Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Companies in Lucan

Options
  • 15-08-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering what companies collect in the Oldbridge area - currently with City Bin but am changing thanks to their 4 euro monthly fee they've just added.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I moved to Thorntons at the start of the year after City Bin jacked up their charges.
    Looks like City Bin have increased their charges again. Bloody 'ell!

THORNTONS RECYCLING

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

Cheers for that - they've introduced a fixed monthly charge which means my one black bin I put out a month would cost over 12 euro :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Going to sign up with Thorntons now

Cheers for that - they've introduced a fixed monthly charge which means my one black bin I put out a month would cost over 12 euro :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Going to sign up with Thorntons now

I always had issues with City Bin due to the lack of clarity regarding their charges.
    Thorntons are fine. They collect the black bin every fortnight and the green and brown bins on the same day on the other weeks.

City bin obviously don't like people who recycle and rarely use the black bin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

currently with City Bin but am changing thanks to their 4 euro monthly fee they've just added.

Where did you get this? I can't see it on their website.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Where did you get this? I can't see it on their website.

Wouldn't be the first time their website was unclear.

I only got my last bill in the last few days, and there's no change in the rate. I used to pay the fixed €20 month fee, but in the last few months I only pay for putting out the grey bin €8.40 per lift (green bin is free)

As Cheeky Munky, I've managed to put it out once every 4 weeks - not bad for a 5 person household :)

I've been with citybin since they started in Lucan a good few years ago and so far I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. They haven't missed a single lift (what a change from the county council :rolleyes:)

If no one can show citybin has just added a €4 monthly fee to their bill, I'm afraid I'll have to call BS on this story :)

Edit: you do realise that both thorntons and citybin charge the exact same rate of €8.40 per lift for the grey bin?

I only got my last bill in the last few days, and there's no change in the rate. I used to pay the fixed €20 month fee, but in the last few months I only pay for putting out the grey bin €8.40 per lift (green bin is free)

As Cheeky Munky, I've managed to put it out once every 4 weeks - not bad for a 5 person household :)

I've been with citybin since they started in Lucan a good few years ago and so far I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. They haven't missed a single lift (what a change from the county council :rolleyes:)

If no one can show citybin has just added a €4 monthly fee to their bill, I'm afraid I'll have to call BS on this story :)

Edit: you do realise that both thorntons and citybin charge the exact same rate of €8.40 per lift for the grey bin?

City Bin were charging me an excess charge if the bin went over 50kg. Thorntons don't charge this.
    Also, if you top up your account online, Thorntons are cheaper than €8.40 because you save 5%, I.e. €7.98.
    Our bin is always well over 50kg when I put it out so Thorntons are ideal for me (the joys of dumping cat litter)

EDIT: just went onto the City Bin site and still can't find where they fully show all their charges. I pretended to sign up and at no point do they mention the excess weight charge. I also can't find it on their site anywhere yet they still claim they charge €8.40 "per empty".

Heroditas wrote: »
    City Bin were charging me an excess charge if the bin went over 50kg.

:eek:

My grey bin is ALWAYS over 50kg. I've never been charged an excess. That's weird stuff!

This is from my last bill:

Order ID Details Qty Charge
    77761 Pay by Lift Option 01/07/2011 - 31/07/2011 1 €0.00
    77763 Organic Bin Service Charge 01/07/2011 - 31/07/2011 1 €0.00

Lift Date Details Weight(kgs) Charge
    13/07/2011 Recyclables Bin 9.50 €0.00
    20/07/2011 Landfill Bin 90.00 €7.40
    27/07/2011 Recyclables Bin 6.50 €0.00

So 1 grey bin lift of 90KG costs €7.40 (plus €1 VAT). Total bill for July €8.40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,
    Just wondering what companies collect in the Oldbridge area - currently with City Bin but am changing thanks to their 4 euro monthly fee they've just added.

Can please show us where you got this from?

