Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make up help, need advice please! Total novice...

• 15-08-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

I'm 18 and I nave basically never worn make up.
    Reading through the forum here is a little confusing because I don't know a lot about brush sizes or tones. (....actually I know nothing about them..)

I own concealer, and have some eyeliner but that's really it....

Help? I want to start wearing make up....college and stuff next year...
    I don't want to buy cheap stuff that won't last.

Im really pale, and don't want to look Orange or caked in makeup....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If you don't want to buy cheap stuff then go to a make-up counter and the sales women will help you. I love love Benefit make-up. Pick up a catalogue at a counter, have a look through it and go back with some ideas in mind.

I'm also pale and I don't wear too much make-up. Depending on your skin tone you may not need foundation. On work days I just put on a layer of Benefit powder.

I suggest going to a make-up counter for good things, such as foundations, powders, blushers and brushes. You can get make-up lessons at the counters too if you buy 2 or more items usually,

Some things I don't mind buying cheap, like Rimmel or Barry M. Try getting a eye shadow palette and a few lip glosses to start you out from your chemist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'd second that. Worth spending money on good foundation and powder.
    For eyeshadow, if you got a rimmel/revlon etc palette with neutral tones it might be good to start out with. They usually tell you where to apply each colour (on the lid, in the crease etc).
    If you're near Inglot, they have really good quality shadows which are quite reasonable. 15 for two colours, 25 for four colours and you can get larger palettes but I don't remember the prices. You choose the colours for each palette yourself.
    This video might be useful....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iherNiZUv5M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Hey, You don't need to spend tons on makeup to get good quality stuff.

I know one of the other posters recommended Benefit but its serioulsy pricey for students and personally Im not that mad on it.

Bourgeois do good pale foundations - a lot of people recommend the healthy mix foundation. They have a new bronzer out as well - get a pale shade for contouring - just sweep some of it across the top of your forhead, down and across the middle of your cheek, down under your jaw for some shading and then down your neck - basically do the number "3" on the outside of your face and you'll get an idea. The little shadow pots have been reformulated and are getting very good reviews. If you get a nice champagne colour to brighten your eyes and a darker colour to define the crease you can't go wrong. They sometimes have this brand on 3for2 in Boots so keep your eyes open.

The Sleek eyeshadow palettes are really good - you get a good few colours and theres an Irish site which sells them for €11 including delivery - I got the Oh So Special one recently and it has a nice mix of neutrals and more dramatic shades for nighttime.

Boots also do brushes called "Eco Tools" which are quite cheap and good quality. Some of the No 7 eye brushes are not bad at all either - when they are doing the €7.50 vouchers its a good time to stock up. The No 7 blushers are quite nice as well - choose a shade that looks like you when you blush.

I also use the no 7 eyebrow pencil to define my eyebrows - it makes a massive difference to your face especially if you have blondeish hair. I also set them with an Essence clear mascara which only costs a couple of euros.

The Catrice and Essence stands in Penneys and Dunnes are quite good for trying out new colours etc.

Check out beauty blogs and youtube for tutorials and watch what your friends do.

It just takes a bit of practice and knowing what suits you.

After a while you'll have the confidence to try different things like liquid eyeliner and false lashes.

I have a google reader account and just add any blogs I find interesting and just read them every day - way more informative than beauty magazines - I've learned loads.

Hope this helps.:)

ams wrote: »

The Sleek eyeshadow palettes are really good - you get a good few colours and theres an Irish site which sells them for €11 including delivery - I got the Oh So Special one recently and it has a nice mix of neutrals and more dramatic shades for nighttime.

Where did you buy your sleek palette? Would love to try this out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

www.beautyemporium.ie Think the delivery is a flat €2 and it arrived in the post next day. I had some problems using my laser card as it was looking for a security code or something so paid with paypal - I think the customer care are pretty good though if you contact them and they can talk you through it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

kate.m wrote: »
    Reading through the forum here is a little confusing because I don't know a lot about brush sizes or tones. (....actually I know nothing about them..)

OK so you are really pale, you more than likely are a cool skin tone then. (If you burn easily, have blue veins on your wrist and red undertones throughout the skin).

What skin type are you? Dry (flaky, skin feels tight and needs good bit of moisture) or oily (tends to look shiny, feel oily, needs little to no moisture) or combination (a bit of both).

