Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem & splitter for Chorus cable

Options
  • 15-08-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭

I have chorus/ntl television & broadband. There are two feeds in the house, I am paying for both. I only have one of their modems, this is hooked up to my wireless, and works fine.

I'd like to get another modem to hook up my TV & other equipment. Currently the cable at the TV goes straight into the chorus DVR. As far as I can make out, all I need is a "splitter" (I think that is what it's called) so I can send the signal to the DVR and to a modem. I also need a modem that takes a coax input. Can anyone recommend such a modem, or advise where I might pick one up?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I you want two modems, you'll need to pay for two packages. Besides you can't add your own modem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Spear wrote: »
    I you want two modems, you'll need to pay for two packages. Besides you can't add your own modem anyway.

I dont think you are right, the same spec is on both feeds, both have phone/bb/tv signal. I just need to get my hands on a second modem and it will work, and I can do it myself no prob.

Now that I think of it, there is a much simple way around this. I just need a wireless repeater, the wirelss network signal at the telly is pretty strong so should work a treat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I just need to get my hands on a second modem and it will work, and I can do it myself no prob.

But that part can't be done legally.

Ah, I see where you are coming from, thanks for the feedback!

I wonder if you can help on the wireless repeater? I am looking on Amazon for one, but the ones I have seen dont seem to have "ethernet out", i.e. I want to be able to connect my bits & pieces to the repeater by ethernet. Am I making sense? Maybe I just need to keep searching until I see a description that removes all doubt. Most of them seem to only have one ethernet port, and that is for configuring the box.

Scrap that, I think I have found the one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7228APN-150mbps-Extender-5-Port/dp/B004JV42A0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1313417364&sr=8-7

that look ok?

ps - I know I am taking liberties with regard to your time!!

• Advertisement

Scrap that, I think I have found the one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7228APN-150mbps-Extender-5-Port/dp/B004JV42A0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1313417364&sr=8-7

that look ok?

ps - I know I am taking liberties with regard to your time!!

So the intent is to connect bits by ethernet to the range extender, and it'll wirelessly connect back to the cable modem? If so it should be okay for that.

That's exactly it. Downstairs has good visibility of the existing wireless network. I basically want the effect of having a second modem downstairs that I can plug bits & pieces into, because these bits and pieces are not wirelss enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can get a pair of "HomePlugs"

You plug one into the wall near your UPC router and connect the ethernet cable into that and plug the other end into the wall near where you want your wired ethernet devices and connect the ethernet cable.

devolo-homeplug-av-adapter-252x300.jpg

You can use a simple switch/router there to connect up multiple devices.

UPC provide their own modems and they're assigned a unique ID on the network. You can probably move your UPC modem to the other point in your own house, just make sure you use the splitter. However, you can't add a second modem, unless you want to subscribe to a second broadband account from UPC.

Also, Chorus/NTL is long gone. It's UPC.

Thanks for that. I went for the one posted above. Thosethings can be quite expensive, and you still need the router or switch for the other end. The repeater means I have a better wireless signal downstairs plus the access point for wired stuff so I am happy with that.

Advertisement