Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student grant query

Options
  • 15-08-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I applied for the student grant and got a letter back today saying i'm ineligible. Now i know i can't get the maintenance part because i will hopefully be getting the the btea. But i thought i would off got something for the fee part.
    I'm doing a PLC so maybe that has some thing to do with it!

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

I did a plc last year and got btea. Once you are on btea, the fees are free you dont have to pay them. You just need the college to print you a receipt saying you are on btea and fees are void. They do that on registration day. Fees are nice and small anyway for plc courses.

So to answer your question if you are on btea you wont be liable to pay the plc registration fees.

If you mean fees to take the course, like if you have to pay for it then i have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭suzycat

Rang the college and they said that i have to pay the course fee which is 560 euro!!
    Money i don't have!!
    All very confusing

Whats the course? I did pre nursing last year, and my registration was paid but then there were other fees associated with the course that i had to pay for myself like, vaccinations, nursing kits, a uniform, and a few other bits. I have not heard of plc courses charging to take their course?

Is it part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭suzycat

Its veterinary assistant in killester college and full time.

Sure i'll find out on day of registration!!

I looked up your course.

You will have to pay the course costs €450 but the good news is they may not look for this straight away, it could be for grooming kits or uniforms which may be spread over a few months.

Your registration fee is not payable by you once you are on btea when the course starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 voxbot

Hi! I have a similar question..

I'm hoping to get BTEA too and my course is a degree course in DCU. I thought I had to apply for a student grant to get my fees paid. Is that incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

voxbot wrote: »

I'm hoping to get BTEA too and my course is a degree course in DCU. I thought I had to apply for a student grant to get my fees paid. Is that incorrect?

Your tuition fees should be paid for by the Higher Education Authority. Is this your first degree, or have you been out of full-time education for the past 5 years?

You should apply to the local authority for the higher education grant. This will cover the registration fees at DCU.

The registration fee is €2,000 this year. This will be paid by the local council if you are eligible for the grant.

The fees section is here for DCU: http://www4.dcu.ie/international/eu_status.shtml

This explains what I said above about your first degree being "fee free" but in more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 orlanda

Can anyone confirm please, maybe its a misprint, Is qualifying age that you must be age 17yrs or older in January 2011 ??? to apply for a grant for this year, sure that would rule out loads of students!!! thanks for any replies to this

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

voxbot wrote: »

You apply for a grant to pay the student contribution fee - The forms are at www.studentfinance.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

orlanda wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm please, maybe its a misprint, Is qualifying age that you must be age 17yrs or older in January 2011 ??? to apply for a grant for this year, sure that would rule out loads of students!!! thanks for any replies to this
    where did you read this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement