Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Timber for outdoor use

Options
  • 15-08-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm doing some work on my house so now have a lot of timber floor joists which I need to make use of. I'm planning on using some of them for making raised beds/log storage etc. and am wondering what's the best way of treating the wood for outdoor use.

I was looking at general wood perserver's (Ronseal/Cupirnol etc) and they seem like they would work but their coverage doesn't seem great so it would be quite expensive. I think they also say you need to re-apply it every 5 years.

My dad has said I should use Protim. He said you will get a lot of coverage from it but he last bought the stuff about 20years ago when he was building an extension and I can't seem to find much info on it online.

Does anyone have any experience with the above or have any better suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hi mr.applepie,
    It depends on wheter you want to go organic or not. The boards that you have can be treated organically or chemically, there are a lot of different options for both. It's fairly detailed, but pm me if you need an organic option, as there are many ways of doing this...I have the experience of making all the mistakes with trying to treat timber for raised beds in the organic way.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I'm not pushed on whether it's organic or not. I just want it to work, last a long time and not cost a lot

I don't think I'm asking for much:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

you will only get protim in places like builders providers, not the likes of B&Q or woodies. If you have a lot of timber to do get a 25 ltr drum of it as it'll work out cheaper per litre that way. Otherwise its just 5 litre cans. As far as i'm aware i think it said that it was harmful to plants and such and might be harmful to health, so i'd advise you to line the inside of the bed with an unbroken sheet of heavy 1200 guage polythene, preferably black so it will be more UV stable.
    I don't place much faith in the water based eco friendly preservatives you get in gargen centres, i suspect its a trick to get people to pay over the odds for crap preservative that only lasts a year or two. The professional stuff will be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

LInseed oil is a great and economical way of preserving timber. It can be a little messy to begin with but with a few coats it will preserve timber really well. When picking out a chemical preservative, the best would be a water based one (hasnt as many nasty ingredients as oil based preservers) cos i really dont think that some products are suitable to preserve timber used for raised beds growing food. maybe it's me just being over-careful.

Advertisement