Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts Please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

thereturn wrote: »
    Hi there. Looking at getting a good road bike for in and around 1300-1600. Was looking in Eurocycles yesterday and liked the look (I know precious little about bikes) of this focus culebro
    http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/bikes-2011/category/racing-bikes-3/model/culebro-10.html
    I was quoted 1499 for that. Seem decent value to anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seems a little expensive for a Aluminium bike -you can get the Cayo (Carbon, though with 105 not Ultegra) for 1297

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

IBTPX

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hi there. Looking at getting a good road bike for in and around 1300-1600. Was looking in Eurocycles yesterday and liked the look (I know precious little about bikes) of this focus culebro
    http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/bikes-2011/category/racing-bikes-3/model/culebro-10.html
    I was quoted 1499 for that. Seem decent value to anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whatever about the bike, I've never found Eurocycles competitive on pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

IBTPX

I'm probably going to regret this ...... but WTF does that mean?

RPL1 wrote: »

...in before the Planet X recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

coolbeans wrote: »
    ...in before the Planet X recommendation.

....... ahhhh ..... Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

in that case: IBTCR :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

RPL1 wrote: »

It might be "I bought the Planet X" or it may have been a typo and he meant "just buy the Planet X". Or maybe it was "idiots buy the Planet X". Who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Where was the R? It's almost as if you were trying to be obtuse;)

No Canyon's yet! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Canyon?

Cannondale?

Cervelo?

Cinelli?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

To be honest I'd rather not order something off the internet. I want to make sure bike is set up well and have somewhere to bring it back if something goes wrong. Even though it has aluminium frame it is only 9kg so I'd have thought that was pretty light. Ultegra is a good groupset too I would have thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Get a Ribble:D

You get best value for money on the net but Focus do have a good rep and Ultegra is a good groupset. If you like it go for it. Given the choice in Eurocycles I'd prefer their Felt bikes.

To be honest I'd rather not order something off the internet. I want to make sure bike is set up well and have somewhere to bring it back if something goes wrong. Even though it has aluminium frame it is only 9kg so I'd have thought that was pretty light. Ultegra is a good groupset too I would have thought?

I'd buy that bike if i had the money, of course you will get carbon at that price but would get cheaper wheels and/or drivetrain parts to make up for the fact the frame is a bit more expensive...

And you will get proper backup and support from a bike shop.....

If you're not sure what you're at I'd definitely go to the LBS for advice. That said I found Eurocycles in the city centre poor in this regard but others have found them good so maybe they were having an off day. FWIW, 2Wheels in Sandymount, passionate cyclists the owners, and the triathlon/bike crowd in Liffey Valley, their name escapes me, really know their stuff and will definitely advise you well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

FWIW I'll throw in my good words for the lads in Sandymount. Top lads, got a few bits in there, also went back with my brother to get him his first road bike and they were top notch.

Was also out in the CycleSuperStore place in Tallaght recently.. WOW!!! Epic shop.... maybe it's not that impressive for everyone but for my first time in there it was a great experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

1499 is a lot of money for a 9kg aluminum bike IMO.

I got a 7.5kg carbon bike, full Ultegra 6700, for €1100 a couple of years ago (Planet X, naturally.) My Focus Cayo (mostly Ultegra SL) cost a little more, same price of £999 but different exchange rate. IMO the PX is a better bike than the Cayo (a lot lighter and stiffer too) but I know they have changed the Cayo frame since my one (2008.)

It is not just the weight either, the bigger difference is that carbon is a LOT more comfortable (soaks up road buzz.)

You can get the PX in Athlone, mixed reports on the lads there.

Given your budget and predilection for bricks and mortar, I'd definitely look in Cyclesuperstore - you could get a nice Ridley Orion (carbon and 105) for 1650, or one of a number of Cube, Giant, LaPierre or even Pinarello bikes for around 1600.

Nothing wrong with the Focus btw, they are great bikes, it just seems a little too expensive at that price

Carbon with 105 is a lot better than aluminum with Ultegra, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

It seems Trek are discounting this year's 3.1 Madone in advance of the 2012 model. I just got one for €1500, instead of €1850 in my LBS. Carbon, 105 groupset, SRAM Apex chainset. Worth a look in any Trek stockist to see if they're offering the same savings

bogmanfan wrote: »
    It seems Trek are discounting this year's 3.1 Madone in advance of the 2012 model. I just got one for €1500, instead of €1850 in my LBS. Carbon, 105 groupset, SRAM Apex chainset. Worth a look in any Trek stockist to see if they're offering the same savings
    Right thanks for the advice bogmanfan and everyone else. Consensus seems to be to get carbon bike with slightly inferior groupset. I live in Laytown so will try shops in Donaghmede and Drogheda. Am I likely to get better value in larger bike shop?

Right thanks for the advice bogmanfan and everyone else. Consensus seems to be to get carbon bike with slightly inferior groupset. I live in Laytown so will try shops in Donaghmede and Drogheda. Am I likely to get better value in larger bike shop?

