Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hillwalking website

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

Hi All,

I have added a graph which shows the elevation of trails as in the below example.

http://walkingroutes.ie/1141-Aughavanagh-Lug-Corrigslegaun-Glenmalure-(Xmas-hike).html

However as its a new feature a lot of trails wont have elevation data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have just seen this now, well done on what looks like a great resource.

Couple of small things to point out:
    • On the individual trails, you have links for photo's and comment's. Neither of these require apostrophes.
    • You have a trail there called Three rock, but it's actually Kilmashogue
    Apart from those, top notch!!

I have just seen this now, well done on what looks like a great resource.

Couple of small things to point out:
    • On the individual trails, you have links for photo's and comment's. Neither of these require apostrophes.
    • You have a trail there called Three rock, but it's actually Kilmashogue
    Apart from those, top notch!!

Thanks Cambo,

Very happy to hear you like the site.

I have removed the apostrophes. Just on your second point, trails are submitted by members/public so its hard to administer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have added a graph which shows the elevation of trails as in the below example.

http://walkingroutes.ie/1141-Aughavanagh-Lug-Corrigslegaun-Glenmalure-(Xmas-hike).html
    That route looks suspiciously like one in my own archive of walks, right down to the name ("Xmas hike" was the giveaway!). Did I upload it here, or somewhere else, once?

Alun wrote: »
    That route looks suspiciously like one in my own archive of walks, right down to the name ("Xmas hike" was the giveaway!). Did I upload it here, or somewhere else, once?

Hi Alun, I was using randon GPX files for testing the new elevation and GPX upload functionality but I honestly can't remember where I got the file from.

Happy to take it down if you wish.

• Advertisement

Hi Alun, I was using randon GPX files for testing the new elevation and GPX upload functionality but I honestly can't remember where I got the file from.

Happy to take it down if you wish.
    No, no problem, I just can't remember ever uploading it anywhere, that's all.

No, no problem, I just can't remember ever uploading it anywhere, that's all.

I probably just did a Google search, sorry I cant be more specific.

Nice looking walk by the way. I'd imagine its tough going.

By the way, if I click on "Download GPX file" for that walk, I get a zero length file.

By the way, if I click on "Download GPX file" for that walk, I get a zero length file.

Yea thats was a test trail alright. This issue only effects a few trails I was testing with. I'm actually going to remove it for that reason. Feel free to re-upload if you want.

Article in Silicon Republic about WalkingRoutes.ie

http://siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/item/26054-hillwalking-website-puts/

• Advertisement

New "Trails Near Here" tabs lists all trails within 20km.

http://walkingroutes.ie/1168-Sugarloaf-(Direct).html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It's a great site and the number of trails are growing too. I'm a regular lurker and contributor.

Would it be possible to enhance the search trails facility by adding "search by user/contributor" and/or to sort and list all trails alphabetically/by length/difficulty etc?

Currently (as far as I can see) you can only search for trails by county.

dogmatix wrote: »
    It's a great site and the number of trails are growing too. I'm a regular lurker and contributor.

Would it be possible to enhance the search trails facility by adding "search by user/contributor" and/or to sort and list all trails alphabetically/by length/difficulty etc?

Currently (as far as I can see) you can only search for trails by county.

Hi Dogmatrix, glad to hear you like the site. You know stupid as this sounds, your suggestion never occurred to me.

I'll add this over the week. Updates to follow.

Hello all,

I have create a little tool that generates code so that you can display county trails on your own website.

Obviously this really only appeals to folks with their own websites but I thought I'd share it just in case.

http://www.walkingroutes.ie/getwidget.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Excellent site. I especially like your Lough Coolin map. It passes my house :)

Hello,

WalkingRoutes.ie has been getting a lot of emails from tourists and local walking groups asking questions specific to localities which I can't answer. I know a lot of the boards.ie members have great knowledge in hillwalking and I'm hoping you might consider helping.

I've started a facebook page which I'm hoping may become an easy way for people to ask these questions and get answers.

All I need is folks is to like http://facebook.com/WalkingRoutes and if you see a question you know the answer to maybe you can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Kudos on the website OP :)

I'm afraid I'm not much of a Facebook fan, personaly, and only have a nonsense-name account there :o to read material rather than post/like. I had a look at a few entries on the main website and didn't manage to find any comments yet, but will answer any questions to which I know the answers there if I find any in the future.

(By the way, all the links on the Facebook page for walkingroutes.ie go to the Facebook page itself rather than the main website, with the exception of the full-URL link under "Contact Info" from the 'About" link (which is rather small). I've noticed this about a lot of Facebook pages - maybe it's something to do with Mr Z's preferences :rolleyes:. But good work adding FB as an extra forum anyway.)

Advertisement