Cheap stuff being of bad quality/lasts less time is a myth. Most foundations come in 30ml bottles, my MAC is 30ml and cost 35 euro. My Rimmell is 30ml and cost €7, now the only thing I would say is you said you are "very pale". Pharmacy brands (Boots/Superdrug) don't have a great shade range in comparison to upscale brands, especially for pale skin.

Honestly being very pale, it will be hard to look orange as long as you use your head. Even though you have never worn make-up you can go into a shop and test the lightest foundations on the back of your hand/wrist and see if they match you. It's not as difficult as you may think, bring a friend who knows more if you feel the need or if you can't just try and ask the person working. Now be careful if you ask anyone in Brown Thomas or Debenhams as they work for commission and will most likely try and get the sale rather than see what's best for you.

As for concealers, a REALLY good and cheap AND light one is Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer. It's 7 quid in Superdrug and come in a very light shade, it covers my dark circles, pimples and redness perfectly.

Here's an Irish make-up vlogger, she's very good, has quite pale skin and she has bought some foundation that might appeal to you in her video down below(skip to 9.32). The information and pricing for each item is in the info box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

kate.m wrote: »

I would definitely look at some youtube videos about applying makeup they'll really help you out. These would be some of my favourites:

dazzledust25 - bonus is that she's Irish so makes recommendations for products we can get here

AllThatGlitters21 - good tutorials

DiamondsAndHeels14

dermTVdotcom - American dermatologist great for advice about skincare

lisaeldridgedotcom - she's brilliant <3

Those are just a few and I'm sure you'll find others that would be along the same lines as the style you're hoping to go for. I've learnt a lot from youtube and if you key in basically any product name you'll see girls doing a review of them taking about the positives and negatives. I find this great when I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a product especially if it's an expensive one to find out that it's just a gimmick.

I'm 20 so I've still a lot to learn and try out but a few months ago I wanted to try out different shades of lipstick but didn't want to spend a load of money so I just went to the Natural Collection stand in Boots which is seriously affordable. I bought about 6 lipsticks at about 3 euro each. They turned out great as I ended up loving 3 of them and found a colour that really suits me really well and have now purchased more expensive lipstick in exactly the same shad as one of those :D

If you're going to invest I would go and get some help at a decent counter but they can be pushy so just go with an idea of what you're going to buy and don't let them sell you the whole place. If you're going to buy expensive foundation allow them to apply a bit and bring a compact mirror with you and walk outside the shop and make sure you're not orange in a few types of light because what can appear fine in a department store lighting situation is not the same as the real world.

Good luck, have fun & hope you learn some stuff from those youtubers :)

I would also add letzmakeup to your youtubing list! She's a galway girl, does great tutorials with kinda stage makeup and natural looks as well. Also she has good recommendations for higher end and more affordable products.

Generally I'd agree that you don't need to spend a huge amount but I have found that the colour payoff with shadows and blushers tends to be better with the higher end brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

You'll have to decide what you think you need first before buying anything. You might need foundation but not concealer etc. Think about what features you want to accencuate and which you want to hide. Also, good make up doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Foundation - To even skin tone and creae the perfect canvas for the rest of your make up. I use Revlon Colourstay foundation in Ivory (palest shade) which is around 17e and it's paler than MAC's lightest foundation shades (which cost around 31e). It's a really long wearing foundation so perfect for busy college days.

Concealer - A girl's best friend after a night on the tiles or at that time of the month when your skin goes a bit mental. ;). A great concealer is the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection one which is probably about 6-7e, it comes in nice pale shades as well and is pigmented enough to work on both dark circles and blemishes (2 in 1 product :)).

Powder - Good for touch ups throughout the day or simply to set your make up and reduce shine (if you have an oily/combination skin type). Collection 2000 do an incredibly pale one which I've heard good things about.

Blush - Makes you look glowing and healthy and a little more put together. :) I don't recommend choosing a shade which is the same as the colour your skin turns when you naturally blush as this usually isn't the most flattering.....I dunno, I just look red when I blush/get embarrassed, not a good look!! If you're light skinned I'd go for a nice pale pink shade to start off with, you can always start building your collection and experimenting with other shades later on. The Boots Natural Collection blushes are really nice and only cost about 3 or 4e! I'd recommend the shade Pink Cloud.