Hard to say... larger bike shops may be able to provide a larger discount if you're good at haggling as they may have higher margins due to buying power, but this could well be offset by not being able to find anyone willing (or able) to make the decision.

Smaller bike shops may not be able to offer as much (or any discount), but you're more likely to be talking to someone who can make the decision either way

Cast your net a bit wider to the likes of Wheelworx near Liffey Valley, large range of carbon road bikes, best I have seen...You will get a good deal there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just looked at the wheelworx website and saw this Fuji SL 30. Another option perhaps.
    I'm also in a similar position, ie. upgrading, with a budget between €1000 & €1500. I'm hoping to use the BikeToWork scheme aswell, but I'm limited to bricks-n-mortar shops, it's a pity because I'd like to get a Canyon. So, the general consensus seems to be: go for Carbon, but in the b-n-m shops, there's isn't much to choose from.
    Damn you b-n-m shops :mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭smcclaw

Given you're in Laytown it would be worth calling into Quay Cycles in Drogheda. I've always found them very helpful and they usually have a decent range in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

Its worth considering the Orbea Onix from Staggs in Lucan village, carbon with 105 and mavic wheels for E1550. I got one at the start of the year and am very happy with it. I got a good trade in and a few bits thrown in aswell. Plus the lads are sound to deal with and a long cycling backround behind the owners .

Thanks for all the advice thus far. Much appreciated. Have gone to a few bike shops to date. Not many options for below €1600
    The Claud Butler was available in one of them for €1400. Appeared to be a lovely carbon bike. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/torino-2011-road-bike-ec027613

In another shop there was the chance to build bike with a Photon frame for specifications I wanted. So could go for Shimano 105 groupset for roughly same price.

Going to visit a few more places tomorrow but any thoughts on above would be great.

CB is very heavy for a carbon frame and not a good brand (these days.) Not worth €1,400 IMO. Orbea a much better bet.

Never heard of Photon, so sounds very expensive for an unknown frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Anyone know what weight the focus cayo is???

ccull123 wrote: »
    Anyone know what weight the focus cayo is???
    Mine was around 8.5kg (2008) but it may have gotten lighter. Both frame and the stock finishing kit were quite heavy. My PX was 7.5kg stock, light frame, fork and finishing kit.

Visited a few more shops today. One just about within my price range at €1850 from thinkbike is the trek madone 4.5. Groupset is 105. Includes two year free service which would suit me. I can't afford to go anything over that price but bikes I saw for less than that were quite inferior. Anyone any opinions on it? Thanks

• Advertisement

The Trek would be well worth it over anything else you mentioned, they are lovely bikes.

Trek 4.5 seems lovely, but the 3.1 is going for around €1400, also with 105 groupset. Only difference is the carbon used in the frame. Not sure the 4.5 is worth the extra €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gallybander

Whats wrong with Planet X, people ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Whats wrong with Planet X, people ...
    PX seems to be pushed on here by noobs with only one post,or by 1 or 2 well established posters,so people get worried that the bikes lack creditabilty.You don't happen to work for PX Mr g-bender???For every PX fan on here there is 10 (approx figure) who dont own or want to buy a PX.

Trek 4.5 seems lovely, but the 3.1 is going for around €1400, also with 105 groupset. Only difference is the carbon used in the frame. Not sure the 4.5 is worth the extra €450.
    Carbon frame is well worth the extra, believe me. The Madones are lovely bikes and OP would have a frame that would never call out for upgrading. An aluminum Trek is just not comparable (I have owned Treks in both materials.)

As to PX, it is the better value bike by far but the OP has stated that he doesn't want to buy online. The idea it lacks credibility is ridiculous, there are many established posters here who own one, many whom I know IRL and ride with. I don't know of a single one who regretted the purchase. I have one myself as my winter trainer/travel bike and it is a fantastic bike worth substantially more than what I paid for it.

They are not the best bikes in the world, sure, but they probably are the best at their price point. Canyon and Focus (if on sale) are alternative good value bikes also frequently suggested, but also only available online (Focus being available in LBS but not at Wiggle end-of-season sale prices.)

The vast majority of PX naysayers have never ridden one and I suspect have some perverse need to justify that they spent much more on a bike that performs no better. Nothing wrong with buying the bike you want (my race bike, a Litespeed Archon, cost many multiples of my PX, and I am more emotionally attached to it for sure) but no need to belittle the PX either, it is a cracking deal.

• Advertisement

I'd add that Thinkbike are a very good shop, with good service, IMO. I have never bought a bike from them but they have often helped me out more than they needed to with repairs, emergency parts and so on. I went to Joe Daly's where possible but Thinkbike were closer to where I lived.

If you are happy with the price and want to buy from a LBS they are a good choice.

The 3.1 is carbon also

The 3.1 is carbon also
    Sorry, I picked that up wrong and thought the 3.1 was aluminum.

In that case, if the difference is €450, save your money and get the 3.1. The 4.5 is likely just slightly lighter.

Advertisement