Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about selling house

Options
  • 15-08-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

My grandparents wish to sell their house.

I would like to buy it from them as I would like to live there in the future.

What would the implications be of me buying the house as in what taxes would have to be paid by my grandparents and what would I have to do?

Could they just transfer the deeds into my name after I pay them the cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

INEEDANID wrote: »
    My grandparents wish to sell their house.

I would like to buy it from them as I would like to live there in the future.

What would the implications be of me buying the house as in what taxes would have to be paid by my grandparents and what would I have to do?

Could they just transfer the deeds into my name after I pay them the cash?

Just go to a solicitor.
    You're going to need one anyway to transfer the deeds and they'll set the whole thing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Yes i'll do that was just trying to get idea of what would happen.

Just curious about the percentage of tax my grandparents would have to pay on the selling price, plus would they be able to set the selling price for whatever they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Your grandparents wouldn't pay anything on the disposal of their house, provided it has been their Principal Private Residence from the time they originally purchased it.

If they are selling the property to you for below market value, you should also know that stamp duty is assessed on the market value of the property and not the purchase price. It might be an idea to get a valuer in to assess the value of the property prior to the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Just go to a solicitor.
    You're going to need one anyway to transfer the deeds and they'll set the whole thing up.
    A solicitor is unlikely to give advice on personal taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Yes i'll do that was just trying to get idea of what would happen.

Just curious about the percentage of tax my grandparents would have to pay on the selling price, plus would they be able to set the selling price for whatever they wanted.

If it has been their own home since they bought it, they don't have to pay any tax.

• Advertisement

If I were to inherit the property I would have to pay about 25% tax from my understanding but if I bought the house I would only have to pay the stamp duty. Is that correct?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If I were to inherit the property I would have to pay about 25% tax from my understanding but if I bought the house I would only have to pay the stamp duty. Is that correct?
    Well, Stamp Duty and the market value of the house.

Dades wrote: »
    Well, Stamp Duty and the market value of the house.

Yes that's what I meant Stamp duty and the Market Value.

The stamp duty would be far less than I would have the pay the Government if I inherited the house though.

Stamp duty seems to be at 1% for residential properties less than €1,000,000 where as inheritance tax would be at 25% of value.

I would prefer to pay my grandparents for the house anyway and pay the Government the stamp duty rather than pay the 25% inheritance tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

I would prefer to pay my grandparents for the house anyway and pay the Government the stamp duty rather than pay the 25% inheritance tax.

Think u are mixing up your taxes. You will pay stamp duty on the transfer at 1% if you purchase or inherit it (at the market value at date of transfer).

CAT is 25%. CAT is only due on gifts or inheritances, in this case if you pay less than the market value or if you inherit the property (in which case you will pay nothing) the value minus what you pay is liable to CAT. However you have an allowance that you can offset against the gain prior to calculating CAT see www.revenue.ie for details.

In other words op you pay stamp duty either way and CAT depends on structure of transfer.

Advertisement