Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'My UPC' Online Account Query.

• 15-08-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭

Apologies for yet another UPC thread, hopefully this query will be short and sweet.

I'm currently on 15mb broadband, paying 41.75 a month (Dont have TV so paying standalone charge too).

Got a letter through the post saying they are upgrading me to 25mb for 42.75 a month (1 euro increase is standalone charge rising from 6.75 to 7.75 I beleive) and increasing my usage limit from 250gb to 500gb. The letter also says that I have the right to downgrade my service within 30 days of the letter without penalty.

Well I had been thinking of downgrading to the 12mb broadband for a while and save myself 120 a year, and now they are offering to do it without charge, which is great.

When I am logged into 'My UPC' online, can I just select the 12mb broadband option and will it override my 25mb connection, or do i run the risk of actually being charged for both speeds?

I couldnt find any other way to downgrade online, and I really dont fancy calling up customer support!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're going to have to call them up, or write to them, to get this done. The stand alone charge is already €7.75, and has been for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

jor el wrote: »
    You're going to have to call them up, or write to them, to get this done. The stand alone charge is already €7.75, and has been for quite some time.

Ok thanks. If the standalone charge has always been 7.75, then I must have been paying 34.00 a month for the 25mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Charisteas wrote: »
    Ok thanks. If the standalone charge has always been 7.75, then I must have been paying 34.00 a month for the 25mb.
    If you ring them up and threaten to leave then they'll waive the standalone charge and you'll only be paying for the 12MB broadband.

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you ring them up and threaten to leave then they'll waive the standalone charge and you'll only be paying for the 12MB broadband.

This may be more possible to do if I was a 50mb or 100mb customer, but being only a 15mb customer they may call my bluff. May give it a go though, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73827292

I did what you want to do. See last post in above thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Charisteas wrote: »
    This may be more possible to do if I was a 50mb or 100mb customer, but being only a 15mb customer they may call my bluff. May give it a go though, thanks.
    Go in thinking like that and they will call your bluff.;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Go in thinking like that and they will call your bluff.;)

But did you also downgrade to a lower speed?

I figured the two options were to either downgrade to save 10.00 a month, or ask them to waive the standalone charge and save 7.75 a month.

Id be surprised if they would waive the 7.75 if you are also downgrading, they would take a hit of 213 a year, but i didn't ask them when i called so i'll probably never know.

In the end I called up to downgrade from 15mb to 12mb. Will save 120 a year and honestly can't notice any difference in the speed, and the 120GB download cap is still plenty for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I didn't downgrade. I said that I'd leave under the reg 17 and go back to vodafone because I had two friends in work on the same plan as me who didn't have to pay the 7.75, and I thought this was very unfair. She agreed and she kindly dropped the sur charge.

Advertisement