from Drogheda after the second roundabout for the motorway, drive straight for less than five minutes and you take the first right turn off (if you go by the Mullachrone Roadstone quarry entrance on the left hand side you've gone past the turn off). There should be a sign for Tuberfinn. At the end of that road there is an gate entrance and a house but next to the house there is a long lane, the cemetery is at the far end of the lane.

Advertisement