Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (old) CRT and input options.

Options
  • 15-08-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

My mum finally upgraded to an LCD TV so I happily took her 30 inch CRT off her hands. I have a collection of consoles stored in her gaff as I was never too pushed about playing them on an LCD, especially since I mostly played on emulators anyways. But with the acquisition of this TV (I'd been waiting a long time for her to finally upgrade!) it is time to crack them out I reckons, starting with the SNES.

The problem I'm facing now is that I'm not sure what type of connector to use. Or, more accurately, I'm not sure what type of inputs the TV has. It's pretty old. Like, at least 15 years old. It's 4:3, proper CRT, no flat screen on this thing. On the back are 2 Scart connections, and obviously I'd prefer to use RGB Scart if it was an option. Thing is, I dunno if AV1 is RGB compatible. I've scoured t'internet for info on the TV but I've come back with nowt (it's a Mitsubishi C28S7L in case anybody has one and can enlighten me... :p). The second Scart connection is labelled as AV2/S which I presume is telling me that it's S-Video compatible.

So I have a couple of questions. Question the first: How likely is it that this TV is RGB compatible given its age?

Question the second: Do you reckon AV2/S is indicating an S-Video connection? If so, just how much of a difference is there between AV/S-Video/RGB? I know RGB is far superior, but on a scale of 1-10, 1 being AV and 10 being RGB, where would S-Video lie?

Thanks. End transmission.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, my Sony is at least 13 years old and has RGB, we have some nasty CRTs in the shed at work and they have RGB, so you never know.
    If it's a thing you definitely want to use then get a cable for one of your consoles and give it a lash!
    And as for the second, there are minds (who think they are) immeasurably superior and will soon chime in on the RF/Composite/S-Video/RGB matter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Based on my messing around with various tellys , my gut feeling is that scart 1 is probably going to be RGB compatible.
    RGB stuff is going to look better , but to be honest I've never been that pushed to getting rgb cables for everything .personally as long as you avoid RF cables if you can it'll look decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yah. This post has totally convinced me that if I can use RGB Scart, I will.

Thanks for you replies already. I really hope that AV1 is RGB compatible, but I guess that I won't know until I actually try it. I suppose it's only around a tenner for one of the cables from ebay...

Advertisement