Bronzer/Contour - I don't really think this is an essential and is best left to when you're a bit more experienced with make up, so many people do it badly (ie too much!!). I use MAC's Quarry eyeshadow to contour my face, works really well on my fair skin, most bronzers/contour powders are quite orange. NYC's Sunny Bronzer is very popular but too ornage for me personally.

Highlighter - Again not something I'd worry too much about if you're just getting used to wearing the basics of make up. Collection 2000 make lovely ones that are inexpensive and always remember that make up products are multipurpose, you can always use a shimmery pale eyeshadow as a highlight, so no need to buy a new prodct if you have one you already love.
    Mascara - Essence Multi-Action mascara is amazing and is under 3e. :)

Eyeliner - Start off with a black or brown, they're the easiest to wear at first. Prestige make lovely creamy eyeliners that smudge easily if you wanted to go for a smokey look. I'm not sure how much they are but probably only about 6e.

Eyeshadow - I'd go for a palette so you can discover what kind of shades you like to wear and what suits you. You can order cheap eyeshadow palettes like the 88 palettes or 28 neutral palettes off ebay very cheaply, I got one for 12e including shipping. They come in a variety of finishes and textures so you can choose shimmer or matte, warm or cool tones. Some have bright colours while others are more natural earth tones. Most people like more natural colours as they are easier to pull off and match everything. Once you know what you like, Catrice make lovely eyeshadows which are very inexpsenive.

Eyebrows - Groomed eyebrows can make all the difference to your face. A clear mascara to comb through and hold them in place will make your face look tidier and you'll appear more awake. Natural Collection make one for about 3e. A brow pencil can be used to fill in and define your bros if they're sparse/overplucked or just a bit pale. I'm blonde and I use Rimmel's Brow Pencil in Hazel, but they make a variety of shades, all about 6e I think.

Lipstick - I loooove lipstick. :) So many companies make nice, affordable lipstick so you'll have no problem fidning something that won't break the bank. Rimmel, Revlon and Barry M are all good for statement shades. Go for a shade close to your natural lip colour if you aren't used to seeing yourself with much colour on your lips. If you do want something safe I'd recommend Boots 17 Moisture Shine lipstick in Beehive, it's a soft pink with a sheen to it, so no need for gloss. :) It's around 6e.

Lipliner- Only really needed if you're wearing a bright shade. Barry M make nice ones that are around 4.50e.

Lipgloss - I'm not much of a gloss girl but again LOADS of options from cheaper brands here. Remember even a bit of vaseline or lip balm will make your lips stand out. :)

Primers - Not really too important for a beginner but worth investiating later on or if you have very oily skin (it helps to make youe make up last all day). I know L'oreal have come out with a face primer that has gotten good reviews. Eyeshadow primers can be great for improving the longevity of your eyeshadow wear and preventing creasing. I use Urban Decay Primer Potion which is around 15e but lasts AGES. You could always use a bit of concealer and powder over your eyelids before applying eyeshadow and that should be grand though.

I think I've covered everything. :) I'm not at all saying that you need all of these things I just wanted to mention every kind of product option. If you wanted to just start with foundation, mascara and lipgloss and that was enough for you then good for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Don't go for everything at once, if you're new to it. Keep it neat and simple to start with :)

I find all I really need is a mascara, some blush and a tinted lipgloss/a little lipstick. Blush is great and makes you look less pale and puts a healthy look on you. I've never been in to glossy-shimmering-lipgloss, so I found a tinted lipbalm that I use instead.
    ... But that's just me.

When I go out for dinners or off to the pub I use more mascara than normally, I wear eye-shadow as well and lipstick (a plain colour, as I like looking "natural")

My advice to you is that when you go to buy your make-up make sure you get help from the staff. They'll let you try a few things on and you can always ask their opinion on what you look good in, but I strongly advice you to trust your own sense of what suits because at the end of the day, that's all that matters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Afaik counter girls get something like 1% commission so its probably a bit inaccurate to say they work for commission as that sounds like the only wages they get is commission but i'm pretty sure they get paid a normal wage and the 1% is a bonus of some sort?