Havent heard or read about this anywhere?

Is it just the non monthly ones?

This is from my last bill:

Order ID Details Qty Charge
    77761 Pay by Lift Option 01/07/2011 - 31/07/2011 1 €0.00
    77763 Organic Bin Service Charge 01/07/2011 - 31/07/2011 1 €0.00

Lift Date Details Weight(kgs) Charge
    13/07/2011 Recyclables Bin 9.50 €0.00
    20/07/2011 Landfill Bin 90.00 €7.40
    27/07/2011 Recyclables Bin 6.50 €0.00

So 1 grey bin lift of 90KG costs €7.40 (plus €1 VAT). Total bill for July €8.40

And this is why I left them. They were quite rude when I stated that they had apparently changed the terms and conditions under which I had signed.
    I'll lash up a bill later on.
    It's been a while since I looked at them.

I received an email from them

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Dear ,

Back in 2007, we introduced our Home Green Home household waste service in Dublin and we hope you found the service to be more professional and better value for money.

Over four years ago, when The City Bin Co launched our household service, we promised a cheaper, greener and easier option for Dublin households. We remain very committed to these principles. We also made it clear that we will always be the cheapest household waste collector in your area. This is the situation today and will always remain the case.

That said, from 1st August, we will be changing the price of your waste collection service. Your black bin charges will decrease from €8.40 per empty to €7.40 per empty. At the same time, we will apply a new fixed monthly charge to your account of €4.

Please note that recycling still remains a cheaper and greener alternative to disposing of your waste in landfill. You should therefore continue to operate on the principal that the more you recycle, the less expensive your waste costs will be.

Please call us on freefone 1800 RECYCLE (1800 248924) should you wish to discuss any further.

Finally, I would like to thank you for your continued support of The City Bin Co.

Kind regards,

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'll lash up a bill later on.

Please do. You are sure you are not on a pay per weight contract with them?
    I received an email from them

Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Dear ,

Back in 2007, we introduced our Home Green Home household waste service in Dublin and we hope you found the service to be more professional and better value for money.

Over four years ago, when The City Bin Co launched our household service, we promised a cheaper, greener and easier option for Dublin households. We remain very committed to these principles. We also made it clear that we will always be the cheapest household waste collector in your area. This is the situation today and will always remain the case.

That said, from 1st August, we will be changing the price of your waste collection service. Your black bin charges will decrease from €8.40 per empty to €7.40 per empty. At the same time, we will apply a new fixed monthly charge to your account of €4.

Please note that recycling still remains a cheaper and greener alternative to disposing of your waste in landfill. You should therefore continue to operate on the principal that the more you recycle, the less expensive your waste costs will be.

Please call us on freefone 1800 RECYCLE (1800 248924) should you wish to discuss any further.

Finally, I would like to thank you for your continued support of The City Bin Co.

Kind regards,

I wonder what's that all about? Has anyone else received that email? Surely if they added a fixed €4 per month, they would not be the cheapest provider anymore, hence the statement that they will always be the cheapest would be a lie

Well, I don't know. I just got my August citybin bill and I had one lift of the grey bin (105KG :D) and the total bill is still only €8.40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I moved to thorntons in January after the disgracful service he counsil gave during the bad weather over Christmas and I cant fault them at all.

Just to warn anyone though, if you do move from greyhound, Trying to get them to collect your unused bins can be an ordeal. Took me 5 months and no end of calls and emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Have City Bin changed their charges?

I'm in Fingal and when I joined them they had three plans and I haven't been notified of any change or charged any different (yet anyway)...
    1. 3-bin (black, green, and brown) collection. €20/month. No extra tag charges.
    2. 2-bin (black and green) collection. €6.40/black bin lift. Free green bin lift. Option of brown bin for €6/month.
    3. 2-bin (black and green) collection. €0.30/kg black bin. Free green bin lift. Option of brown bin for €6/month.

Advertisement