Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting for [not] charity at Eurospar

Options
  • 15-08-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

People at the supermarket masquerading as charity 'helping' with your bags:

I am happy enough to throw a few spare coins in the bucket for the irish wheelchair association or whatever but Martial Arts Clubs and Residents' Associations begging for money at a supermarket till?

I need a new monocle and I broke my favourite brandy snifter last week - can I do a collection too?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't see the problem for sports and activites so long as it's not for personal gain. If sports clubs don't raise money then we'll just end up with a load of fat kids. I agree with you on the residents associations, I don't see why parents can't come together and pay for stuff. If I wanted to pay for kids parties I'd have my own.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

I'm very wary of collectors who come to the door in a high-vis vest. A guy from red cross called one day - total stanger at my door looking for money. I have serious doubts about where it goes and who the people who call are..another one is the hanly centre? I get a visit from them every year and they have a guy outside the post office a lot. how much of the money actually goes to the charity?..another funny one I get every year is kids from an irish ethnic minority at the door with a sponsorship card for the carers association 10km...an adult event. They have a pencil and you can see where they are using the card over and over again and rubbing out previous donations!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mick kk wrote: »
    I'm very wary of collectors who come to the door in a high-vis vest. A guy from red cross called one day - total stanger at my door looking for money. I have serious doubts about where it goes and who the people who call are..another one is the hanly centre? I get a visit from them every year and they have a guy outside the post office a lot. how much of the money actually goes to the charity?..another funny one I get every year is kids from an irish ethnic minority at the door with a sponsorship card for the carers association 10km...an adult event. They have a pencil and you can see where they are using the card over and over again and rubbing out previous donations!

I think we all know a certain someone making a career from charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

fabbydabby wrote: »
    People at the supermarket masquerading as charity 'helping' with your bags:

I am happy enough to throw a few spare coins in the bucket for the irish wheelchair association or whatever but Martial Arts Clubs and Residents' Associations begging for money at a supermarket till?

I need a new monocle and I broke my favourite brandy snifter last week - can I do a collection too?

For alot of charities, running collections at tills is their only income & is extremely welcome. The majority of supermarkets are quite stringent about whom they let collect. I guess if you aren't a fan of the particular charity, or any, don't donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I think we all know a certain someone making a career from charity.

Does this certain someone wear blue suede shoes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

For alot of charities, running collections at tills is their only income & is extremely welcome. The majority of supermarkets are quite stringent about whom they let collect. I guess if you aren't a fan of the particular charity, or any, don't donate.

Why the hell don't I just pop down to Eurospar and bum spare change off people when I need a new wetsuit if that's the case?

And I DO need a new wetsuit.

A martial arts club is NOT a charity.

ft9 wrote: »
    Does this certain someone wear blue suede shoes?

Suspicious mind

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

These drive me INSANE!! I can pack my own bloody shopping thanks and not be guilt tripped into giving a euro or two for some club that I've nothing to do with. Superquinn don't seem to allow them, often have their own staff to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

This might interest you Fabby.

On TV3 now.

there were a few of these around town today. One guy at the carpark pay station at Dunnes. I remember a few years ago in eurospar car park....a group were going around beggin for a few mins around the car park. Then they hopped into a bmw with a romanian registration and fecked off. v. funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I am involved with a registered charity here in Kilkenny and we also have found it difficult to collect over recent years as people are very wary of who is genuine and who isnt. The particular charity I am involved in will always seek garda permit to collect which as far as I am aware is a must. Also anybody calling to your door collecting money or selling tickets should have a garda permit which you are entitiled to see. There are many worthwhile causes who as previous poster has said need the income to survive but I also agree that some people are in it for personal gain.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Bag-Packing on behalf of 'The Old Boys' club hmmmm

old-boys-club.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The bag collecting does my head in, there are so many different ways to raise money, look at deen celtic in comer they run a cash draw where 15 euro(could be twenty now) gives you a chance a week for that many weeks to win

did anyone here notice the irish cancer trust {not irish cancer society] collecting in kieran st today...the lady was pushy.....flouresent vest and hooped earrings....alarm bells rang for me I have to say. I can't find a website for irish cancer trust. I have a feelling that most of what went into her white bucket might not be reaching cancer patients or going towards cancer research. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

mick kk wrote: »
    did anyone here notice the irish cancer trust {not irish cancer society] collecting in kieran st today...the lady was pushy.....flouresent vest and hooped earrings....alarm bells rang for me I have to say. I can't find a website for irish cancer trust. I have a feelling that most of what went into her white bucket might not be reaching cancer patients or going towards cancer research. Any thoughts?

Hmmm, yes, intersting. There were 2 lads collecting at the lights near McDonagh Junction that evening (Friday) circa 5.15 pm as I was passing through. Wearing blue bibs and there was a reference to "Cancer" on them alright and possible "Luke's". I was a bit pee'd off as I put money in the bucket and not a word of thanks from the collector :mad:

I did start wondering whether or nor they were legit as I moved on. Surely one needs a permit for this kind of collecting? Or is it even legal to do this at all, what with road safety and all that goes with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Just don't donate. I'll pack my own bags and never give to collectors on the street. When I want to donate to a charity, I look up their website and do it that way, and will only give to a charity I'm sure is reputable and I've done my research on. Might make me scabby, but if I'm going to part with my hard earned cash, I make sure it's for something worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

From reading the comments there seems to be a lot of devious behaviour in relation to the Charity collections.

I wouldn't disagree with sports clubs collecting since grants can be very difficult to obtain; depending on the sport.

I would disagree with sports clubs collecting. Strongly.

Why should I subsidise someone else's hobby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I would disagree with sports clubs collecting. Strongly.

Why should I subsidise someone else's hobby?

You don't HAVE to give them anything, would imagine you would be strong willed enough to not give them any money, so whats the big deal.

I am yeah.

My problem is that there are plenty of legit charities who need money to help people sleeping rough and starving and these are the ones who should be allowed collect.

Allowing normal people to scrounge everyone's spare change so that they can buy themselves a new karate suit or pair of shinguards is a load of balls. It's not charity but they set themselves up to look like one.

But yeah, whatever. I feel I have made my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

I'd rather give 2 euro here and there if it will keep an independent club afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 eadire

Ok, I just want to say, as I am part of one of those clubs, these clubs are what keep children off the streets, it gives kids an interest be in football, hurling, soccer, scouts, rowing, etc..
    So why not donate to them, instead of give money to some people who sleep rough and are actually, drinking the money, (not trying to offend anyone, or accusing everyone sleeping rough of this just some) these clubs that ye are give out about so much are what helps children grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Well said eadire. Without the likes of the collections at checkouts, a lot of clubs would fold. So many parents just dump there kids with a sports team (most see it as a free babysitting) and contribute nothing after that, these type of collections are the lifeblood for most clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You're dead right, those good for nothing poor people, earthquake victims and stupid cancer sufferers have been freeloading off us for ages.

We should give money where it's REALLY needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 eadire

Sorry if I was misunderstood but I was not stating that we should not donate to charitys but people were giving out about clubs fundraising and I was only saying that they need to fundraise or they would close

Advertisement