If you're buying a few things you should book in for a make up lesson or makeover, you'll get it included in the price of your products i think. It can be a nice way to try out different make up and decide if you don't like something or to get some new ideas. If buying a foundation in boots def bring a friend so they can swatch for you as they never have assistant for the boots brands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Resi12 wrote: »
    Honestly being very pale, it will be hard to look orange as long as you use your head. Even though you have never worn make-up you can go into a shop and test the lightest foundations on the back of your hand/wrist and see if they match you. It's not as difficult as you may think, bring a friend who knows more if you feel the need or if you can't just try and ask the person working. Now be careful if you ask anyone in Brown Thomas or Debenhams as they work for commission and will most likely try and get the sale rather than see what's best for you.

Do not do this. You need to see the colour on your face as the skin on your hands is different from that on your face. If you apply a small amount to your (clean) jawline and if it blends in with your neck, it will be the right shade for you.

While some counters work on commission, some don't. Going into somewhere like BTs will be intimidating so make sure you have a good idea to what you want and stick to that. If you're not sure about something, don't buy. Bring a friend if you feel more comfortable.

As others have said look at the video bloggers and get tips from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

I am just wondering why noone has mentioned using a tinted moisturiser? At 18, this girl's skin is probably lovely and supple etc, and I would think that a tinted moisturiser would be enough to even out her skin tone (at least for everything other than special occasions). I got away it for years until my skin began to age around thirty-five or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Jelly2 wrote: »
    I am just wondering why noone has mentioned using a tinted moisturiser? At 18, this girl's skin is probably lovely and supple etc, and I would think that a tinted moisturiser would be enough to even out her skin tone (at least for everything other than special occasions). I got away it for years until my skin began to age around thirty-five or so.

Good advice there! (meant to say that in previous post!)

It depends what the OPs skin is like. Some people like coverage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalwaYGaLX1X

i am a make up artist and see your skin type every day! it is harder for pale skins to get the right colour as any foundation too pale can make you look sick! foundation and powder and the most important and i would highly recommend MAC. go to a counter and one of the girls will help you pick out a foundaton to suit you. other than that i would recommend penneys eyeliner, and eyeshadows etc by rimmel! need any advice on application etc mail me! and also re brushes, buy a foundation brush in boots this willl help your make up go on and look better! stay away from sponges as they soak up all the product and causes product wastage

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I'm so sorry about the delayed reply!

former LC student and with the havoc of results paired with my dismal internet connection I haven't been online properly! I have however been reading all your comments on my brothers itouch thingy...

All of this really helps! I have started looking up blogs and tutorials and did invest in a concealer....which has really helped with my eyes. Maybe its because I'm pale but I tend to have constant circles even when not tired.

I think I have what someone in BT2 called combination skin? - I'm actually interested in skincare more than make up so I have a great moisturiser and cleanser, and I try take care of my skin. My nose tends to always be dry where as the rest of my skin is usually fine aside from areas of my forehead. One experiment with foundation appeared all cracked and peeling on my nose/ between my eyebrows despite having a heavy moisturiser on?

I was also looking at tinted moisturisers...specifically the benefit one? It was like €35 but came in a pretty big tube...still thought it looked to dark for my skin despite it being their lightest one and told the woman at the counter I'd think about it.

@Galwaygal: Maybe it's just me but the people at the MAC counter seems very intimidating. When I looked a few days ago there was a huge line of teenage girls so I left....I will (eventually) go up and look :-)

@Resi12: I have blue veins so I take it that means Im a cool skin tone? though I dont really understand what it means...:)

Thanks again people! you have really helped me out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

For me, when I bother with makeup, I usually just go with mascara and foundation. If you get one that matches your skin tone, it can look really natural, and for going out you can add eyeliner or eyeshadow :)

I haven't heard great things about MAC foundations, usually to do with matching the skin tone! I know Leanne Woodfull mentioned it either on her YouTube or her blog - in the lighting at the counter it looked like it matched, but when she got home it didn't match at all!
    Personally, I prefer Avon foundations, they're usually around €10-€15 and have shades for pale people like me, haha! But if you're only discovering make up, play around, try a few things. Don't start with a massively expensive foundation, or a horrendously cheap one. Or if you can get away with it, tinted moisturiser or powder can look really lovely and natural.
    Have fun :D

Advertisement