Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fibre Rollout - people outside towns

Options
  • 15-08-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

what does the fibre rollout mean for the average customer that is based outside of the towns served... can we expect and form of upgrade to our existing connection...

1433571167.png

This is a typical result I get on my line on a daily basis.. line is supposed to be capped at 3mb which I'd accept but the speeds I get are just bordering on ridiculous...

is there anything at all that can be done for my line to increase my connection speed or when the fibre rollout is complete can I expect at least an increase in speed then...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    what does the fibre rollout mean for the average customer that is based outside of the towns served... can we expect and form of upgrade to our existing connection...

1433571167.png

This is a typical result I get on my line on a daily basis.. line is supposed to be capped at 3mb which I'd accept but the speeds I get are just bordering on ridiculous...

is there anything at all that can be done for my line to increase my connection speed or when the fibre rollout is complete can I expect at least an increase in speed then...

Nope. Upgrading every corner of Ireland would not be feasible without government grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

1433571167.png

Hi johnmcdnl,

As the fiber roll-out plan was just announced, we don't have information as yet as to which areas and to what degree will be improved by the fiber roll-out.

However if you PM your tel no: I can look to see if we can improve the speeds you have been getting.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Nope. Upgrading every corner of Ireland would not be feasible without government grant.

I'm not looking for super fast fibre connection - just a steday 2-3mb on my line at least so I can load a youtube video without having to switch to 240p and still having to wait someitimes... even a steady 1-1.5 even would double my current speed would be more than acceptable for me :) I know that a full national rollout is unfeasible but even a slight upgrade in speed would be nice
    Hi johnmcdnl,

As the fiber roll-out plan was just announced, we don't have information as yet as to which areas and to what degree will be improved by the fiber roll-out.

However if you PM your tel no: I can look to see if we can improve the speeds you have been getting.

Thanks, Mark

Cheers :) PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I'm not looking for super fast fibre connection - just a steday 2-3mb on my line at least so I can load a youtube video without having to switch to 240p and still having to wait someitimes... even a steady 1-1.5 even would double my current speed would be more than acceptable for me :) I know that a full national rollout is unfeasible but even a slight upgrade in speed would be nice

Cheers :) PM sent

I Got the PM thanks, I will check i t out and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Hi Mark,

I see that Sandyford Village is part of the pilot phase for Eircoms fibre upgrade. Does this mean that everyone on the Sandyford exchange will benefit from the upgrade and will be able to get 40mb+ speeds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Mark,

I see that Sandyford Village is part of the pilot phase for Eircoms fibre upgrade. Does this mean that everyone on the Sandyford exchange will benefit from the upgrade and will be able to get 40mb+ speeds?

Hi DoubleBogey
    The plan is for all customers on that exchange to be able to receive the higher speeds but am pretty sure not at same time.
    It would be necessary to provide fibre cable to localised cabinets, which would replace copper for fibre cable. The fibre optic cables are laid alongside the copper cables so that homes and businesses can choose the service they would like to avail of.
    Hope this answers your query.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Mark,

Hi Double Bogey
    It is my understanding that fibre will be delivered alongside regular /NGN Broadband in your area allow choice for the customer. You should go to this link if interested in Fibre option.
    Tony

Advertisement