Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant cat..should i make her a nest?

• 15-08-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Took in a stray cat who now turns out to be pregnant but Im wondering should I build her the nest where she will have the kittens or is it something she will suss out herself? he has the run of the house where I also have a dog, neutered tom cat and kitten all strays which we took in over the past couple of years and they all get on well. Really want to do whats best for her and would prefer her to have kittens in house rather than the cold outside. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If she is near having them I would keep her confined to one room and leave a cardboard box with towels in it. You could try a few different types to give her some options as to what she prefers (open box or a more closed in one so she has more privacy). Keep the other cats and dog out of the room as they will probably stress her out. Chances are she'l pick her own place to have them but unless you want that place to be your bed or a pile of your clothes I would keep her confined to one room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I also took in a stray cat who was pregnant in March (all her kittens died unfortunately :o) but i made her a "nest" area in the spare bedroom a week or so before she had them. I made 2 actually, one that was covered over and one with no roof...she chose the open one. She may find her own spot though if she doesnt feel secure so be prepared for kittens under your bed/in wardrobe if she doesnt like what you provide. You should see a sac bulge protruding shortly before having her kittens, but dont panic (like i did:D) cats as i found out have relatively uncomplicated births and she should need to help from you whatsoever. If shes a stray be prepared for them not to thrive though, like mine, as strays can be riddled with various viruses that mean they might succumb to Kitten Fading Syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Thanks guys! There are two rooms she goes into so wil up a nest area in each.Knowing my luck she'll probably plop them out in the wardrobe so i must start closing that from now on!

Advertisement