Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fota Isaland Wildlife Park

Options
  • 15-08-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering what people thought of the place as i have been there a few times and i think its great that visitors can mingle freely with some of the animals like the lamas and the wallabies.
    My favourite part is the lemur area. its so cool they are so curious and come up to you along the fence and start sniffing at you. And they're so cute. Once i was there and i got a carrott from a feeding tray left on the roof of the rangers jeep and one of them came and tooking right from my hand. Where else can you get an experience lke this?
    They share the area with squirrell monkeys and its so entertaining to just watch them play and frolick around so freely. Its totally different to the zoo in dublin. they are by far the most interesting animals there.

The one downside to the park is the seal pond down at the bottom. It just looks so drab, neglected and depressing and the poor seal (only one) looks so sad and bored just going in circles around his muddy little pool. Poor little sealie.:( Its been a while so maybe has this changed at all.?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The seal pond has been refurbished, and they've built nets around it to expand the sea eagle enclosure. Much better now, both species seem happier in there. There's been a lot of other changes there too, including the addition of some very busy meerkats at a lovely new entrance, you should pay another visit. But please don't feed the animals, even with food intended for them; that's the keepers job and it's better left that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

A somewhat 'hidden' gem in Fota is the gardens and arboretum. Loads of space for kids to run around and hide, etc. And best of all, they're free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

thats good, i will try to get back there before the summer is over i'll be looking forward to seeing the meerkats and the improved seal pond.

Iv'e been to the arboretum and the Fota house before and i thought it was very goo. They really need better advertising on it though as the two attractions could complement eachother much better than at present. When i was at the house i think only the ground floor was open but i think the top floor has been refurbished with a year or so so thats another reason to visit fota again.
    thats another day for the diary.!!

Yeah, I must pop into Fota House again myself some time, it's been a while.

Fota have started adding new signage too btw, which is long overdue.

Yeah, I must pop into Fota House again myself some time, it's been a while.

Fota have started adding new signage too btw, which is long overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

What really bugs me about Fota is the meaness of the management. The 2 Euro coin you have to put in the barrier to get out.

It is an absolute disgrace, considering that the vast majority of the visitors arrive in cars.

Now wait for it, please do not come out with the, but the house and gardens are free, line so people should at least pay for parking.

What gets to me is, you purchase a season ticket, i cannot recall how much they are, but are expensive, mind you normal admission is also expensive as well. Then you still have to pay for parking.

It is technically possible for readers to be installed at the exit barriers so that season tickets can be swiped, therefore providing regular visitors with appropriate parking arrangements.

Now before anyone says technically it is not possible, it is, I install these types of barriers and also swipe cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

kub wrote: »
    What really bugs me about Fota is the meaness of the management. The 2 Euro coin you have to put in the barrier to get out.

It is an absolute disgrace, considering that the vast majority of the visitors arrive in cars.

Now wait for it, please do not come out with the, but the house and gardens are free, line so people should at least pay for parking.

What gets to me is, you purchase a season ticket, i cannot recall how much they are, but are expensive, mind you normal admission is also expensive as well. Then you still have to pay for parking.

It is technically possible for readers to be installed at the exit barriers so that season tickets can be swiped, therefore providing regular visitors with appropriate parking arrangements.

Now before anyone says technically it is not possible, it is, I install these types of barriers and also swipe cards.

When was the last time you were there, its 3 euros now for parking and has been for a while!!!

Weel me and girlfriend went there yesterday and the new meerkat and gibbon enclosure is fantastic, and the new entrance buildings are great - its a totally different place from what it was. The meerkats are really funny, i could watch them for ages. They have done it dublin zoo style with glazed viewing areas and then the rest of the enclosure is obscured from view by dense plants and bamboo fencing.
    The seal pond was an improvement but its still a little small for two seals i think. It could have been better. They now share the enclosure with the eagles who fly about overhead them.
    They penguin section is revamped too and is good.
    The main problem now i see is the quality of the water, its fecking filthy. Some places you can see ducks swimming around in a few inches of snot coloured scum. That needs seeing to.
    The swampy area behind the seal looks a little forlorn still but they have improved the walkway. I think the kangaroos hang around there and are free to roam.
    Does anyone know where the llamas are? they are normally roaming on the roadway of the upper "plains" section but i could not see them yesterday.

The red pandas are cute, just like a cuddly teddy.

What they really need next is some asian short clawed otters. They are so funny and cute and playful. They squeak and run around together and then pause for a min and go off again. really funny.

As for you kub. have you considered the cost of food, staff, vets, drugs, security, maintenance and insurance in your ranting? All these must be paid for during the off season too when there is little income. As such i think the price is fairly reasonable.

I have a conservation membership and I have no objection to paying for parking. I get incredible value out of the membership, we take a lovely walk around the park at least once a month, and around Dublin Zoo at least once a quarter to boot.

I consider the €3 parking a donation. I'd consider not wanting to pay it "mean".

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

If you're that desperate to hold onto your E3 then why dont you ask the lovely people working at the park if it is possible for them to give you a token for the barrier as you are a season ticket holder.

• Advertisement

Im from Meath and was visiting Cork for the first time last week, myself Hubby and son agreed that it was the highlight of our holiday, what a gorgeous place!

It has to be said that there isnt a lot of advertisment about it over this side of the country, it really is a gem and we definately want to go back, its a wonderful experience being up close to those animals, in my opinion its a far more interesting than Dublin zoo

If you're that desperate to hold onto your E3 then why dont you ask the lovely people working at the park if it is possible for them to give you a token for the barrier as you are a season ticket holder.

good idea. we were there once a while back and herself had to go to the ticket office on the way out to get change of a fiver for the barrier and they just gave us a token for it. We didn't have a seasson ticket so i'm sure they would oblige for someone who has. Try it sure.

Another option is to go late, they usually open the barriers. You'd need to be a realy stingebag to do that on purpose though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

my yearly pass was €110 for myself/wife and 2yr old, best money ever spent. car broke down last year in car park, the could not do enough for me, gave phone to call someone if needed, got the Jeep over to help start my own and gave me a few tokens for barriers incase i needed to get a mechanic in to see that car.
    Fantastic place even to just go for a walk on a nice day. and well done to all there for making is a success

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

scuby wrote: »
    my yearly pass was €110 for myself/wife and 2yr old, best money ever spent.

Just to be pedantic: the €110 pass (Park membership IIRC) does NOT cover 2 adults if there are any kids, only 2 adults alone or 1 adult + kids. Your 2 yr old just goes free anyway because he's under 3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not expensive at all in my opinion. We got great value with a year long pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I love fota. Have membership and go at least once a month. Don't mind paying for car park because of upkeep etc. One thing I don't think is right is charging a euro for the maps. Now its only a euro but realistically you are paying a fair bit for entry and I think the map should be included, like it is in most touristy places.
    Obviously I dont get a map I know the place like the back of my hand now, but for newbies to fota.

Advertisement